Unread 2013-04-25, 15:56   #1
FulanoDeTal
Mecha+ Member

Jul 25 2006
5,605 posts
Age 41
Male
Indianapolis, IN

So I just started this today. My GF's co-workers invited us in and I've only just now loaded it up. I'm not sure how much I'll get into it but it seems very interesting at the start, maybe some of you will be interested too.

Ingress is a game for Android. It's an "augmented reality" MMO. You interact with the game as you physically move around. There are virtual portals throughout the real world that you're supposed to capture for your team. There are two teams you can choose from. (I'm on the green team, the Enlightened). There's more to it, but the cool thing I found is that these portals can be near interesting places in town that you may never have come across otherwise.

Right now the game is in closed Beta but you can get invited in. I think that after I level up I might be given an invite or two so if you're interested I might be able to help later on. You can request an invite from the game's site directly or apparently there are places on line, like reddit, to request from.

Game Wiki
Official Game site
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-05-01, 12:56   #2
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
33,362 posts
Age 50
Male
On the trails

Interesting.
Unread 2013-05-01, 13:40   #3
FulanoDeTal
Mecha+ Member

Jul 25 2006
5,605 posts
Age 41
Male
Indianapolis, IN

I just got back from a long walk around downtown Indy capturing and upgrading and leveling up. If anything this game may help me to drop a few pounds. I've been enjoying this game a lot but unless there are new updates that help with longevity I can see how you could burn out relatively quickly. But I'm positive there will be lots of new things added by the time it's officially released.

Earlier in the week I did a loop around and passed another person playing. Being the introvert that I am IRL, I didn't say anything to him. Turns out that he was on the other team and took out the couple of portals I had just taken. I'm glad I didn't say anything to him, that jerk

Since I work downtown, there are lots of portals to go after and they're constantly changing hands so it gives me a reason to continue to go out, but my gf and her co-workers are way out in a little town south of here where there isn't much, so they're constantly revisiting the same ones over and over and I'm sure it gets monotonous. So depending on your location, your enjoyment of the game could vary.
Unread 2013-05-02, 13:10   #4
FulanoDeTal
Mecha+ Member

Jul 25 2006
5,605 posts
Age 41
Male
Indianapolis, IN

I finally got one (1) invite code if anyone is interested. I'll have the game email it to you.
Go Back   Mechapixel Forums > Entertainment Warehouse > Gaming > Ingress (Android game)
Post New Thread Reply