Learn more - Subscribe
HomeContestsQueueShowcaseArcadeForumsMembersAboutContact
Unread 2010-03-17, 6:31   #1
vibes

Aug 9 2006
118 posts
Age 40
London

Is anyone playing this? I picked it up last week and had a thoroughly pleasant time. Graphics are good, playstyle is good, although I haven't got into the MP side of it yet. I wouldn't say the single player is better, or even as good as MW2 (which is, let's be fair, setting the bar pretty goddamned high), but it is involving and fun. I wasn't timing, but it probably clocked in at around 8-10 hours playtime.

There's lots of nice little touches in the game. There's a gentle piss-take mentality going on towards MW all through the game that suceeded in amusing me (for eaxmple, the chase montage that ends with the same type of Russian helicopter chasing you, at one point parralelling you as you race through a semi-open tunnel - straight from the end of MW1, but with a grenade launcher), and if you leave your guys standing around for a bit while you go get a drink or something, they launch into some genuinely funny dialogue to fill the time while they wait for you. As far as I can tell (I'm replaying already to pick up all the achievements), this dialogue changes each level as well.

Graphically, I'm not sure it stacks up to Crysis or Modern Warfare, but it is still very pretty and almost everything is destructible - I've become slightly obsessed with collapsing buildings on people. Once you start doing this, you notice there's an abundity of conveniently placed gas tanks for precisely this purpose - obviously there was a dev who felt the same way. The payback is, of course, that this applies both ways - cover is a transient thing.

I particularly like the way they've tightened up the cone on hip-fire, and there's none of the "bullet may go anywhere within this cone" bs in scoped mode that was one of my biggest gripes in bf2. There's also no farting about with wobbling scopes and holding your breath and such. While this adds a nice dimension to sniping in MW, realistically in the mini-maps and high speed it runs at this just gets irritating. Plus, in real life people don't bunny-hop. Thinking of which, there's no limit on how long you can run for, which is really, really nice. I never understood why the soldiers I was playing were so unfit they couldn't run more than 20 metres without needing to stop and take a break.

Some gripes:

- As with a lot of games adapted for the PC from whichever console (grumble), there's no prone for some reason. This really, really irritates me.

- The game doesn't play nice with my logitec joystick - apparently, this is a common problem. I haven't tried flying in MP yet, but since this was my biggest hook in BF2, I'm pretty disappointed I can't play with my current (very popular) joystick.

- Not really a gripe, but in combination with Star Trek: Online it finally persuaded me to replace the 8800GTS. I got a mid-range ATI 5770 with 1GB RAM, and it runs great, 40-60fps.

- That I enjoyed this game just irritates me even more than the original bad company wasn't released on the PC. I'll have to go out and buy the xbox version now.

I'm gonna try out the MP this week. xvbesx on steam if y'all wanna hit me up

TL: DR Version: Game is teh gud.
Unread 2010-03-17, 7:40   #2
ash#

Nov 1 2004
10,024 posts
Age 47
Male
One of those indoor shopping malls

There is no prone in the console version either...

Repo and I went over to a friend's house a week or so ago and played a little of this. I think the single player was pretty damn cool. And I thought graphically it looked fantastic. What I saw of the MP looked pretty irritating. Not really my style of multiplayer. I am sure it gets easier once you figure out what the game wants you to do, but we were struggling.(The beer probably was not helping)

In any case, I am not going to purchase this game, but I do want to get my hands on it somehow to play through the campaign.
Go Back   Mechapixel Forums > Entertainment Warehouse > Gaming > Battlefield: Bad Company 2
Post New Thread Reply