Unread 2010-04-13, 7:59   #2
ash#

Nov 1 2004
8,444 posts
Age 44
Male
One of those indoor shopping malls

BOOKS!

I am reading a book called A War Like No Other by Victor Hanson.

It is about the Peloponnesian war. Pretty interesting if you are into that kind of thing.
Unread 2010-04-13, 11:00   #3
FulanoDeTal
Mecha+ Member

Jul 25 2006
5,001 posts
Age 38
Male
Indianapolis, IN

eBooks!
I'm very slowly reading The Count of Monte Cristo.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Unread 2010-04-13, 11:12   #4
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
27,326 posts
Age 47
Male
On the trails

Girl With The Dragon Tattoo; Stieg Larsson (taut and entertaining, also now a movie in theaters in the US) Stalled out 3/4 of the way in... gotta stop playing the Xbox so late at night.

On deck:

We; Yevgeny Zamyatin (1920s totalitarian dystopia)
Oryx and Crake; Margaret Atwood (apocalytpic dystopia)

On the apocalyptic front, also recently finished Jose Saramago's Blindness. I didn't see the movie and heard bad things about it, but the book was pretty great.
Unread 2010-04-13, 18:51   #5
NocturnalGuy
Mecha+ Member

Oct 22 2003
4,523 posts
Age 45
Male
T.O.

I just finished "What The Dog Saw", a collection of articles/essays by Malcolm Gladwell. Dude always has some interesting angles on things.
Unread 2010-04-13, 21:54   #6
Gear Jammer

Jan 14 2004
5,555 posts
Male
Visiting my brain at the funny farm.

I just finished reading The Yongle Dadian, man that SOB is long.
Started reading it in my 1st life as a small child in 17th Century China.
Unread 2010-04-20, 11:53   #7
bruno

Feb 4 2003
4,462 posts
Age 47
Male
Toledo Burbs

First Man the life of Neil Armstrong. Very interesting if you're into spacey stuff.

Carrying the Fire: An Astronaut's Journeys by Michael Collins. The library couldn't find it, still looking. Supposedly one of the better astronaut biographies.

The Worst Journey in the World. I'll admit giving up on it. An actual book with tiny print and 10,000 pages. We know the ending anyhow.

Into the Wild. More details than the movie, held my attention pretty good.

Into Thin Air: A Personal Account of the Mt. Everest Disaster. Next on the list.

Currently reading Running with Scissors, it's been on my list for awhile. Holding my attention pretty well.
Unread 2010-05-07, 11:55   #8
AsMuch

Dec 2 2005
6,083 posts
Age 37
Male
North Carolina

Last book I read was at my wife's insistence: Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde. Great book with a very unique universe. It takes a while to figure out the jargon, but becomes second nature after a bit. It is planned for a trilogy and I can't wait for the next two books.
Unread 2010-05-08, 19:22   #9
Chuck

May 6 2003
14,818 posts
Age 60
Male
The real America not that part where you live.

I usually like reading brain straining stuff so for a break...
Quick read of Shit My Dad Says. Sure it is kind of cheesy reading a book that came from twitter fame but actually kind of neat to find out about the grumpy dad who says those things. Nuclear medicine researcher, so yeah grumpy but not just some dumb old man.
Probably only recommend paying for this if you enjoy the twitter feed, if you do worth it.
Unread 2010-05-11, 19:35   #10
Domestic Goddess

Jan 19 2007
2,023 posts
Age 44
City of Brotherly Love

I'm still trying to finish book 7 of Harry Potter. The kids, they keep me busy. But I don't read much modern lit, I mostly read classic stuff (like, Jane Austen, the Bronte's, etc).
Unread 2010-05-24, 5:05   #11
texasaurus

Mar 31 2003
2,436 posts
Male
Fort Worth, Texas

Twain News.. http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...l-1980695.html

"Scholars are divided as to why Twain wanted the first-hand account of his life kept under wraps for so long. Some believe it was because he wanted to talk freely about issues such as religion and politics. Others argue that the time lag prevented him from having to worry about offending friends.

