Go Back   Mechapixel Forums > Main > General
Post New Thread Reply
Unread 2009-07-22, 18:30   #1
texasaurus

Mar 31 2003
2,436 posts
Male
Fort Worth, Texas

Well, I wish I was relaying story that had a happier beginning, but I have faith that this one will have a much happier ending. I will try to make this brief, because it is very sad- and we kinda have our hands full in the house right now..

You can start here, but this ain't the whole story. http://www.kauz.com/news/51063257.html

496 dogs were rescued from a puppy mill. The lady running it has been charged. Chesapeake Energy (A Natural Gas Company round here) has graciously donated a building in Fort Worth to house the poor creatures..

from PFC's FB feed: "just came from this warehouse... Sheryl and I left with 4 Schnauzers, a male and a female with 2 puppies. They are both EMACIATED with almost NO FUR. The male, who I dubbed "Itchy," a sarcoptic/demodex mange suspect, was so frightened that he crawled out of the crate he was in. Scabies be damned, I cradled him, scratched him and kissed him as I tearfully told him his life would never be the same."

We could not stand by and do nothing. We have taken in the mother and her two puppies- even with a house load already (our two and Repo + the 2 kitties) The mother is in pretty bad shape. We just took them in today, so I'll let PFC comment on their health and whatnot. Keep in mind there are still hundreds of dogs whose future is in question.

We need some help naming the puppies, They are about 4 weeks old, and VERY cute. Any suggestions? We knew immediately what we would call the new mama. Mechas, meet Stacy and her family:

Click the image to open in full size.

My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Unread 2009-07-22, 20:17   #2
stacyrings

Nov 29 2004
1,201 posts
Age 51
Female
Dallas

Lil Stacy is adorable and so are her pups. Are you going to give the pups a Mecha name or just something fitting them?

Tex, you and PFC are truly great people. Thank you for helping these animals.
Unread 2009-07-23, 8:00   #3
Gear Jammer

Jan 14 2004
5,555 posts
Male
Visiting my brain at the funny farm.

Tex, I wish I had the strength to be able to do what you and PFC do for them Texas pups. It's all I can do to keep up with Frosty puppy though. Ya'll are awesome taking care of the pups that've been so mistreated.
Unread 2009-07-23, 8:07   #4
bruno

Feb 4 2003
4,462 posts
Age 50
Male
Toledo Burbs

I GoogleNewsd around yesterday reading the news about the puppy mill, terrible stuff.

Ended up on the website for "Maggic Pets/Heddins Kennel". The worst things are the pictures of puppies for sale, all shot with flowers, toys, etc in the portraits.

Knowing they grabbed a puppy, cleaned it up and took a "cute" picture and threw the dog right back in the craphole after. None of the dogs look really happy.
Unread 2009-07-23, 9:04   #5
texasaurus

Mar 31 2003
2,436 posts
Male
Fort Worth, Texas

Puppies have been dubbed "Wednesday and Pugsly"! They are doing fine, and made it through the first night ok. Stacy is eating well and puppies are sleeping most of the time. Stacy is still very timid and a little confused when we let her outside and try to pet her, but we think with lots of love and attention they are all going to do well.

And I appreciate the warm thoughts, guys- and yeah, I hope the lady behind all this mess ends up in jail. It's just heartbreaking knowing all this was going on- and even though the dogs were rescued from her, my bet is that the majority are gonna be put down. From what PFC says there were lots of dogs in very bad condition and there's just not enough rescue organizations and volunteers to handle this sort of mass influx.
Unread 2009-07-23, 11:23   #6
stacyrings

Nov 29 2004
1,201 posts
Age 51
Female
Dallas

Wednesday and Pugsly are great names!
Unread 2009-07-23, 21:27   #7
Domestic Goddess

Jan 19 2007
2,023 posts
Age 47
City of Brotherly Love

Vent away. I'm so disgusted by the whole thing. I'm sorry but anyone that treats an animal that way...It just makes me want to vomit. And PA has got it BAD with the puppy mills. Luckily, we have some great organizations that are working to change things!

