Post New Thread Reply
Unread 2009-09-08, 8:35   #1
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
31,453 posts
Age 49
Male
On the trails

The thing that makes "The Walking Dead" unique and interesting is that it's a zombie movie that never ends that's the log line or whatever. To do a zombie movie that's based on that? Kinda dumb. The whole idea behind the book is that it's a long-term exploration on the characters and their situation and how they're dealing with these problems over a long period of time, the different things that happen to the characters and how it affects and changes the characters. You can do that in a series of movies, but it's not ideal. It's not really common for people to go, "Oh, I'll buy this thing and commit to making 10 movies based on it!" So, the TV show makes way more sense to me for all of those reasons.

http://io9.com/5353248/kirkman-tv-ca...hat-never-ends

Sounds good to me. The comics are pretty good.
Unread 2009-09-08, 16:23   #2
ash#

Nov 1 2004
9,560 posts
Age 46
Male
One of those indoor shopping malls

TV show about zombies... is there really a question about whether or not i am "in"?
Unread 2010-08-25, 7:48   #3
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
31,453 posts
Age 49
Male
On the trails

Hell yeah, this looks great.

http://io9.com/5620680/the-official-...orgeously-gory
Unread 2010-11-08, 22:10   #4
b0rg9
Mecha+ Member

Jan 6 2004
9,455 posts
Age 53
Male
clearwater, FL

I'm enjoying this so far. The effects are good, the drama of the situations -- which, imo, is the best feature of zombie movies over any absolute horror -- is excellent.

I realize this is based off an already written graphic novel, of which I'm not familiar with. I just hope this story doesn't get too "inbred". Seeing the previews to episode three, it looks like they're already planning on going back for white trash redneck dude, because, lo and behold, someone at the camp is his brother (what a coincidence). Also, his patrol partner banging his wife, while adding some personal drama, has little zombie value to me. This little piece of storyline hopefully will have more meaning than the "at least there's a storyline where I can get my girlfriend/wife to watch a zombie show with me" aspect.

Being kind of hyper-critical on this show -- and I really like it, don't get me wrong -- but this story almost lends itself to the disposable mini-dramas that never get resolved and the show moves on, like the Sopranos gave you week after week.
Unread 2010-11-09, 4:58   #5
Chuck

May 6 2003
16,035 posts
Age 62
Male
The real America not that part where you live.

There will be a season 2 http://blogs.amctv.com/the-walking-d...-2-renewal.php
Unread 2010-11-09, 8:51   #6
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
31,453 posts
Age 49
Male
On the trails

Sweet!

Regarding the redneck, that character was not in the comic and I think he was a weak addition. A couple lines of dialogue might have helped explain why they had him along, like "well he's an ass but he's the best shot of the entire group and has the most powerful gun so we need him." Otherwise, why would anyone choose to tag along with an unstable liability? That doesn't make much sense. A couple things they could be setting up: a grim encounter with him where the living kill the living, which would be par for a zombie story, or a Redneck Redemption story like CJ in the Dawn of the Dead remake. If we have a How I Learned from the Zombie Apocalypse to Love Black People moment from the asshole bigot, I will point and laugh.

Regarding Grimes' wife, they're really playing up the sex here. In the comic it's implied in a conversation that they boned once while on the road, which you could chalk up to "shit we're probably gonna die any minute now, so let's fuck." This, well... I guess it could be a case of latching on to the person most likely to help her keep her son safe. I'm betting there's a line like that.
Unread 2010-11-11, 23:31   #7
b0rg9
Mecha+ Member

Jan 6 2004
9,455 posts
Age 53
Male
clearwater, FL

I just got back from an Ian Anderson (Jethro Tull) concert tonight. Awesome, btw.

Anyway, here's a tidbit of knowledge -- his daughter, Gael, is married to Andrew Lincoln. Officer Grimes in the series. He mentioned that tonight. I thought that was pretty cool. And I fully expect some Jethro Tull as the outro music in some future episode. In fact, I demand it!
Unread 2010-11-12, 10:59   #8
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
31,453 posts
Age 49
Male
On the trails

Nice little tidbit.

After winter sets in they could end with Skating Away.
Unread 2010-11-12, 21:25   #9
AsMuch

Dec 2 2005
6,091 posts
Age 39
Male
Massachusetts

Maybe they could drown a zombie to "aqualung".
Unread 2010-11-19, 5:26   #10
Chuck

May 6 2003
16,035 posts
Age 62
Male

Still liking this show a lot but did anyone else think episode #3 was a little weak? I know it can't be constant zombie slaughter but this seemed a little too soap opera like.
Unread 2010-11-19, 7:48   #11
b0rg9
Mecha+ Member

Jan 6 2004
9,455 posts
Age 53
Male
clearwater, FL

I'm gonna give them a pass on having one episode like that, if they feel the character setup was necessary. But yeah, too soap opera like for sure.

After that episode, except for the lead character, I don't really care which, if all of 'em, gets munched next.
Unread 2010-11-19, 8:45   #12
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
31,453 posts
Age 49
Male
On the trails

The opening was awesome. Michael Rooker went from the stereotype redneck from #2 to crazy acting force of nature. That said, I don't buy that he couldn't just cut the damn rusty screw instead of his hand, although maybe he saw Mad Max too many times as a kid. Plus, the first thing he would have tried was the belt, not wait until the zombies were knocking at the door. Anyway, I liked that part of the story... didn't care much for all the drrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaama. Maybe I'm wrong but I'd imagine when you get down to brass tacks of society crumbling you'd go out of your way not to manufacture drama. Then again I probably wouldn't band together with wife beaters and unstable hillbillies and ladies obsessed with sex toys. Wait no, scratch that. They can join my group.

