HomeContestsQueueShowcaseArcadeForumsMembersAboutContact
Unread 2014-02-17, 9:19   #1
ash#

Nov 1 2004
10,024 posts
Age 47
Male
One of those indoor shopping malls

So I got a code to the Titanfall beta this weekend. Finally got to play a couple matches last night. Very cool game, I think it has a lot of potential. Although it will be interesting to see how successful it is if they really don't have any singleplayer type experience in there.

So the basics are that you are a pilot, and start out with regular guns and it is a fairly standard deathmatch kind of game. After a couple minutes you get radioed that your Titan is ready to be called in. And when you hit down on the dpad your titan falls out of the sky and you jump in it. This is awesome. When you are operating as a pilot, you have two regular guns and an anti-titan gun. In the titan you have one gun and an unguided rocket secondary attack. The titans are very entertaining to pilot, but they don't last very long. When your titan is dying you can eject and it launches you way up in the air and you fall back down to the battlefield as your titan explodes.

There is also a domination type game mode which I didn't play and a mode called Last Titan Standing. Which is a mode where you start out in a titan and it is titan deathmatch with no respawns. Interested to try that one too. I bet those games go pretty quick.

Last edited by ash#; 2014-02-17 at 9:53.
Unread 2014-02-17, 10:32   #2
ash#

Nov 1 2004
10,024 posts
Age 47
Male

I just read that they opened the beta up to everyone this weekend, so you just need to apply for a code and you will get one apparently. I won't be on tonight, but tomorrow I will be back on playing if anyone is interested. And I guess by anyone I mean Repo and Jango since we are the only people with consoles right?
Unread 2014-02-18, 9:33   #3
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
33,331 posts
Age 50
Male
On the trails

Played quite a bit last night and really enjoyed it. Domination was a lot of fun, as was Last Titan Standing.
Unread 2014-02-18, 21:09   #4
b0rg9
Mecha+ Member

Jan 6 2004
9,865 posts
Age 54
Male
clearwater, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ass#
And I guess by anyone I mean Repo and Jango since we are the only people with consoles right?
LIsten console fag, while you're online listening to eleven-year-olds call you dickshitler and pwn you I'll be updating the drivers for my three geforce gtx titans in SLI and watching GTA5 highlights on youtube.

So there.
Unread 2014-02-19, 8:06   #5
ash#

Nov 1 2004
10,024 posts
Age 47
Male

ok Fagzor9, those three geforce gtx titans each probably cost as much as my console you elitist PC gasbag!

Good session last night. That game is fun when playing with a friend, and it is definitely more fun when you get to a spot where you are actually killing other titans
Unread 2014-02-19, 10:09   #6
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
33,331 posts
Age 50
Male
On the trails

Titanfall is also available on the PC: https://www.origin.com/en-us/store/b...nfall-ANW.html

Yeah, this game is good times. I see many hours playing the full version ahead. I keep forgetting to record some video, matches are too intense.
Unread 2014-02-19, 13:59   #7
ash#

Nov 1 2004
10,024 posts
Age 47
Male

Yea the matches do get pretty hairy once you start mixing it up with Titans.
Unread 2014-02-19, 14:03   #8
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
33,331 posts
Age 50
Male
On the trails

I like when the computer voice warns you "you are outnumbered, [x] to one."

Unread 2014-02-19, 14:56   #9
FulanoDeTal
Mecha+ Member

Jul 25 2006
5,601 posts
Age 41
Male
Indianapolis, IN

that part where you jump on one's back and blast it in the head was awesome!
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-02-19, 15:33   #10
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
33,331 posts
Age 50
Male
On the trails

That is a fun move, and not that hard to accomplish which is nice in keeping the game balanced.

Speaking of the game, I didn't know the beta ends tonight at 9EST!
Unread 2014-02-20, 8:31   #11
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
33,331 posts
Age 50
Male
On the trails

A video from what I guess is the last Titanfall we'll play until it's released... where I accidentally strafe ash# with rockets and then not accidentally killsteal.

http://1drv.ms/1gkPrOa
Unread 2014-02-20, 9:27   #12
ash#

Nov 1 2004
10,024 posts
Age 47
Male

Nice. Yea when you mix it up with a bunch of titans in a small space, it gets awesome. That is also a good time to hide in a building as a pilot and snipe titans with your rocket launcher, since they are busy worrying about the other titans.

Glad we snuck a few matches in last night before they shut it down. That was very fun. They do still need to work on their matchmaking a little though I think. It definitely seemed we were getting some unbalanced matches against stacked teams. Although since Halo or Call of Duty never figured this out either, I am not sure why I would expect these guys to do so.
Unread 2014-02-20, 14:52   #13
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
33,331 posts
Age 50
Male
On the trails

Yeah, I'm not sure why it seems so hard to get that kind of balance. I mean, even using simple math it shouldn't be that hard. Team 1's total experience = 172, Team 2's total experience = 8... shift some players around. Even if it means breaking up parties.

