Mechapixel Forums

Mechapixel Forums (http://mechapixel.com/forums/index.php)
-   Hobbies & Addictions (http://mechapixel.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Food & Such (http://mechapixel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343)

texasaurus 2009-08-07 11:08

Food & Such

Stumbled on this. I know a there's a few single fellas around here. My brother is still single, and I swear he couldn't make Ice or Toast on his own if I hadn't written down the recipe for him.

http://www.meninaprons.net/

kokopelli 2010-06-13 17:29

Simple, but very effective recipe for Ribs. Tried it out earlier. Used a bit too much rub, but beyond that, it worked wonderfully.

There's a recipe for the rub on the same site. Used it, but as I'm new to rubs, I think I applied a bit too liberally (I'm looking at you, paprika). After the rub, wrapped it up and put in the fridge to marinate for a day. Had it in the oven without sauce. Took 'em out to let them cool, then hit it with some nice bbq sauce and put them in the broiling pan to carmelize. Had to keep close tabs on them, since the heat gets intense, but it did a nice job. I gave today's effort a "B." The rub overtook the bbq flavor just a bit. Next time I'll either just marinate in the sauce, or do a lighter coating of rub, then hit it with the sauce to marinate for 24 hours. The grill is also an option to "finish" them, but today's weather made the broiling pan the better option. They were very tender, and if you like ribs, I'd really encourage y'all to try this out.

p.s. Also learned via the comments to remove the membrane before marinating. This is key. Had tried ribs a few years back without knowing to do that.

b0rg9 2010-06-15 17:46

Good stuff. I learned the membrane removal thing several years ago too. It's a bit of a pain in the ass to do but really worth it.

texasaurus 2010-06-15 17:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by b0rg9 (Post 14962)
Good stuff. I learned the membrane removal thing several years ago too. It's a bit of a pain in the ass to do but really worth it.

but the membrane is where all the vitamins are!

ash# 2010-06-16 8:00

Having a kegger this weekend. I am whipping up my world famous pulled pork. I will post the recipe with pics this this weekend.

Chuck 2010-06-21 5:20

Nobody wants to see pics of you pulling your pork there buddy. :p

Domestic Goddess 2010-06-23 8:18

Please post it. The husband made it a few weeks ago and it was damned awesome but he always wants some tried-and-true BBQ recipes.

ash# 2010-06-23 8:31

Hehe fair enough... I forgot to take pictures of it, so you will have to imagine.

Take a 4-5 pound pork shoulder, also strangely referred to as Boston Butt.

Slice one large onion and put it down in a slow cooker.
Put the pork shoulder on top of the sliced onion.
Stud the top of the pork with 6 or 7 whole cloves.
Put some salt, pepper, some brown sugar, garlic powder, coriander and any other spice you fancy on top.
Slice a second large onion and put it on top of the pork shoulder.
Put about 2 or so cups of water in the bottom of the slow cooker.

Cook on low for 8-12 hours. (I usually let it go over night for about 10 hours)
Enjoy the fact that your house reeks of pork in the middle of the night.

Morning time:
Take pork out and discard the water and onions.
pull the pork apart using a fork... it will fall right apart. Discard the fat.
Put back in slow cooker.
Add in one chopped onion, and about 3/4 of a 16 ounce bottle of BBQ sauce(whatever you like)
Cook another 2 or 3 hours in slow cooker on low.

enjoy the sweet sweet pulled pork.

RepoMan 2010-06-23 9:23

It was delicious.

Domestic Goddess 2010-06-23 15:00

Sounds it!

Gear Jammer 2010-06-23 15:45

:drool:

kokopelli 2010-08-22 16:05

Photography Project Gets to Twinkies' Bare Essence

Dinahmoehum 2010-08-22 16:21

http://www.ray.bt76.com/pics/IMG_5499.jpg

b0rg9 2010-08-22 16:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinahmoehum (Post 18695)

Strawberry? :fear:

Dinahmoehum 2010-08-22 17:31

I didn't have a dollar or I would have tried them!

kokopelli 2010-09-19 14:41

This looks tasty.