keep up the good work! Y'all are saints!
Unread 2009-07-24, 9:00   #8
texasaurus

Mar 31 2003
2,436 posts
Male
Fort Worth, Texas

I know this is going to sound goofy, but I had to share something with you folks. For the first time since she's been with us, lil' Stacy came up to me and raised up and put her front legs on my lap, wanting me to scratch her head this morning when we took her outside. It's something all dogs do (and normally you'd holler 'get down') but you have to understand that she was very weak when we got her- and very scared and timid around everything. When we went to pet her at first, she would cower down and shake. She is still unable to jump up on anything- even small things (We have a little bricked in flower garden sort of thing in area in our backyard we've been building that's about 8 inches high off the ground and the other dogs jump all over it..she can't even jump up on that yet) She has gained strength even in the short time she's been with us, and we are very happy she is getting comfortable in our home, and more importantly getting comfortable with experiencing affection. It's amazing what a little love and some pricey dog food on a regular basis can accomplish.. baby steps, Stacy..
Unread 2009-07-24, 21:21   #9
texasaurus

Mar 31 2003
2,436 posts
Male
Fort Worth, Texas

We got a few pictures from one of the families that adopted one of our fosters!

Remember CHUCK??? look how happy he looks! (BTW they are still calling him Chuck!)

Unread 2009-07-30, 9:28   #10
texasaurus

Mar 31 2003
2,436 posts
Male
Fort Worth, Texas

Pup-date on Repo:

Repo went with us over the weekend to a fund raising event, and met a couple that is interested in him. Last night after work, PFC and I took lil' Repo over to their place in Watauga (home of Chef's Point Cafe, which is fantastic http://www.chefpointcafe.org/) for a visit with the people interested in him, and to see if he would get along with they two dogs the currently have. Everything went well, all the dogs got along, and we should be hearing from them over the next few days. Repo still has another Doctor's appointment next week, so we will still have him for a little while longer. He's really a sweet dog and he is looking SO much better now that he's had some regular meals and TLC and attention. I will get some pics of him before he leaves us..
Unread 2009-08-04, 19:11   #11
texasaurus

Mar 31 2003
2,436 posts
Male
Fort Worth, Texas

It's Repo's last day with us. One of the ladies from the Schnauzer rescue is coming to get him tonight- he's got a doctor's appointment in the morning, then on to his new home in Watauga, Texas. Repo is a great story- he's cleaned up nice and put on some weight- really came back to life after showing up to us in pretty bad shape. He is really a very sweet dog and we wish him a very happy and wonderful life.

Unread 2009-08-17, 10:06   #12
texasaurus

Mar 31 2003
2,436 posts
Male
Fort Worth, Texas

News on the Dogs:

Well, it was an eventful weekend, dog-wise at our house. The family that adopted Repo emailed PFC and it looks like everything is going well there- they sent a few pictures to her, I'll try to get her to share..

Regarding Stacy and the puppies: Little Wednesday and Pugsly have moved over to another foster family. They were picked up Saturday by one of the Schnauzer rescue folks. It was time to go ahead and separate them from the mama. The puppies are doing fine so far- but we've had a issue come up with mama Stacy.

Yesterday afternoon Stacy started coughing and her temperature quickly shot up and she's feeling pretty ill. She hasn't eaten anything since yesterday morning- just been laying in her crate, and we are getting a little worried. PFC talked to Dr. Collette last night and there are a few things that might be wrong: It could be kennel cough, which can be treated pretty easily. It could be distemper- which would be bad. It might be the onset of doggy pneumonia, which isn't going to be any fun- but treatable. She was scheduled to have her sterilization surgery this week, but that's been canceled until we know for sure what's going on with her. We are most worried that this might be distemper, because this came on very suddenly.
Unread 2009-08-18, 16:10   #13
stacyrings

Nov 29 2004
1,201 posts
Age 51
Female
Dallas

Poor lil Stacy. I hope you can get it figured out and get her healed. :(
Unread 2009-08-26, 23:16   #14
Dinahmoehum

Nov 1 2004
6,169 posts
Age 61
I'm Oprah Rich!

Because dogs can't even spell dignity!
Unread 2009-08-27, 5:49   #15
Gear Jammer

Jan 14 2004
5,555 posts
Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinahmoehum View Post

OMG!!! Those poor dogs. Someone needs to check the meds on they're owners.
Unread 2009-08-27, 6:02   #16
texasaurus

Mar 31 2003
2,436 posts
Male
Fort Worth, Texas

The buffalo-poodle (buffaloodle?) is kinda cool looking, but yeah- the owners are on teh weedz or something.
Unread 2009-08-31, 12:03   #17
Domestic Goddess

