Post New Thread Reply
Unread 2015-04-23, 10:55   #1
aarkieboy

Feb 5 2003
86,137 posts
Age 63
Male
Somewhere on this ball we call "Earth"

"If you’re among the holdouts who cling to their incandescent light bulbs like plastic eggs on Easter morning, you may want to loosen that grip. A new 60-watt equivalent LED bulb from Philips could be what finally convinces you to upgrade your lamps with a tiny dose of the future.

There are more capable and longer-lasting LEDs than the new Philips LED A16 bulbs, but you won’t find any that are cheaper. A single bulb, rated for ten years, will set you back $4.97 once they go on sale in May at Home Depot. That’s already a significant savings over Philips’ existing $9.97 60w equivalent, and in line with the most affordable options in the market. But what makes the new bulbs especially notable is that for the first three months they’re available, you’ll be able to get two bulbs for that same five bucks.

That is very cheap! It’s cheaper, in fact, than a two-pack of GE incandescent 60w bulbs that are roughly as bright and that last about one-tenth as long. Another fun point of comparison? The new Philips 60w has an estimated yearly energy cost of just $1.02, versus $7.23 for those same GE bulbs. For the lighting spec-trackers, it puts out 800 lumens, and will be available in both 2700k and 5000k color temperatures.

As LED lights have increasingly matched their incandescent counterparts in warmth, shape, and brightness, the last frontier of acceptance—aside from just good ol’ fashioned resistance to change—has been price." (More)
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Unread 2015-04-23, 11:01   #2
Chuck

May 6 2003
16,688 posts
Age 63
Male
The real America not that part where you live.

Cost is the only reason every bulb in my house isn't an LED.
Unread 2015-04-23, 11:19   #3
b0rg9
Mecha+ Member

Jan 6 2004
9,855 posts
Age 54
Male
clearwater, FL

Wow, and I thought I found a deal on Newegg with some five-bucks-each ones a year ago (although those are a bit annoying as they have a half-second delay before lighting).

I started the LED house light thing with some Philips flood lights which were like $35 ea. after being marked down to half price! They were the smart first investment though because those lights are sometimes on from dusk till morning and at less than 1/8th the power draw that has to be significant.

Next were the bathroom mirror lights (an array of four 25w equivalent) These were about twelve bucks ea. I think and don't look any different than real bulbs. They are also the prime candidate of lights that just get left on by mistake all the time.

Also, I bought this completely awesome LED light from Amazon for the front porch - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 - you can't find ones like this in the stores. It is in a fixture where you can see the bulb so looks was important. This bulb is free of all that plastic crap around it and the LED's inside even look like a filiment behind the frosted glass.

My kitchen was the latest w/ the cheapies from Newegg. I may sub out a better light for one of them in each fixture to mitigate that delay but I've actually gotten used to it and now that my home security unit lights up on entry I'm not walking into a completely dark kitchen at night.

Cool home story, bro.
Unread 2015-04-23, 12:37   #4
ash#

Nov 1 2004
10,001 posts
Age 47
Male
One of those indoor shopping malls

This is all a liberal conspiracy to make you gay. Don't give in. Fag.
Unread 2015-04-23, 12:45   #5
b0rg9
Mecha+ Member

Jan 6 2004
9,855 posts
Age 54
Male
clearwater, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash# View Post
This is all a liberal conspiracy to make you gay. Don't give in. Fag.
One time not too long ago on Fark I replied in a car thread about getting rid of my Saab and getting a Jeep Patriot. Someone else that I wasn't quoting replied back simply with, "You sound like a pussy." Didn't really know what to make of it but figured they were pretty happy with their Furious 7 whatever car and 4" penis.
Unread 2015-04-23, 13:03   #6
ash#

Nov 1 2004
10,001 posts
Age 47
Male
One of those indoor shopping malls

And you wonder why we don't post at Fark anymore. Wait no you don't.

And I think 4" is probably exceedingly generous.
Unread 2015-04-23, 13:09   #7
b0rg9
Mecha+ Member

Jan 6 2004
9,855 posts
Age 54
Male
clearwater, FL

It's funny, when I look at a profile on Fark from an asshole poster (if they're not on my 500+ user ignore list already), it is usually someone from about the 2005 era where the asshole influx was at its peak.

There are still cool people, but they can get lost in the din.
Unread 2015-04-23, 13:12   #8
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
33,259 posts
Age 50
Male
On the trails

And way to nail the gay agenda. It's obviously been to kill incandescent bulbs from the start. Word is that Thomas Edison once called a guy an "uncle-buggering poncey fancypants" and that guy went home and penned the Ye Olde Gay Agenda (now known just as the Gay Agenda).
Unread 2015-04-23, 13:19   #9
b0rg9
Mecha+ Member

Jan 6 2004
9,855 posts
Age 54
Male
clearwater, FL

Click the image to open in full size.

I love the "watch Rachel Maddow" part
Unread 2015-04-23, 13:24   #10
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
33,259 posts
Age 50
Male
On the trails

Unread 2015-04-23, 13:30   #11
Chuck

May 6 2003
16,688 posts
Age 63
Male
The real America not that part where you live.

Back in the dark ages before light bulbs what appeared above people's heads when they got an idea?
Unread 2015-04-23, 13:31   #12
b0rg9
Mecha+ Member

Jan 6 2004
9,855 posts
Age 54
Male
clearwater, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
Back in the dark ages before light bulbs what appeared above people's heads when they got an idea?

The gay agenda?
Unread 2015-04-23, 13:38   #13
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
33,259 posts
Age 50
Male
On the trails

I just invented the wheel and it's FAAAAAAABULOUS!
Go Back   Mechapixel Forums > Main > Aarkie's Corner > LED Bulbs Are Now Two for $5—Officially Too Cheap to Ignore
Post New Thread Reply