aarkieboy

Feb 5 2003
85,215 posts
Age 63
Male
Somewhere on this ball we call "Earth"

Click the image to open in full size.
GIS image, not my actual bite.

Been doing a lot of outside work, so I've gotten a few ticks this year. Looks like it's going to be a bad year here for them. Hell, I live in Arkansas. I've had hundreds of ticks in my lifetime, but never had a bite that looked like that. I remember pulling the thing off, never gave it a second thought...until an odd rash popped up. The bite was on the right side of stomach. Started as a pretty normal bite Monday night. By Tuesday morning it was about the size of the rash in this pic I found on GIS. By late Tuesday morning, it had grown to about 4 inches across and you could just barely make out the beginning of a "bullseye" white ring in the center of the rash, surrounding the initial bite mark. Time to go to the doc.

Doc saw it and said 'Yeah...you've got some tick borne illness. Not saying it's Lyme, not saying it's not. We could do lab tests to prove or disprove, but lab tests don't always pickup on early stage Lyme. Best thing to do is just treat it with doxycycline. By the time a lab test would say yes or no, you could be pretty sick."

Arkansas supposedly has a low number of official Lyme cases. The only way they can be 'official' is if a lab test confirms it. Since a lot of people are aware of the distinctive rash now, many go to the docs like I did in early stage of the rash/disease. Just like me, many don't get lab tests, they just opt for treatment. This means the diagnosis is not officially reported as Lyme. I'm betting the real number of cases in Arkansas is much higher.

Might really not be lyme, but it's some kind of tick borne illness. I rather be safe than sorry. I know that Lyme can really fuck up a person if it's not treated. For that matter, any tick borne illness can fuck you up.

So I started the antibiotic. The doc drew a Sharpie line around the thing before I left the office so I could tell if it grew any. It did...about another half inch across. Never had any real symptoms other than headache. So hopefully, the med will take care of it. It does already appear to be getting better. I go back to the doc in two weeks for a follow up.

A fellow I know here in town just got out of the hospital because of a tick bite. He didn't go in early. Arkette #1 had a tick borne disease a few years ago...I think they diagnosed it as Colorado Tick Fever (no spots like Rocky Mountain Fever) and she was sick as hell in a matter of hours. She was never in the hospital, but she was one sick little girl for a couple weeks.

If you get a strange looking bite like this, don't put off going to the doc. Most tick borne diseases are easily, and fully, treated if caught early.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Unread 2019-05-23, 7:21   #2
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
32,907 posts
Age 49
Male
On the trails

Gah! Nice to catch it early and get it dealt with. Good luck!
Unread 2019-05-23, 8:31   #3
b0rg9
Mecha+ Member

Jan 6 2004
9,812 posts
Age 54
Male
clearwater, FL

I suspect you will gain some sort of superpower as a result of this.
Unread 2019-05-23, 9:09   #4
Chuck

May 6 2003
16,604 posts
Age 63
Male
The real America not that part where you live.

Hope it clears up quickly, scary shit from such a tiny creature.
Go Back   Mechapixel Forums > Main > Aarkie's Corner > I woke up Tuesday morning with something like this
Post New Thread Reply