Jan 19 2007
2,023 posts
Age 47
City of Brotherly Love

Gosh, that's awful!
Unread 2009-08-31, 12:09   #18
Domestic Goddess

Jan 19 2007
2,023 posts
Age 47
City of Brotherly Love

Also? My new baby:
Bristol. Border Collie/Black Lab/ don't know who the baby Daddy is but maybe beagle. She's sweet and awesome!
Unread 2009-08-31, 17:16   #19
texasaurus

Mar 31 2003
2,436 posts
Male
Fort Worth, Texas

Congrats, DG! Sweet lookin' couple of critters you got there.
Unread 2009-09-01, 14:15   #20
FulanoDeTal
Mecha+ Member

Jul 25 2006
5,598 posts
Age 41
Male
Indianapolis, IN

♪...Aaand they call it Puppy LoOove...♪
nice looking pooch. have fun with her!
Unread 2009-09-02, 12:18   #21
texasaurus

Mar 31 2003
2,436 posts
Male
Fort Worth, Texas

Got some update pictures from the family that adopted Repo. Thought I'd share- he looks like he's found him a good home..

Playin' with his new buddy..

Chillin'... (I'm assuming they are watching DWTS)

Car rides! YAY!!!

Unread 2009-09-02, 14:59   #22
Domestic Goddess

Jan 19 2007
2,023 posts
Age 47
City of Brotherly Love

ME LIKE!
Unread 2009-09-15, 19:58   #23
texasaurus

Mar 31 2003
2,436 posts
Male
Fort Worth, Texas

Stacy's new family picked her up today while I was at work. I'm kinda of glad that I wasn't here, because Stacy has been a very special dog for us. She was rescued from a puppy mill, a bad one. When we got her she was malnourished, grossly underweight, had hair loss all over and terrified of everything. And she smelled. Bad. About all we knew for sure about her history was that she had been kept in a cage her whole life, forced to breed and ignored. We gave her a bath, and fed her the good food- after a few weeks her hair started growing back, and she started to put on some weight. I knew when I left for work this morning that it would most likely be the last time I saw her. She is still very timid- she never jumps up on the couch or barks very much- and for the first time just last night she took a treat out of my hand, instead of cowering down when I held a little kibble out for her. I'm very proud of her recovery. She was hopping around and loving on me and acting like a regular dog, which is what we were praying for- that she would finally get the chance to just be a regular dog. We gave her all the love we could up to her very last minute with us and I hope her new family stay in touch with us because she is truly a success story and a beautiful little critter.

Unread 2009-09-16, 20:18   #24
Gear Jammer

Jan 14 2004
5,555 posts
Male

Good to hear that Stacy pup came around so well, you guys do great work.

Lets see, from the photo, older gent with white goatee, Stacy pup with white goatee...yep, perfect match.
Unread 2009-09-24, 7:26   #25
texasaurus

Mar 31 2003
2,436 posts
Male
Fort Worth, Texas

Stacy has been renamed 'Heidi'. Her new family is great and sending us the occasional update and picture, which makes us happy :)

Unread 2009-09-24, 16:24   #26
kokopelli
Administrator

Feb 4 2003
6,477 posts
Male
Stavromula Beta

Beautiful stuff, tex. PFC and you are doing truly special things.
Unread 2009-10-06, 18:44   #27
texasaurus

Mar 31 2003
2,436 posts
Male
Fort Worth, Texas

PFC and I took a little break from the fostering for a bit due to the big party we threw for my Daughter (Baby shower- it all went great, BTW..) So yesterday the Schnauzer folks gave a call and asked if we could help out with a new rescue from the Tri-Cities Shelter.. and of course we can't say no.. This one is a fairly big guy, about two yrs old.. knows how to 'sit', pees outside, and so far is just a sweetheart..

Mechapeeps, meet Woodman! (This one already had a name, and it works for him)

Unread 2009-10-07, 10:30   #28
Domestic Goddess

Jan 19 2007
2,023 posts
Age 47
City of Brotherly Love

Can you call him Woody for short?
Unread 2009-10-07, 11:49   #29
texasaurus

Mar 31 2003
2,436 posts
Male
Fort Worth, Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domestic Goddess View Post
Can you call him Woody for short?
Nope. PFC says Woodman. She's the final say on the dog names and has been very generous in accepting my ideas for names, so I'm not arguing with her about it. I might call him woody when she's not around, though. SHHHHHH!
Unread 2009-10-08, 9:09   #30
Domestic Goddess

Jan 19 2007
2,023 posts
Age 47
City of Brotherly Love

HAHAHAHA!!! My thoughts exactly!
Go Back   Mechapixel Forums > Main > General > Pets & Stuff
Post New Thread Reply