View Single Post
Unread 2012-04-10, 9:00   #20
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
33,362 posts
Age 50
Male
On the trails

I'm only a little way in, but so far I think it's great. It reminds me more than a little of Chuck Palahniuk with all the observations and critique of what we think of as everyday life. That to me is a key aspect of zombie entertainment, and these days it's often lacking, replaced by simple gore and carnage. For example, this passage:

Gary didn’t have much sympathy for the dead, a.k.a. the “squares,” the “suckers,” and the “saps.” When using the word “dead,” most survivors signaled to the listener, through inflection and context, whether they were talking about those who had been killed in the disaster or those who had been turned into vehicles of the plague. Gary made no such distinction; with few exceptions, they were equally detestable. The dead had paid their mortgages on time, and placed the well-promoted breakfast cereals on the table when the offspring leaped out of bed in their fire-resistant jammies. The dead had graduated with admirable GPAs, configured monthly contributions to worthy causes, judiciously apportioned their 401(k)s across diverse sectors according to the wisdom of their dead licensed financial advisers, and superimposed the borders of the good school districts on mental maps of their neighborhoods, which were often included on the long list when magazines ranked cities with the Best Quality of Life. In short, they had been honed and trained so thoroughly by that extinguished world that they were doomed in this new one. Gary was unmoved.