Post New Thread Reply
Unread 2010-10-03, 21:51   #1
fray

Aug 27 2005
1,497 posts
Age 50
Male
Redlands, CA

Just got a Droid 2 phone and I have no idea what kind of apps are out there?
What are some good apps and websites for resources.

t.i.a.
Matt
Unread 2010-10-04, 11:51   #2
stacyrings

Nov 29 2004
1,201 posts
Age 50
Female
Dallas

How old are your kiddos? I have Toddler Lock that Gabby loves.

I use GroceryIQ for my grocery list. I like it pretty good.
Bump is suppose to be good to share stuff between phones but I haven't used it yet.
Lookout for virus protection.

Those are the only ones I have. You should have a marketplace icon on your phone. Use it to find stuff you might be interested in. I found Bump and Lookout from searching for the top apps for andriod.
Unread 2010-10-04, 13:07   #3
ash#

Nov 1 2004
9,601 posts
Age 46
Male
One of those indoor shopping malls

On my Droid i have:

The Weather Channel widget
IMDB
Homebrew calculator
Local Radar
USA Today/NY Times/Google News/BBC News
Xbox360 Live
Barcode scanner
Beer Cloud
Compass
Bubble Level
Family Guy Soundboard
Fios Mobile
Fios Remote Control
Google Sky(very cool)
Mobile Banking
Power Manager
Yelp
Unread 2010-10-04, 13:10   #4
FulanoDeTal
Mecha+ Member

Jul 25 2006
5,509 posts
Age 40
Male
Indianapolis, IN

I think the app that I get the most use out of is Google Listen. It's for podcasts. (I'm subscribed to the Mechapixel Podcast Fiasco, just waiting for a new episode to pop up one day)
I've got a few fun games: Trap!, Air Control, 2 Player Reactor, Shortyz (downloads crosswords from newspapers), Abduction!
I still haven't found the "perfect" list program, but for now I'm using Ultra Notes
I've got Aldiko for ebook reading (you can only download public domain books for now, but you can buy from other sites and read them with the app)
Then there are the Facebook and Twitter apps (tons out there), but I use Facebook Touch and Twidroyd.
Some phones come preloaded with the Youtube app, but you might want to check that one out.
If you've got an unlimited data plan, you might want to use the Pandora app to stream music.
All of these you can get through the Google Market. But you can also get some from Handango.com. There are lots of free apps out there but also lots that you can pay for for better features.
Unread 2010-10-05, 17:21   #5
bruno

Feb 4 2003
4,462 posts
Age 49
Male
Toledo Burbs

Speaking of Droid....

Through a fortunate/unfortunate turn of events (depending how you look at it) I may be trading up my cell phone over the weekend. The next phone will be a droid.

Suggestions? It's between a Moto droid X, Moto droid 2 or HTC Incredible.

My first touchscreen phone burned me-the touchscreen stopped working. Now that I text like a 14 year old girl I'm leaning towards the droid 2-a slide out keyboard. Maybe I'll get used to the touchscreen keyboard, I dunno.

Thinking the droid 2 and HTC incredible might have to duke it out.

Thoughts? Recipes?
Unread 2010-10-05, 19:12   #6
kokopelli
Administrator

Feb 4 2003
6,448 posts
Male
Stavromula Beta

I've heard the HTC Incredible has some issues re: the quality of phone calls. I was strongly considering getting one, but I'm old fashioned - I like to use my phone for speaking to people, so I have held off thus far.
Unread 2010-10-05, 20:29   #7
ash#

Nov 1 2004
9,601 posts
Age 46
Male
One of those indoor shopping malls

I know a couple people with Incredibles and they have no complaints that I am aware of. That is a pretty slick phone.

I have a 1st gen Droid, which I like a lot. It is the only one of the three with a hardware keyboard. That keyboard is useless. Although I hear they have made it better in the Droid 2. I think the question is do you want a phone as big as the Droid X. That thing is pretty big, but it has a huge ass screen that is really nice.

So long story short, all three are good, just depends which one you like the best. If I were upgrading now, I would get a Droid X, but then I like a big phone(and I cannot lie). I am going to get my wife an Incredible for christmas probably.

Edit... now that I reread your post... make sure you test out the keyboard on the Droid 2. Like I said, the one on the original droid sucks. I always, and I mean always use the touchscreen keyboard. It is supposed to be better on the 2, but just make sure you like it.
Unread 2010-10-07, 4:49   #8
bruno

Feb 4 2003
4,462 posts
Age 49
Male
Toledo Burbs

Thanks for the advice.

Leaning towards a Droid 2. Tad bigger than my current phone but smaller than a Droid X even though I enjoy red beans and rice. Metal case, supposedly the build quality is better than the plastic HTC. Doesn't have the OMELDWTF screen of the HTC though.

Everything I've read says both phones are great, it's a toss up.

See how much more money Verizon tries to extort out of me.
Unread 2010-10-07, 17:10   #9
fray

Aug 27 2005
1,497 posts
Age 50
Male
Redlands, CA

Droid 2 has better signal than the other two and also has better Bluetooth signal.
I like mine so far.
Finally figured out how to put a custom ringtone on it.
Now working on getting pdf's on there and a good pdf reader.

I really needed/wanted the keyboard. The top row is a bit close to the sliding cover but I'm getting used to it. (It's that way on a lot of the sliders, they need to stay attached somehow...)

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm working my way through the lists to try them out.

Edit: Ok, got a pdf on there. Weird rendering of pics in it... big black boxes around the pic, weird mask display bug. [Used Quick Office] I'll keep looking for a pdf reader...

Last edited by fray; 2010-10-07 at 18:29.
Unread 2010-10-08, 12:12   #10
FulanoDeTal
Mecha+ Member

Jul 25 2006
5,509 posts
Age 40
Male
Indianapolis, IN

I haven't had much need for pdfs so I don't know how good the app I have is, but it's called ThinkFree Office http://product.thinkfree.com/mobile/android
Unread 2010-10-09, 19:43   #11
pudintain

Dec 13 2004

Get Advanced Task Killer to save your battery.
Unread 2010-10-15, 14:55   #12
toki

Jan 6 2004
3,621 posts
Age 35
Male
Lost in Translation

Angry Birds was just released for Android.
Unread 2010-10-16, 15:29   #13
Domestic Goddess

Jan 19 2007
2,023 posts
Age 46
City of Brotherly Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruno View Post
Thanks for the advice.

Leaning towards a Droid 2. Tad bigger than my current phone but smaller than a Droid X even though I enjoy red beans and rice. Metal case, supposedly the build quality is better than the plastic HTC. Doesn't have the OMELDWTF screen of the HTC though.

Everything I've read says both phones are great, it's a toss up.

See how much more money Verizon tries to extort out of me.
I think I'm going with teh Droid 2 also. I needs me a QWERTY keyboard, no more of this Motorola Adventure crap (which, by the way was advertised as ruggedized, so I got it because of my kids and I'M THE ONE WHO DROPPED IT). My current phone sucks but since I'm up for new every two I'm going for it. With the husband's J&J plan I get a free one. Sweeeeeet.
Go Back   Mechapixel Forums > Main > General > Suggest me some Droid apps/websites
Post New Thread Reply