One thing's for sure: by delaying publication, the author, who was fond of his celebrity status, has ensured that he'll be gossiped about during the 21st century. A section of the memoir will detail his little-known but scandalous relationship with Isabel Van Kleek Lyon, who became his secretary after the death of his wife Olivia in 1904. Twain was so close to Lyon that she once bought him an electric vibrating sex toy. But she was abruptly sacked in 1909, after the author claimed she had "hypnotised" him into giving her power of attorney over his estate."
Unread 2010-05-24, 9:58   #12
Domestic Goddess

Jan 19 2007
2,023 posts
Age 44
City of Brotherly Love

Hmmm...interesting stuff there.
Unread 2010-05-25, 20:40   #13
NocturnalGuy
Mecha+ Member

Oct 22 2003
4,523 posts
Age 45
Male
T.O.

I've just finished "Dark Fire", the second in the series of "Shardlake" mysteries by C.J. Sansom. Really, really good stuff. Basically they are murder-mysteries set in the 16th century during the reign of Henry VIII. I was going to try and write my own synopsis, but instead here's one from Publishers Weekly:

Matthew Shardlake, the marvelous hunchbacked 16th-century attorney who first appeared in Sansom's Dissolution, returns in this spellbinding Tudor-era tale of murder, conspiracy and betrayal. Shardlake normally handles property cases and the occasional dangerous mission for Lord Thomas Cromwell, the king's high counselor. Now he is engaged to defend a young woman accused of a curious murder, and the case seems hopeless. The girl refuses to speak and, under English law, unless she offers a plea in court she will be slowly crushed to death. Cromwell offers Shardlake a two-week stay of execution if he will agree to undertake a secret mission. Desperate to save the girl's life, Shardlake agrees. Rumors abound of a new and terrifying weapon called Greek Fire, and Cromwell orders Shardlake to find it, along with its secret formula and the two alchemists who possess it. Before Shardlake can even speak to the alchemists, they are brutally murdered, the formula and Greek Fire go missing, and horror and death are unleashed. Fortunately, Shardlake is aided by Jack Barak, a capable rogue working for Cromwell, and his old friend, Guy Malton, a peculiar apothecary. Sansom's vivid portrayal of squalid, stinking, bustling London; the city's wealth and poverty; the brutality and righteousness of religious persecution; and the complexities of English law make this a suspenseful, colorful and compelling tale.
Unread 2010-05-29, 20:49   #14
Domestic Goddess

Jan 19 2007
2,023 posts
Age 44
City of Brotherly Love

I'm a big, huge fan of sci-fi and fantasy and one of my fav series has to be the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. Go ahead, make fun of me. Anyways, I got through eight or nine books before the kids and haven't gotten back to them but I AM GOING TO, honest. It's only been nine years. Just sayin'.
Unread 2010-07-20, 15:48   #15
ash#

Nov 1 2004
8,444 posts
Age 44
Male

Currently reading The Big Short by Michael Lewis. Pretty frightening stuff. Nothing like an "interest only negative amortizing adjustable rate mortgage". Yea who could have seen that going bad.
Unread 2010-07-21, 15:49   #16
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
27,326 posts
Age 47
Male
On the trails

Starring Bridget the... oh wait.
Unread 2010-07-28, 15:17   #17
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
27,326 posts
Age 47
Male
On the trails

Good freebie post-apocalyptic short story:

http://www.lightspeedmagazine.com/fi...gle-yesterday/
Unread 2010-08-04, 7:59   #18
Chuck

May 6 2003
14,818 posts
Age 60
Male
The real America not that part where you live.

Wouldn't say this is a fun read, like this opening salvo "China's #1 export to the U.S. is $46 billion of computer equipment - ours to China is $7.6 billion of waste paper and scrap metal." To me that said so much, they provide, we consume and I am not sure how long we can hang on doing such.

The Betrayal of American Prosperity: Free Market Delusions, America's Decline, and How We Must Compete in the Post-Dollar Era by Clyde Prestowitz
Unread 2012-04-09, 7:39   #19
ash#

Nov 1 2004
8,444 posts
Age 44
Male

Anyone read Zone One? Just finished it last night. Awesome ending. I thought the book was great. Woke up like 3 timed thinking about the ending. Sure sign of an awesome ending. If you like post apocalyptic and or zombies, get this and read it now.
Unread 2012-04-10, 9:00   #20
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
27,326 posts
Age 47
Male
On the trails

I'm only a little way in, but so far I think it's great. It reminds me more than a little of Chuck Palahniuk with all the observations and critique of what we think of as everyday life. That to me is a key aspect of zombie entertainment, and these days it's often lacking, replaced by simple gore and carnage. For example, this passage:

