Post New Thread Reply
Unread 2011-03-29, 9:45   #1
aarkieboy

Feb 5 2003
85,992 posts
Age 63
Male
Somewhere on this ball we call "Earth"

"As we've speculated it might, Amazon has announced its own cloud-based media streaming service. It's called the Amazon Cloud Player and you can start using it right now.

It looks like you'll start out with 5 GB of free Cloud Drive storage, but be offered the chance to upgrade to 20 GB with an MP3 album purchase through Amazon. You'll be able to add songs and albums purchased from Amazon, as well as music from your own media library. Plus, documents, photos and video too.

Once you've added media to the Cloud Drive, you'll be able to stream it via Amazon's Cloud Player for Web or the Cloud Player for Android app—yes, iOS users appear to be out of luck for now.

As far as we can see, the Cloud Player itself won't cost a penny to use, so we're particularly giddy about taking it for a test drive." - gizmodo

# Will I be charged for using Cloud Player or Cloud Drive?

Cloud Player is a free web and Android application. All customers start with 5 GB of free Cloud Drive storage and you can upgrade to 20 GB of Cloud Drive storage with an MP3 album purchase (learn more about this offer). All new Amazon MP3 purchases saved to Cloud Drive do not count against your storage quota. Amazon also offers a variety of Cloud Drive storage plans to meet all of your data storage needs. Find out about Cloud Drive storage plans.

# Can I upload music from my phone?

Uploading music from your mobile device is not possible at this time, but you can upload music from your PC or Mac.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Unread 2011-03-29, 9:54   #2
ash#

Nov 1 2004
9,974 posts
Age 47
Male
One of those indoor shopping malls

That actually sounds fairly awesome. So in theory I could stream shit to my android phone from my cloud mp3 collection? yay for unlimited data plans.
Unread 2011-03-29, 9:55   #3
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
33,187 posts
Age 50
Male
On the trails

Precisely, that's exactly what they expect you to do.

5GB for free is at least good enough for a playlist of your favorites.
Unread 2011-03-29, 9:57   #4
ash#

Nov 1 2004
9,974 posts
Age 47
Male

Oh man, Apple is going to fucking hate this. It basically obsoletes an mp3 player if you have a smartphone and a reliable 3G connection.
Unread 2011-03-29, 10:07   #5
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
33,187 posts
Age 50
Male
On the trails

Click the image to open in full size.
Unread 2011-03-29, 11:21   #6
FulanoDeTal
Mecha+ Member

Jul 25 2006
5,598 posts
Age 41
Male
Indianapolis, IN

Another reason to feel like I made a bad choice on the phone upgrade I just made. I was going to get a smart phone, but decided against it. I chose poorly...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DGFuHC75aY
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Unread 2011-03-29, 11:30   #7
Dinahmoehum

Nov 1 2004
6,169 posts
Age 61
I'm Oprah Rich!

It would take years on my shitty connection to upload 20GiB's. I'm getting it even though I have no use for it!
Unread 2011-03-29, 12:07   #8
AsMuch

Dec 2 2005
6,091 posts
Age 40
Male
Massachusetts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash# View Post
Oh man, Apple is going to fucking hate this. It basically obsoletes an mp3 player if you have a smartphone and a reliable 3G connection.
I have AT&T, so I don't need to worry about the second part.
Unread 2011-03-29, 13:12   #9
B L

Jun 11 2005
2,473 posts
Age 54
Male
a whale's vagina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinahmoehum View Post
It would take years on my shitty connection to upload 20GiB's. I'm getting it even though I have no use for it!
Is GiBs pronounced jibbs? As in "I kicked Dinah right in the jibbs"?
Unread 2011-03-29, 13:20   #10
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
33,187 posts
Age 50
Male
On the trails

Gibs is indeed pronounced "jibs". See number 3 (or maybe it'll be a webfilter violation, so I'll quote):

#3 Gibs- Quake - [ PC ]

A gib may not be a bodily expulsion, per se, but when you've decimated an enemy's body beyond all recognition, there's really no orifice left for waste to escape from. Pronounced "jib", but short for "giblet" a gib is a chunk of a deceased enemy left on the floor, particularly in a first-person shooter and most notably, in Quake. GIbs have been a staple of the FPS genre, and thankfully, they won't be going away anytime soon.

http://www.games.net/article/netten/...ions-in-games/
Unread 2011-03-29, 13:51   #11
B L

Jun 11 2005
2,473 posts
Age 54
Male
a whale's vagina

Unread 2011-03-29, 15:15   #12
ash#

Nov 1 2004
9,974 posts
Age 47
Male

Another article...

a Sony Music spokeswoman said Tuesday that the company is "disappointed that the 'locker service' that Amazon is proposing is unlicensed by Sony Music.