This game especially could, one would think, level the playing field... jack up the effectiveness of the AI minions for the team full of noobs and handicap the minions on the expert team. They wouldn't even have to do it across the board, how about just a playlist where you get to play all the modes that way. People who don't want to play that way wouldn't have to.
Unread 2014-02-21, 8:37   #14
ash#

Nov 1 2004
10,024 posts
Age 47
Male

I actually like that it is 6 on 6 with a bunch of minions padding the amount of people on the battlefield. getting 15 or so minion kills makes you feel like you are contributing even if you aren't getting too many pilot or titan kills. Like my average of 2 pilot and 2 titan kills plus about 15 minion kills was putting me fairly consistently in the middle of the pack. Which is pretty good for me in an online shooter.
Unread 2014-02-26, 8:47   #15
JangoFett
Mecha+ Member

Nov 1 2004
3,467 posts
Age 40
Male
Long, long ago in a galaxy far, far away

I'm pretty busy this time of year, so I only had time to play this twice. It's funny that no one's mentioned the parkour aspect of the pilots. I had way more fun doing that than playing around in a Titan.

I did manage to punch a badly damage Titan, rip out the pilot, and fling them into a wall. The resulting blood splatter on the wall was a nice touch.

And the Evac mode at the end of the match, how cool is that?
Unread 2014-02-26, 9:38   #16
ash#

Nov 1 2004
10,024 posts
Age 47
Male

Yea that evac mode at the end is a great idea. How did no one think of that before?
Unread 2014-02-26, 10:15   #17
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
33,331 posts
Age 50
Male
On the trails

I need more practice at the parkour aspect, and I guess that'll come with map experience. There were a lot of times where I wanted to get more vertical and couldn't, I felt more like:

Evac mode is great from both sides. It's fun getting out successfully and it's fun trying to dominate the evac point as the winning side.
Unread 2014-02-27, 11:52   #18
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
33,331 posts
Age 50
Male
On the trails

Too bad for their marketing that winter storm Titan didn't hold off until closer to the upcoming release date.
Unread 2014-03-14, 7:27   #19
ash#

Nov 1 2004
10,024 posts
Age 47
Male

OK picked up Titanfall yesterday and played about 6 or 7 matches last night. And although we only won maybe one or two of those matches, it was fun as hell. I played Halo 3 for hundreds of hours and probably never came in first on my team in points in a match. I did on my first night with the game last night. I read a review that said this game is awesome because even if you lose a match, it is still really fun. That comment is pretty dead on. Good stuff. Look forward to playing the shit out of this game.
Unread 2014-03-14, 7:51   #20
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
33,331 posts
Age 50
Male
On the trails

Agreed. It doesn't seem as frustrating as COD or Halo in that regard. Plus you have the relatively easy minions to go after if you're feeling outmatched so there's always something to take it out on.

Clipshow:
http://1drv.ms/1cYmuvj

I just wish I had looked up to follow the titan coming in to land on that guy at the end.
Unread 2014-03-14, 17:45   #21
JangoFett
Mecha+ Member

Nov 1 2004
3,467 posts
Age 40
Male
Long, long ago in a galaxy far, far away

I've been trying to sneak in a few hours to play. It is a hell of a lot of fun, and I don't feel like I'm getting dominated every time I play. Maybe that will change as people level up and get better at the game.

I've finding my best playing style is as a pilot supporting a Titan teammate. I use the Sidewinder (since it doesn't lock and make the enemy Titan pilot aware) and stick to higher areas. Cloaking helps a lot too.
Unread 2014-03-15, 11:42   #22
ash#

Nov 1 2004
10,024 posts
Age 47
Male

We had a good run last night. Won 4 or 5 matches I think and also lost 2 or 3. Tons of fun. I have gotten pretty good at cloaking and sprinting up to an enemy Titan and jumping on to rodeo. That is a satisfying kill. Also enjoying the domination mode a ton.
Unread 2014-03-27, 8:33   #23
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
33,331 posts
Age 50
Male
On the trails

Not sure if you need a Twitch account to view, but here are a bunch of live Titanfall matches being broadcast:

http://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/Titanfall

Pretty interesting service.

Also, some recent clips: http://1drv.ms/1dxKTIi
Unread 2014-08-20, 12:42   #24
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
33,331 posts
Age 50
Male
On the trails

Unread 2014-08-27, 10:39   #25
ash#

Nov 1 2004
10,024 posts
Age 47
Male

Yea does sound pretty dumb when you put it all like that.

Fun as hell though. Makes about as much sense as call of duty.
Go Back   Mechapixel Forums > Entertainment Warehouse > Gaming > Titanfall
Post New Thread Reply