Gary didn’t have much sympathy for the dead, a.k.a. the “squares,” the “suckers,” and the “saps.” When using the word “dead,” most survivors signaled to the listener, through inflection and context, whether they were talking about those who had been killed in the disaster or those who had been turned into vehicles of the plague. Gary made no such distinction; with few exceptions, they were equally detestable. The dead had paid their mortgages on time, and placed the well-promoted breakfast cereals on the table when the offspring leaped out of bed in their fire-resistant jammies. The dead had graduated with admirable GPAs, configured monthly contributions to worthy causes, judiciously apportioned their 401(k)s across diverse sectors according to the wisdom of their dead licensed financial advisers, and superimposed the borders of the good school districts on mental maps of their neighborhoods, which were often included on the long list when magazines ranked cities with the Best Quality of Life. In short, they had been honed and trained so thoroughly by that extinguished world that they were doomed in this new one. Gary was unmoved.
Unread 2012-04-10, 13:41   #21
ash#

Nov 1 2004
8,444 posts
Age 44
Male

My favorite part about zombie and post apocalyptic stories is seeing how different writers or filmmakers show the breakdown of civil society. And how people react. How will people act when there is no one watching them. No rules. This book has a lot of that. I also like the angle it takes of a government trying to reassert itself with corporate sponsors. Great stuff.

I also like heads exploding like watermelons, but there is less of that in this book.
Unread 2012-10-15, 11:33   #22
ash#

Nov 1 2004
8,444 posts
Age 44
Male

Recently read The Passage... awesome book. Reading Oryx and Crake now, good stuff. The sequel to The Passage comes out on Tuesday though.
Unread 2012-10-15, 11:38   #23
FulanoDeTal
Mecha+ Member

Jul 25 2006
5,001 posts
Age 38
Male
Indianapolis, IN

Decided to go back to the beginning of the Dark Tower Series, Stephen King. I'd read the first four a long time ago. I'm up to book 3 now. Still enjoyable, and lots there that I had forgotten about. A new one came out in April of this year so I wanted to start over again to see how it "ends".
Unread 2012-10-15, 12:37   #24
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
27,326 posts
Age 47
Male
On the trails

Loved The Passage and the Oryx and Crake series (enjoyed the second one even more than the first). Dark Tower is one I've always meant to check out yet never have.

Reading Altered Carbon right now.

In the twenty-fifth century, humankind has spread throughout the galaxy, monitored by the watchful eye of the U.N. While divisions in race, religion, and class still exist, advances in technology have redefined life itself. Now, assuming one can afford the expensive procedure, a person’s consciousness can be stored in a cortical stack at the base of the brain and easily downloaded into a new body (or “sleeve”) making death nothing more than a minor blip on a screen.

Ex-U.N. envoy Takeshi Kovacs has been killed before, but his last death was particularly painful. Dispatched one hundred eighty light-years from home, re-sleeved into a body in Bay City (formerly San Francisco, now with a rusted, dilapidated Golden Gate Bridge), Kovacs is thrown into the dark heart of a shady, far-reaching conspiracy that is vicious even by the standards of a society that treats “existence” as something that can be bought and sold. For Kovacs, the shell that blew a hole in his chest was only the beginning. . . .
(from Amazon)
Unread 2012-10-25, 14:06   #25
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
27,326 posts
Age 47
Male
On the trails

The Twelve is great (so far).
Unread 2013-06-27, 14:33   #26
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
27,326 posts
Age 47
Male
On the trails

Young adult alien invasion, post-apocalypse etc: The 5th Wave. Entertaining... the young adult nature shows a lot, but it's a good read. Quick.

Dystopian future where humanity lives in underground silos and the surface is deadly: Wool (The Silo Series) - Downloaded the first, Wool 1 as it was a Kindle short story freebie, ripped through it and immediately downloaded 2-5. Hard to put down.
Unread 2014-06-11, 7:53   #27
JangoFett
Mecha+ Member

Nov 1 2004
3,467 posts
Age 37
Male
Long, long ago in a galaxy far, far away

I picked up "Console Wars: Sega, Nintendo, and the Battle that Defined a Generation" over vacation. It's a great behind-the-scenes of the Nintendo vs Sega battles of the 90's.
Go Back   Mechapixel Forums > Entertainment Warehouse > Books > Whut's books?
Post New Thread Reply