I am sorry, I have to pay for another license for digital music that I already bought? Fuck you Sony. How is this any different than storing music that you legally purchased on a hard drive in your home office or living room? What are they going to sue them for?
Unread 2011-03-29, 15:28   #13
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
33,187 posts
Age 50
Male
On the trails

I bet they're hoping to sue Amazon later and force them to open up all the "lockers" for them to investigate, like searching a school. Anyone with contraband music... BUSTED!
Unread 2011-03-29, 15:48   #14
B L

Jun 11 2005
2,473 posts
Age 54
Male
a whale's vagina

Make sure and put lots of videos of your butthole and audio of you farting in your "locker" so they have to sift through that shit during their search.
Unread 2011-03-29, 15:52   #15
Chuck

May 6 2003
16,678 posts
Age 63
Male
The real America not that part where you live.

Having followed the Sony business tactics over the years I would say if they saw anything with your "butthole" all that would happen is an alarm would sound saying Target Acquired.
Unread 2011-03-29, 16:11   #16
B L

Jun 11 2005
2,473 posts
Age 54
Male
a whale's vagina

Unread 2011-03-29, 16:21   #17
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
33,187 posts
Age 50
Male
On the trails

That's an uncomfortable new take on "rootkit."
Unread 2011-03-29, 16:36   #18
JangoFett
Mecha+ Member

Nov 1 2004
3,467 posts
Age 40
Male
Long, long ago in a galaxy far, far away

I'm curious to see how this turns out. Apple's been building a giant data center in NC with rumored plans of doing what Amazon is offering. Another rumor has it that the roll-out of this new service is depending on Apple getting a deal settled with the record companies.

Now Amazon is all "fuck you record companies!!", which leaves two scenarios:

1) Record companies sue the fuck out of Amazon.
2) Record companies sign with Apple to make a "legitimate" service and then sue the fuck out of Amazon.
Unread 2011-03-29, 16:50   #19
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
33,187 posts
Age 50
Male
On the trails

Yeah, this is going to be REALLY interesting.

Additional note, now that I'm home I downloaded the Amazon "MP3 Uploader" utility... it goes straight to searching your iTunes and Windows Media Player libraries to find where your music is. That is awesome.

Of course the music industry is painting it like Zeros with Amazon logos on their tails are sinking their battleships.

Because the music industry assumes we're all criminals.
Unread 2011-03-29, 17:01   #20
ash#

Nov 1 2004
9,974 posts
Age 47
Male

I still don't get what a "legitimate" service is. The mp3s you buy from amazon and put in your locker are purchased legally, with the recording industry getting their cut right? What you put in there from your own collection is your business. I thought it was settled that you could convert your purchased CDs to digital music files and store them how you want. Now if Amazon were giving mp3s out for free, or you could listen to someone else's collection, that would be different. But I don't see that. I see the recording industry trying to get us to pay for something that we have already paid for. Again. And they are dragging their feet like noone's business with apple and google because they don't want this at all. They want to make any "legitimate" service so unappealing that the consumer will resort to illegal downloading so that they can cry boogeyman like they always do.

I have to pay the recording industry to store my files somewhere? NO.
Unread 2011-03-29, 17:04   #21
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
33,187 posts
Age 50
Male
On the trails

If I could make that smiley huge, I would.

They just don't want it, their consumers want it, and Amazon said "sure, we'll do it."

BTW I totally read "Again." in this voice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...0hbvaPdU#t=24s
Go Back   Mechapixel Forums > Main > Aarkie's Corner > Amazon Cloud Player Goes Live, Will Let You Upload and Stream Your Music for Free
Post New Thread Reply