Post New Thread Reply
Unread 2010-08-06, 10:34   #1
aarkieboy

Feb 5 2003
86,030 posts
Age 63
Male
Somewhere on this ball we call "Earth"

"The controversy surrounding Wikileaks continues, as you always expected it would. All branches of the Unites States military are now banning their personnel from having anything to do with the site, primarily to avoid “electronic spillages,” a phrase I have never heard before. The Pentagon told the Washington Times that those in the Navy should avoid accessing the site so as to prevent the introduction of “potentially classified information on unclassified networks.”

Meanwhile, memos have started appearing online — leaked, if you will—with instructions from the various branches.

For example, this is what the Marine Corps is telling its personnel..."
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Unread 2010-08-06, 10:53   #2
Chuck

May 6 2003
16,682 posts
Age 63
Male
The real America not that part where you live.

Fact, wikileaks contains classified material. When I was in the military we only got stuff on the need to know basis. I knew that if I was shown something classified and passed that info on or even worse would see an envelope marked classified and opened it my ass was grass. Nothing new here except it being online and leaked.
People need to understand not everything is for public consumption.
Unread 2010-08-06, 11:38   #3
ash#

Nov 1 2004
9,982 posts
Age 47
Male
One of those indoor shopping malls

Yea I am fine with this. Gotta protect the classified stuff. Although I will say that our government tends towards designating too much stuff as classified, but once someone makes the call to restrict something... end of sentence.
Unread 2010-08-06, 12:20   #4
B L

Jun 11 2005
2,473 posts
Age 54
Male
a whale's vagina

When most of us were little kids (cold war days) the military guy involved would be tried for treason and the wikileaks guy would disappear. I don't think we're to the point where either of them is gonna come out a hero.

Now, more on topic, specific orders to avoid the place will make it much more difficult for military types to justify sending anything to wikileaks.
Unread 2010-08-06, 13:39   #5
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
33,209 posts
Age 50
Male
On the trails

If anything positive comes of this, I would hope it would be that we can prosecute our wars in a way that public knowledge of the facts wouldn't be considered something harmful. I'm not talking about operational information that lays our playbook bare. I'm just talking about facts vs the picture the government paints for the public. It would be nice if there wasn't a big chasm between the two. The negative here would be that we'd just get even better at keeping secrets and lying to the public.
Unread 2010-08-06, 14:13   #6
B L

Jun 11 2005
2,473 posts
Age 54
Male
a whale's vagina

I think a lot of the secrets and lying are born out of an attitude that American people will accept certain transgressions in war time but don't want to know about them.

For example, I assumed that we tortured the guy who sold out Saddam in the days before they found him in that hole. Did I want to hear what was done to him to make him talk? Nope.
Go Back   Mechapixel Forums > Main > Aarkie's Corner > U.S. Military Bans Personnel From Visiting Wikileaks
Post New Thread Reply