HomeContestsQueueShowcaseArcadeForumsMembersAboutContact
Unread 2009-11-05, 13:44   #1
bruno

Feb 4 2003
4,462 posts
Age 49
Male
Toledo Burbs

So since I've killed the mondo cable TV channel package I've been geeking pretty heavily on the xBox.

Netflix, networked to the PC, all that crazy crap.

I ran across Playon the other day. 14 day free trial, think it's $40 after the trial if you keep it.

Playon is some kind of RSS/psychic/radar type thing-sends content directly to the xBox. The default providers are Hulu, CBS, utube, etc. Subscribe to shows from Hulu, turn on the xBox and there they are.

Quality isn't bad at all. 51 TV from 13' away.

I know there are some hackish ways to do this without playon. I could probably figure this stuff out-download, rip, send, watch, you know. I'd be clicking my heels together all day getting it to work.

Downloaded playon, threw my site passwords in there, done. Worked right out of the box. Had to fiddle with the firewall but that's it. Pretty slick.

I'm not thrilled about the navigation on the xBox though. Go to that page, this folder, that folder, another folder. Eventually you get there.

It really gets crazy through the plugins. Went to playonplugins.com, downloaded some plugins, drag'n drop, easy as pie. I did Food Network hoping to get Good Eats, no luck. But still-if I want to watch the "lets make a crazy ass cake show" I can.

That's kind of the trick-do you really want to watch the content. Hulu yeah, that's newer stuff.

I thought this was funny. Of course somebody made a plugin for "that site"-this is the internet and all. Took that certain plugin out of the folder, we don't want that accessible to everyone. Something about a pool and girls with very loose morals, not sure. At least that's the one I watched, I like swimming.

Anyhow-Playon is pretty slick and it works. Worth $40? Maybe.
Unread 2009-11-06, 18:42   #2
AsMuch

Dec 2 2005
6,091 posts
Age 39
Male
Massachusetts

If you're looking to get in on this train, it's best to get on their mailing list a few weeks before buying. They always have deals going on to save you 10-15 off the sticker price.
Unread 2009-11-24, 23:06   #3
AsMuch

Dec 2 2005
6,091 posts
Age 39
Male
Massachusetts

For example:

PlayOn for Only $19.99!
We've got PlayOn for only $19.99. Our lowest price ever. Just visit us here, enter coupon code HOLIDAY, and purchase now. Watch all of your favorite streaming shows and movies (Holiday or otherwise) on Hulu, Adultswim, Netflix, and more. Stream your personal media content to your TV, show off your photos to visiting family and friends. Kick back and get lost even if only for a little while. Best of all, PlayOn will still be there long after the holidays.

Cheers,
The PlayOn Team

Offer expires at 11:59PM on Monday November 30th, 2009.

19.99 Link
Regularly $39.99

http://www.playon.tv/playon/lp/purchase?prmcd=holiday
Unread 2009-11-25, 3:56   #4
Chuck

May 6 2003
16,274 posts
Age 62
Male
The real America not that part where you live.

Just tried PlayOn, not bad. Agree with Bruno about the folder structure but I may spend 20 bucks on this.
Unread 2009-12-03, 10:35   #5
bruno

Feb 4 2003
4,462 posts
Age 49
Male
Toledo Burbs

I screwed around with playon for a bit, let it expire. Been screwing around with tversity lately.

I'm kinda grumpy about playon. After the first "welcome to playon" email I've gotten 9 more from them trying to sell me the service.

Kinda spammish.
Go Back   Mechapixel Forums > Discussion > Technology Bytes > Playon
Post New Thread Reply