HomeContestsQueueShowcaseArcadeForumsMembersAboutContact
Unread 2014-11-12, 8:07   #1
ash#

Nov 1 2004
10,024 posts
Age 47
Male
One of those indoor shopping malls

So gimme some early reviews on Master Chief Collection. After deleting half the games on my hard drive I got it installed last night but didnt get to play. I checked out the menu system and man does it look like a shitload of Halo.

Did they get the matchmaking issues sorted out or was it still a nightmare when you guys played last night?

I should be on tonight. And yes I did get the nerd goosebumps from the Halo music in the menu.
Unread 2014-11-12, 9:14   #2
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
33,338 posts
Age 50
Male
On the trails

IT IS A SHITLOAD OF HALO.

It is also Halo. Half the time I was clicking the left stick trying to run faster and throwing grenades when I was trying to zoom in.

I know Jango played some multiplayer and had issues but was able to play. We played a coop Halo 2 level that worked great. The playlists look like they could be a lot of fun, they have a cross-game category that has stuff like all the levels with tanks across all the games, or the final escape from all the games. Stuff like that.

The cut scenes are skippable unlike ahem HELLO DESTINY but they're totally worth watching because they look pretty awesome.

Coop restrictions: Halo 1 and 2 are 2 player only. Halo 3 and 4 are 4 player. So I guess it would be annoying to play one of the cross-game playlists with more than 2 people. I hope it would just warn you that there are too many people in your party to play the Halo 1 or 2 level it's trying to load.

I will say I had to quit and play some Destiny because while I love Halo, Destiny's gameplay is really next level compared to the Halos. Halo feels more than a little clunky in comparison. Which is not to say I didn't know that going in. I mean it's not like going back to Qbert or anything.

As expected it's the definitive Halo collection. As Jango noted it is too bad there's no ODST. I'd revisit that one.

Oh, and seamlessly switching back to the old graphics is hilarious at times. It's an instant switch unlike the Halo 1 anniversary game.
Unread 2014-11-12, 20:24   #3
JangoFett
Mecha+ Member

Nov 1 2004
3,467 posts
Age 40
Male
Long, long ago in a galaxy far, far away

So much Halo. I got into two multiplayer matches. Just two. I hope they fix that soon.

The matchmaking seems to be affecting the speed run times too, I hope that gets hammered out, because that seems fun.

I will say that Destiny's gunplay seems way better than Halo. I just hate the endless grinding in Destiny and would rather play some Halo 3 multiplayer at some point.
Unread 2014-11-13, 8:20   #4
ash#

Nov 1 2004
10,024 posts
Age 47
Male

Agree that the gameplay is a bit dated, especially Halo CE. I did however, have a blast playing that coop Epic Battles playlist. The Halo 2 level we did was awesome, and I was not bothered at all by the older gameplay. Probably because I was the gunner in the Gauss Warthog.

Absolutely agree that the grinding in Destiny is starting to get to me. When I fire the game up, the only prospect for advancement is finding shards and once I find like 15 more, I might have enough to get to level 29... And what does that actually get me in the end? Not much. Needs more story expansion, new bounties, new everything.

I think maybe I will revise my earlier comment and say I would be interested in playing some Halo 3 MP once they have matchmaking fixed. I could do some Halo 4 MP too, I enjoyed that.
Unread 2014-11-13, 9:46   #5
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
33,338 posts
Age 50
Male
On the trails

Yeah, that Halo 2 bridge level in the Epic playlist is great, and the Covenant one from Halo 3 that is next is a favorite. Played that tons of times.

Apparently they're going to be updating some things in Destiny in the coming months and one of the tidbits was "new economies." I hope that means we can trade useless crap for useful crap.

After playing so many hours of Destiny with a scout rifle, I'm looking forward to some Swat. I think.
Unread 2014-11-13, 9:54   #6
ash#

Nov 1 2004
10,024 posts
Age 47
Male

heheheh How about Swatguns. Or Swatty Snipers. Swipers? I liked how Halo had so many game variants.
Unread 2014-11-13, 11:14   #7
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
33,338 posts
Age 50
Male
On the trails

Yeah, why the hell doesn't Destiny have this? Hell, they could have playlists where you need to own a particular exotic. Shotty Icebreakers anyone? Maybe having "fun" playlists would take away from the gravitas of the Crucible, I mean guardian training is serious work and not supposed to be fun and games. NOSE TO THE GRINDSTONE GUARDIANS!
Unread 2014-11-14, 9:12   #8
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
33,338 posts
Age 50
Male
On the trails

That was some fun stuff last night even with the lag.
Unread 2014-11-14, 9:23   #9
ash#

Nov 1 2004
10,024 posts
Age 47
Male

Maybe they are trying to exactly recreate the 2007 gaming experience, lag and everything. Taking off the rose colored glasses, I do remember lag back in the day.
Unread 2014-11-14, 9:43   #10
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
33,338 posts
Age 50
Male
On the trails

What, Halo2 worked great over XLink Kai on the modded Xboxes!
Unread 2014-11-14, 9:50   #11
ash#

Nov 1 2004
10,024 posts
Age 47
Male

haha yea. Praying every time you turn on the console a blue light comes out of the vents on the side instead of a red light.
Unread 2014-11-14, 10:18   #12
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
33,338 posts
Age 50
Male
On the trails

Just don't jostle it and knock the wedge of paper keeping the chip in place loose.
Unread 2014-12-22, 16:56   #13
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
33,338 posts
Age 50
Male
On the trails

Well hey, at least we're getting the ODST remake for free as an apology (among some other things):

http://www.destructoid.com/343-apolo...e-285283.phtml
Unread 2014-12-23, 8:31   #14
ash#

Nov 1 2004
10,024 posts
Age 47
Male

I saw that... I dont think they are including the firefight mode though, which is too bad.
Unread 2014-12-31, 15:50   #15
JangoFett
Mecha+ Member

Nov 1 2004
3,467 posts
Age 40
Male
Long, long ago in a galaxy far, far away

Tried the Halo 5 MP beta. Complete garbage. They made it look better, but you have to put up with an over the top announcer. And now the Spartans act like Bros before and after the match, thumping their chests and being real douchy.

The Spartans now automatically call out enemy placements, if they picked up a special weapon, thanks for an assist, a good job when you get a kill, etc. even with others muted, it's a non-stop running commentary.

It's like they took the worst of Halo, COD, and Quake Arena as inspiration.
Unread 2015-01-02, 9:19   #16
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
33,338 posts
Age 50
Male
On the trails

Ouch, hopefully that will be toned down or you can shut it off in the final game.
Unread 2015-01-02, 11:12   #17
ash#

Nov 1 2004
10,024 posts
Age 47
Male

Yea ouch. Since nothing says Halo like chest thumping dudebros.
Go Back   Mechapixel Forums > Entertainment Warehouse > Gaming > MCC
Post New Thread Reply