Unread 2009-09-04, 14:56   #1
JangoFett
Mecha+ Member

Nov 1 2004
3,467 posts
Age 40
Male
Long, long ago in a galaxy far, far away

It looks like Bungie is continuing the theme of live-action Halo commercials. Things like this make me think a Halo movie would be cool.
Unread 2009-09-07, 19:47   #2
ash#

Nov 1 2004
9,978 posts
Age 47
Male
One of those indoor shopping malls

Very fired up for this game. Pre-ordered it the other day.
Unread 2009-09-09, 16:54   #3
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
33,200 posts
Age 50
Male
On the trails

Yeah, I can't wait for this.
Unread 2009-09-09, 20:09   #4
ash#

Nov 1 2004
9,978 posts
Age 47
Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by RepoMan View Post
Yeah, I can't wait for this.
N00B!

yea... pwned. fucking hitler lover. go back to fag camp you knob gobbler.
Unread 2009-09-10, 7:59   #5
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
33,200 posts
Age 50
Male
On the trails

Click the image to open in full size.
Unread 2009-09-15, 13:17   #6
ash#

Nov 1 2004
9,978 posts
Age 47
Male

They have a preview of the campaign up over at IGN. Looking good, and there is 4 player coop for the whole campaign as well as firefight. Can't wait.
Unread 2009-09-20, 9:42   #7
ash#

Nov 1 2004
9,978 posts
Age 47
Male

Review up at IGN. They seem to think it does not suck.
Unread 2009-09-21, 7:48   #8
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
33,200 posts
Age 50
Male
On the trails

That review is pretty glowing.

Good point about playing the campaign through alone first.

Also, jango's RR video from Saturday where AsMuch and I drift around the objective is hilarious. Slowed down, you can see that the VIP doesn't really break the plane. His hand is in at one point, but I guess that's not enough to count as a score.
Unread 2009-09-21, 12:50   #9
ash#

Nov 1 2004
9,978 posts
Age 47
Male

Did I mention that I can't wait to play this tomorrow? The only question is do I just play campaign tomorrow night, or do I play firefight AND campaign.
Unread 2009-09-21, 15:51   #10
ash#

Nov 1 2004
9,978 posts
Age 47
Male

BTW someone with a rocket launcher could have gotten a quick killtrocity and an extermination on us.
Unread 2009-09-22, 8:21   #11
JangoFett
Mecha+ Member

Nov 1 2004
3,467 posts
Age 40
Male
Long, long ago in a galaxy far, far away

Here's a quick review: The campaign is short, I did it in 5 hrs on Normal. I missed a lot of collectibles, but I can get those later. The overall gameplay is pretty repetitive: go to a spot, get a cut scene, play a past event, go to next spot...eventually you catch up to "real time".

I didn't feel disadvantaged as a ODST, plenty of health everywhere (although that may change at higher difficulties). Human weapons still are shitty against Brutes, so I dropped the silent SMG pretty early in the game. It feels like you can jump the same hight. In a very odd bit of physics, not only can ODST's carry turrets, but they also move faster than a Spartan when they carry them.

The three new maps look pretty fun, esp. Longshore (a run-down fish processing plant).

However, the coolest thing is going to be Firefight. I haven't played a lot, but it looks like it randomizes the skulls in play from match to match, then stacks more skulls on top as the waves progress. Also, the announcer keeps track of your kills and you earn medals like in slayer (double kill, triple kill, ect.). There is no matchmaking in Firefight, it's invite only. Also, call signs can be 4 characters (letters and numbers) and there are some new emblem choices. My current emblem is a rooster with a pimp hat.

See everyone later for some Firefight!
Unread 2009-09-22, 9:45   #12
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
33,200 posts
Age 50
Male
On the trails

Maybe turrets were originally made of much lighter metal, but as the war progressed the arms factories had to resort to cheaper, heavier metals. Or maybe Master Chief is just a puss.
Unread 2009-09-23, 7:44   #13
ash#

Nov 1 2004
9,978 posts
Age 47
Male

That firefight was a blast last night. Although we seemed to get hung up at the same point in every match. We need a better strategy of how to handle it when Black Eye is activated.

I am not too far in campaign yet, playing the Buck segment now. Just got by a part with two hunters that was pretty tough. I went into one of the buildings to hide and peek out and snipe at them, and they came in the building after me. DOH.
Unread 2009-09-23, 8:22   #14
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
33,200 posts
Age 50
Male
On the trails

Yeah, I had the same thing happen to me. I thought, "I'll just head back to the building where it's safe". Not. Next thing I know there's one coming up the steps at me.

Agreed about Firefight. Perhaps we need to pull back into a defensible position at times.

Click the image to open in full size.

Wonder what that's about... knocked off the map or just fell to their death.
Unread 2009-09-23, 8:41   #15
ash#

Nov 1 2004
9,978 posts
Age 47
Male

Probably like the "Guardians" kills you would get in Halo 3... they fell off the map and Halo didn't quite know how to classify the kill.

I think for Black Eye, we need to first stay under cover when the phantoms come in, then stay under cover and be a lot more methodical. Less running around.
Unread 2009-10-04, 16:39   #17
Hypnosphere

Jan 12 2006
196 posts
Male

The trailer for this game is bad ass.

Unfortunately the game itself is nowhere near so. As Jango said the campaign is incredibly short at just a few hours on normal and yet despite being so short is still packed with copy and paste level design. I mean I know it wouldnt be halo if we weren't at some point forced to trudge through the same fucking map fighting the same fucking enemies 15 times in a row but Jesus, they could at least have tried.

This makes it sound like I don't like it, I do. Its fun and some major plus points are
-the music
-the voice acting
-no flood
but I paid full price for what is basically an expansion pack. This is what is increasingly pissing me off about games. Developers seem to think that provision of any kind of multiplayer experience will somehow compensate for a subpar single player experience. It doesn't, not for me at least.

I haven't had the time or the money for Live based shenanigans in a long while and thats unlikely to change anytime soon so I can't say if firefight is as good as everyone says but would anyone have paid $20 just for that new mode alone? Because it does seem to be half the value of game.

I don't know, maybe Im just getting old and cranky. I enjoyed ODST but I can't help feeling Id have enjoyed it alot more if Id picked it up second hand in a years time.
Unread 2009-10-05, 8:16   #18
ash#

Nov 1 2004
9,978 posts
Age 47
Male

Yea, the campaign is certainly short, no argument there. I was not bothered by the level design though. I thought the levels were pretty cool. And yea I would pay 20 bucks easy for standalone firefight. Although I have paid 10 bucks for three maps before, so maybe I am not the best judge on this. I guess Bungie's argument would be that you are paying 10 bucks for the three additional multiplayer maps, 25 bucks for the campaign, and 25 bucks for firefight. I think for a full priced game the campaign should have been longer for sure. But I am sure as hell getting my moneys worth out of the game. I have already played it twice as much as Left 4 Dead.
Go Back   Mechapixel Forums > Entertainment Warehouse > Gaming > HALO: ODST
Post New Thread Reply