Unread 2009-11-20, 8:47   #1
JangoFett
Mecha+ Member

Nov 1 2004
3,467 posts
Age 40
Male
Long, long ago in a galaxy far, far away

I've been playing a lot of AC2 (it's much improved over the first Assassin's Creed). One of the interesting things about the game is the inclusion of a new Ubisoft service called Uplay.

Uplay is essentially a parallel service to XBL or PSN.There's a lot of miscellaneous social networking crap built into the system (profiles, user icons, and the like). All of this is superfluous garbage.

The real key here is a studio has decided to open a competing service to the XBL and PSN marketplaces.

When you complete "events" in the game (similar to xbl achievements or psn trophies) you are awarded "units" which can be used to buy items on Uplay. Some of the AC2 items are: an exclusive map, upgraded knife belt, a dashboard theme, and a new outfit for Ezio.

One of the interesting things about this service is the way "units" are used. Each Uplay game will have enough "units" available to purchase all of the extras for that game. However if you don't want some of the extras, you can save the units to buy extras in another game, like the new Splinter Cell.

There are plans for a shop, so I can only imagine that "units" will be for sale soon.

Personally, I like the idea. This makes getting "units" (or achievements) worth something besides having a number on your profile. Also, I imagine that it gives studios a bit more latitude about adding game content without going through the Microsoft's or Sony's approval process.

There could be a downside. What if all large developers (think EA) decide to start their own services? If developers remove their content from XBL and PSN, what will happen to those services?
Unread 2009-11-20, 9:03   #2
ash#

Nov 1 2004
9,987 posts
Age 47
Male
One of those indoor shopping malls

Interesting. That is exactly what I wish Microsoft would do with gamerscore. Actually build it into some kind of currency so you can get shit for acquiring achievements.
Unread 2009-11-20, 11:22   #3
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
33,228 posts
Age 50
Male
On the trails

Hehe, Uplay Units. UGoBlind.

That is pretty interesting.

It's nice to see XboxLive opening up to that, like the avatar rewards for Halo achievements out of Waypoint. Even if it's just stuff to customize your avatar or dashboard with, it makes sense to reward people for buying and playing the games.
Go Back   Mechapixel Forums > Entertainment Warehouse > Gaming > Uplay
Post New Thread Reply