HomeContestsQueueShowcaseArcadeForumsMembersAboutContact
Unread 2010-11-03, 18:46   #1
anime
Administrator

Apr 13 2003
2,456 posts
Female
Dallas

Surely there was an old thread about this but now that I'm actually using the internet again, let's do this!

http://steamcommunity.com/id/horky

Add me and post yourn!
Unread 2010-11-05, 14:08   #2
ash#

Nov 1 2004
9,982 posts
Age 47
Male
One of those indoor shopping malls

I am not down with the steamage... Don't have the hardware to play PC games. Be happy to catch up on XBL though!
Unread 2010-11-05, 15:22   #3
Ved
Administrator

Feb 3 2003
4,678 posts
Age 42
Male
Dallas

Hm does anyone here besides Horky and I play PC games? Steam is pretty neat, and if you play games of any kind I'd recommend checking it out. Even if you only play cheap, non-hardware intensive games, like Popcap stuff.

I had heard of Steam but avoided it for years, and just recently got into it. Even if I can't buy a lot of things that I want to play, it's fun to see what's coming out and have quick access to free games or demos, all in one window. They also have deals every week, like right now 75% off a bundle of GTA games. That bundle includes the original, GTA III, San Andreas and Vice City for a total of $7.50.

The community stuff and chatting with in-game screen overlay is nice too.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Unread 2010-11-05, 15:45   #4
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
33,207 posts
Age 50
Male
On the trails

I have to say that console gaming has entirely eclipsed PC gaming for me, and I used to be primarily a PC gamer. It is interesting that Steam seems to be offering an experience that helped pull me away, the community aspect of Xbox Live. That wasn't the only thing, of course. My home PC is woefully underpowered for any new games. Half-Life 2 maxes it out. Also, I find myself drawn to the couch, big screen, and surround sound.

But if I get a better computer, Steam is definitely an interest.
Unread 2010-11-06, 13:24   #5
Dinahmoehum

Nov 1 2004
6,169 posts
Age 61
I'm Oprah Rich!

My kid is all over steam and has been since it's inception. He has talked to gabe personally. His current machine is the free Phenom II X6 I won on FB, and ati 5830 card, it's pretty peppy! I don't know what he is playing currently. My wife uses it for puzzle games, and since she got my old, his older machine, she can play portal, but doesn't. I have XBL and Wii but don't play anything.
Unread 2010-11-08, 4:53   #6
anime
Administrator

Apr 13 2003
2,456 posts
Female
Dallas

Quote:
Originally Posted by RepoMan View Post
I have to say that console gaming has entirely eclipsed PC gaming for me, and I used to be primarily a PC gamer. It is interesting that Steam seems to be offering an experience that helped pull me away, the community aspect of Xbox Live. That wasn't the only thing, of course. My home PC is woefully underpowered for any new games. Half-Life 2 maxes it out. Also, I find myself drawn to the couch, big screen, and surround sound.

But if I get a better computer, Steam is definitely an interest.
Hm. I'm curious what you guys are running actually. Or what exactly is maxing them out. I had a 1.86 cpu and it ran a surprising amount of things, including the Half Life 2 demo. Can you guys post some basic specs? Maybe one or two upgrades would do it?

I wouldn't consider replacing Xbox with Steam but it's pretty great for retro gaming. I'm personally playing GTA 3 right now.
Unread 2010-11-08, 8:09   #7
JangoFett
Mecha+ Member

Nov 1 2004
3,467 posts
Age 40
Male
Long, long ago in a galaxy far, far away

I'm Jangofett1138 (same as Xbox live). I rarely play Steam, but I've got a few games on there. I'm running it on a MacBookPro, so I do not have access to all of the games available.
Unread 2010-11-08, 11:21   #8
Dinahmoehum

Nov 1 2004
6,169 posts
Age 61
I'm Oprah Rich!

Every once and a while they publish the metrics of the whole steam community. Some of the stuff is user submitted, but they have data on every single detail of the games,
http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/

I'm using the old machine, amd phenom x4 2.3ghz ati 4850 4gb ram. The old machine was an amd x64 2.2ghz and an ati X1800 2gb ram.

He said these are what he is playing
Team fortress
battlefield
modern warfare 2
civ 5
they have up to date what everyone is playing.
http://store.steampowered.com/stats/
There will be a huge sale around christmas on there. Portal was free when it came out for the mac.

But now we are spending a lot of time with rock band 3 and the kinect dance game on xbox.
Go Back   Mechapixel Forums > Entertainment Warehouse > Gaming > Steam
Post New Thread Reply