View Single Post
Unread 2011-07-31, 19:10   #6
Gear Jammer

Jan 14 2004
5,555 posts
Male
Visiting my brain at the funny farm.

I disagree that this is really about Tea Party thinking. I'm not a Tea Party spokesmen in any way shape or form, I'm not even registered with any tea Party group, but I can see the peril that we've put ourselves in by rapidly going from the greatest lending nation on earth to the biggest debtor nation. Under GW Bush, and the Congresses of that time, we doubled our debt in 8 years. Under Obama, and the Congresses of his time, we are on pace to redouble it by the end of Obama's first term. This exponential growth of debt has to stop now. We are dangerously close to the level of debt vs national GDP that sent Greece into bankruptcy.

The Tea Party however is not of a single mind, it's thousands of small groups ranging from a few to thousands of members across the country, unifying under a single banner (Tea Party). Some of the individual groups may have ideas far afield from others, but ultimately one thing I believe that most would like to see is a return to the Congress/ government being bound to it's Constitutionally enumerated powers.

The US was originally set up to be a collection of nation states under the protection of a single defense, that being the US federal military. The individual states were to have greater power than that of the federal government, not as they are now where they have to go begging to the various federal government bureaucracies for money to finance their citizens needs, and in doing so bow to the singular mandates handed down by the federal government, that may work just fine in some areas of the country, but be insane in others. An example of this would be the federally mandated 55mph speed limit of some years back that was required to be adhered to by all the states in order to get federal money for roads. From a safety stand point it made perfect sense in a congested urban to suburban setting, but in rural areas, just silly.

Were the federal government to decrease their spending on such things, and leave it to the individual states, which all have their own redundant agencies to handle most everything the federal government does, coupled with a matching decrease in federal taxation, the states could increase their taxation to what ever level necessary to fulfill the promises they've made to their citizenry without going begging to the federal government. A state that finds it's over-promised what it can legitimately do without the begging of money from the federal government would have to restructure it's spending as well. States that find themselves in surplus, after being reduced of the burden of federal mandates could give tax cuts. States that flourish would be looked at by states that are over burdened for ideas that might work for them as well. 50 states generating, and trying different ideas, with the best ideas making their way into other states works far better than singular mandates being forced upon all 50 states by one overarching federal government.

In short, just because the federal government doesn't do something that needs doing, it doesn't mean it won't be done, if not by the States, by the County or local government, or even privately.

Ouch my fingers hurt, think I'll call it a post.