Post New Thread Reply
Unread 2019-01-12, 11:04   #1
aarkieboy

Feb 5 2003
80,996 posts
Age 62
Male
Somewhere on this ball we call "Earth"

"NEW YORK ó How much do you know about your family tree? For many folks, itís not very much. A recent survey finds that a third of Americans canít even name all four of their grandparents, incredibly.

While DNA kits that trace oneís ancestry have surged in popularity over the years, there are still plenty of people who donít seem to care too much about where they came from. The survey of 2,000 Americans showed that a third of respondents struggled to climb the branches of their family tree beyond their grandparents.

One in five couldnít even name one of their great-grandparents.

ďIn recent decades, weíve seen a major upswing in interest when it comes to researching family history, and this is largely due to the accessibility of historical information,Ē says Jennifer Utley, Director of Research at Ancestry.com, which commissioned the survey, in a statement. ďThis valuable historical data is helping people paint a picture of their past.Ē

It wasnít just names of relatives that respondents failed to come up with either. A fifth didnít know the city that any of their grandparents were born in, and 14 percent had no idea what their grandparents even did for a living." (More)
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Unread 2019-01-12, 11:22   #2
Chuck

May 6 2003
16,131 posts
Age 62
Male
The real America not that part where you live.

Know my grandparents history pretty well and easy as to what they did for a living, dirt poor farmers, the lot of them.
Unread 2019-01-13, 5:26   #3
PegLeg
Mecha+ Member

Nov 1 2004
2,013 posts
SoPo, Me

When I was 16 or 17, my maternal grandfather and I spent an evening together at the family camp and he told me stories of its building and his growing up. Even as the highly attitudinal ass I was at that age I loved that night. but as time passed the memories of those stories faded. To help preserve some of that family history, several years back I sat both my parents down and had them relate memories of their parents, and I had a video camera set up to record it.

The night after recording my Dad, his youngest sister (there is over a decade difference in their age) joined us for dinner. When The topic came up she started asking my Dad questions based on her memories as a little girl and we heard things I never would have been able to get from him. Alas I didn't set the camera up for that as I didn't want the moment to be lost. But like with Gramp, all that remains is the fond memory of event, not much of the detail. honestly though that isn't so bad either.

And a couple of years back my better half and made a weekend journey to the small wide spot in the road where my Dad was born. We stopped at many of the the many small cemeteries we could find. I did visit the grave of his paternal grand parents but could not find his great grand parents despite having a fair confidence about which cemetery they where supposed to be in. Though honestly that didn't surprise us when we saw how many unmarked plots there were.

And one of the truly strangest parts of that trip was finding my name on the 'those that served' WWI war memorial. A strong reminder of how my Dad felt it important that his Dad's name live in through me.

Last edited by PegLeg; 2019-01-13 at 5:43.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Unread 2019-01-13, 10:49   #4
h2ogate

Feb 4 2003
1,597 posts
Age 62
Male
Downtown San Jose, CA

Both my Grandpas were farmers - one growing oranges, the other avocados. My Mom's dad tended his avocado trees until the day he died. My Dad's dad moved on to other careers by the time I knew him, selling real estate before then retiring. I remember my dad telling stories about helping to light the smudge pots on cold nights to keep the oranges from freezing.
Go Back   Mechapixel Forums > Main > Aarkie's Corner > Third Of Americans Canít Even Name All 4 Grandparents, Survey Finds
Post New Thread Reply