View Single Post
Unread 2011-08-01, 5:26   #9
Chuck

May 6 2003
16,511 posts
Age 62
Male
The real America not that part where you live.

I have lived my life as a moderate and always registered as an independent. Then in the past few years as I see the right wing extremists trying to take over I am becoming more and more liberal. I see insane members of congress like Ron and Rand Paul being hailed as heroes and it scares me. I see nut-jobs mentioning Ayn Rand "novels" as gospel and it scares me. As far as I can tell the only thing Ron Paul thinks is necessary for government to do is pay his salary.
We no longer live in the simple times of the eighteenth century. We, as any society needs to progressed and amazingly so in some ways. Our forefathers could not see the need for massive highways, mass communication, advances in medicine to allow for longer lives, the days when black people were not property and a million other things. Sure they only wanted a strong defense, their needs were simple as were times.
Sorry I don't want to go back to a time when life expectancy was about 45, when people could be property and when only the most wealthy could get an education.