Gear Jammer 2010-09-19 15:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by kokopelli (Post 20481)

b0rg9 2010-09-19 15:35

Yeah that does look good. I just have a hard time believing 15 min. is all the cooking time needed for drumsticks. I usually go longer with a lower heat.

stacyrings 2010-09-20 9:33

Made this this weekend. Was awesome!!!

Stacy's home-made potato-corn-green chili soup

6-8 yukon gold potatoes (you can use any kind but these are buttery good)
1 while onion
4-5 cloves garlic, minced
32 oz. chicken broth
1 can whole kernel corn, drained
1 sm. can chopped green chilies
salt and pepper
dash of Tony Chachere's creole seasoning (green can) or anything you like to make it bite
1 stick butter
1 heaping tablespoon flour
half and half

peel and dice potatoes. finely chop onion and saute in large pot with garlic in 3/4 of the butter just until soft. Add potatoes, salt and pepper generously and stir. Cook and stir for a couple of minutes. Add chicken broth. Reduce heat to low-med and cover. When potatoes start to get soft, start to mash in the pot or use a immersion blender but you'll want to leave some chunks. I cooked on low for a couple of hours and mashed several times, about every 20 mins. but you can wait until the potatoes are all soft and just do it once. Add drained corn and chilies. In a separate small skillet, melt remaining butter, add flour and stir. This will make a roux type of mix. Cook for about a minute and stir constantly. Add roux to soup and stir to thicken. Add half and half until desired consistency. Taste for salt and pepper. Add if needed. Add Tony's and stir. Cook until hot, another couple of minutes.

It will thicken as it sits especially overnight so add milk, water, or half and half to thin when you reheat it.

Domestic Goddess 2010-09-20 12:36

Thank you. That made my day!

kokopelli 2010-09-22 9:33

Interesting.

ash# 2010-09-22 9:48

That is probably tasty, but I am uneasy to say the least with the idea of apple on my hot dog. :meh:

Wait, that didn't sound good at all.

bruno 2010-09-26 6:22

If you're a BBQ sauce aficionado that like to order shit off the internet that doesn't run on batteries or inflate I'll vouch for this stuff:

Black Swamp Barbeque Sauce.

Think the trick is they use habanero peppers instead of jalapeņo. Great flavor without overpowering heat.

Had it at my brothers place on wings....asked what it was. They had a booth at a festival yesterday, ended up buying four jars of the stuff. Made some wings last night and they were pretty much gone. Deelish.

kokopelli 2010-10-03 9:25

OH. MY. GOD.

ash# 2010-10-26 12:42

Couple of things going on here...

My wife has a blog these days where she posts some pretty good recipes, so check em out.

And I posted a "guest blog" today with a beer review.

Link here....

B L 2010-10-26 14:06

Hey, I kinda like your wife's stuff. Yeah, I mean her writing. You have grammatical issues, but whatever. I want that soup.

ash# 2010-10-26 14:25

What are my grammatical issues out of curiosity?

And yea that soup was awesome.

B L 2010-10-26 14:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by ash# (Post 22898)
What are my grammatical issues out of curiosity?

And yea that soup was awesome.

Keep in mind that I don't really know English. I just know the biggies like "their they're there" that make people look silly.

In all honesty I only read the first bit so far. I'll finish it from home. Anyway, since you axed: The second sentence is a question without a question mark. Soon after that you said something like "there are a huge amount." To the best of my knowledge that should be "there is a huge amount." However, that's one that I don't get. That and whom. I've never understood wtf whom is for.

kokopelli 2010-11-03 15:10

It's back... http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/1919/ribwichgif.gif

b0rg9 2010-11-03 18:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by kokopelli (Post 23377)

And with that...

http://www.foodfacts.info/mcrib/