Unread 2010-08-15, 19:41   #1
Ved
Administrator

Feb 3 2003
4,678 posts
Age 40
Male
Dallas

A couple people have asked about this and since I have no shame, I added a Paypal link on the left side if anyone was actually wanting to help out a little bit with hosting.

But wait! Read on before doing anything like that. I want to be very clear about some things because I'd love it if the site started paying for itself again, but I feel awkward in asking for anything so soon. I am just now starting to be a responsible site owner again, and I don't blame you guys if you are weary that the site might just go neglected again. I don't have any plans on letting that happen, but I do feel guilty for neglecting this community over the past year.

Anyway here is a disclaimer:
  • The hosting we currently have at JaguarPC costs 1/4 of what it used to (and as such we have much more limited resources). Hosting is only $30 base per month now, so it won't take much in terms of donations to cover the cost. I've footed the bill for the most part for the past year (with the exception of a couple of $10-20 donations from kind people who helped despite Mecha being nothing more than a generic forum).

• The site is NOT in danger of being shut off. This is not a "save Mechapixel" plea. I'm putting up a donation link to cover hosting costs, but I will find a way to pay it if need be. That way being, it is paid at the beginning of the month out of my paycheck, since I actually have the money to do so.

• Again, it only costs $30 per month currently. If you do want to donate, it doesn't need to be much. If you don't, that's perfectly fine.

• Donations do not gain you extra services (at this time); all you receive is my thanks and love for helping with the site.

• Several people had active Mecha+ subscriptions when the site went down last year. I kept track of those people and how long they had remaining on their M+, and once contests are running again and there is something tangible to offer, I will reinstate their subscriptions. It won't be for a while, but it won't be forgotten.
So that's it! Thanks to all of you for sticking around, and I look forward to getting all the goodies we used to enjoy back online.
Unread 2010-08-16, 5:25   #2
Chuck

May 6 2003
15,343 posts
Age 61
Male
The real America not that part where you live.

Sent some funds via paypal and then the redirect back to here for verification went to a bad page. So I guess I am asking can you verify the funds actually are getting to you.
Unread 2010-08-16, 8:43   #3
Ved
Administrator

Feb 3 2003
4,678 posts
Age 40
Male
Dallas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
Sent some funds via paypal and then the redirect back to here for verification went to a bad page. So I guess I am asking can you verify the funds actually are getting to you.
Oops, I fixed that post-transaction redirect page, but yeah it went though. Thanks Chuck!

Edit: and hey this month's hosting is now paid, wooo.

Last edited by Ved; 2010-08-16 at 9:11. Reason: .
Unread 2010-08-19, 5:32   #4
Gear Jammer

Jan 14 2004
5,555 posts
Male
Visiting my brain at the funny farm.

I no longer have a Paypal account, and my CC is currently canceled, due to some douche stealing my number, with a new card delivery in the next few days. When I do get my new card, can I contribute directly by using my card, or only through PayPal?
Unread 2010-08-19, 8:24   #5
Ved
Administrator

Feb 3 2003
4,678 posts
Age 40
Male
Dallas

Well we don't have a merchant or anything like that, so unfortunately right now I think it's only Paypal. Maybe a cashier check? I don't recall what we used to do for non-Paypal members. I'll think up an alternate solution sometime, but it's no biggie right now. I appreciate the kind thoughts.
Go Back   Mechapixel Forums > Site Discussion > Announcements > Announcement Archive > Donation link added to left sidebar