I love Glenn, though. Even though they had him uncharacteristically scream into camp with an alarm blaring.
Unread 2010-11-19, 10:36   #13
ash#

Nov 1 2004
9,560 posts
Age 46
Male

We have only watched the first two episodes so far, I am still loving the show. the wife is into it too. I gotta say that the scene when they were chopping up the zombie to get zombie goo to smear all over them was fucking GRIM. And them shambling down the street among the walkers reminded me of the scene from Shawn of the Dean when they are acting like zombies.
Unread 2010-11-19, 10:50   #14
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
31,453 posts
Age 49
Male
On the trails

He's an organ donor.
Unread 2012-01-14, 21:05   #15
Chuck

May 6 2003
16,035 posts
Age 62
Male

Season 3 news.
http://blogs.amctv.com/the-walking-d...nouncement.php
Unread 2012-02-24, 18:01   #16
Chuck

May 6 2003
16,035 posts
Age 62
Male

Another tidbit for season 3 http://blogs.amctv.com/the-walking-d...e-governor.php
Unread 2012-02-27, 18:23   #17
ash#

Nov 1 2004
9,560 posts
Age 46
Male

They need to get. away. from. that. fucking. farm.

Edit: we run a week delay in our house so havent seen last nights ep yet.
Unread 2012-02-27, 18:39   #18
b0rg9
Mecha+ Member

Jan 6 2004
9,455 posts
Age 53
Male
clearwater, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash# View Post
They need to get. away. from. that. fucking. farm.
Word to the zombieship. I haven't watched this week's yet either. Getting ready to though tonight -- nursing my dog bites on both arms. Got some real-life zombie type gouges going on. I've been down this road. Today was the "swelling" day, where it's just pretty much useless to try to do anything. Called into work. And it's rare when I do that.
Unread 2012-03-04, 10:20   #19
ash#

Nov 1 2004
9,560 posts
Age 46
Male

Two tidbits I liked from last week's episode... when the three walkers are on top of Rick, and he shoots the third one's head with a shot through the first one's mouth, you can see the tip of his gun barrel through the hole in the head.

and the walker's head getting the watermelon explosion treatment when the car runs it over in the end.
the whole lori being the happy housewife crap. barf.
Unread 2012-03-04, 10:35   #20
b0rg9
Mecha+ Member

Jan 6 2004
9,455 posts
Age 53
Male
clearwater, FL

The fewer the minutes of screen time of Lori and Carl directly correlates to the better the episode.

Always.
Unread 2012-03-04, 11:10   #21
ash#

Nov 1 2004
9,560 posts
Age 46
Male

Concur. And dale. Those three would make a nice hot lunch for a group of walkers.
Unread 2012-03-04, 12:42   #22
Chuck

May 6 2003
16,035 posts
Age 62
Male

Followed a link on a site the other day that contained spoilers, didn't know when I clicked. Wish I could unsee the spoilers but having saw them I think my exact thought was HOLY FUCK!
Keep watching kids.
Unread 2012-03-04, 16:13   #23
ash#

Nov 1 2004
9,560 posts
Age 46
Male

please make it so that lori is a walker and daryl headshots her with teh crossbow.
Unread 2012-03-04, 16:24   #24
b0rg9
Mecha+ Member

Jan 6 2004
9,455 posts
Age 53
Male
clearwater, FL

Quote:
please make it so that lori is a walker and daryl headshots her with teh crossbow.
That'd be awesome. And you think that might actually happen, as she had that tussle in the wrecked car with one and then they go on to point out those walker security guards seemed to have no bites, just scratches. I'm sure she got scratched.

I have to throw out most all logic though when it comes to zombies. If you critically think about it too much it makes no sense at all and takes the fun out of it.
Unread 2012-03-04, 19:38   #25
Chuck

May 6 2003
16,035 posts
Age 62
Male

Lori = Reggae sensation Boob Marley
I fucked the sheriff and I also fucked the deputy....

Yeah hate her a lot!
Unread 2012-03-05, 1:17   #26
b0rg9
Mecha+ Member

Jan 6 2004
9,455 posts
Age 53
Male
clearwater, FL

Quote:
And dale
Man, I kind of liked Dale for who he was -- the neckbearded aging hippie from my old college days -- kind of sucks to see him go. Or not.
Unread 2012-03-05, 8:47   #27
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
31,453 posts
Age 49
Male
On the trails

I didn't mind Dale so much when he had more modes than "bug-eyed, slack-jawed, 'I can't believe you're not getting me' Dale." His final point is solid, despite what the more pragmatic of the group believe. You kill the kid and you're exactly like the two douches who showed up at the bar: willing to kill fellow survivors to make your life easier.
Unread 2012-03-05, 8:54   #28
Chuck

May 6 2003
16,035 posts
Age 62
Male

The writers did a pretty crappy job with Dale. Very one dimensional, the old worry-wort who looked like he was ready to crap his pants at a moments notice. Not too sure the actor didn't want out of this one to bring about his demise.
Unread 2012-03-05, 11:24   #29
ash#

Nov 1 2004
9,560 posts
Age 46
Male

Hehe thanks for the spoiler tags. As if anyone can resist reading what is in the spoilers.
Unread 2012-03-05, 18:16   #30
FulanoDeTal
Mecha+ Member

Jul 25 2006
5,490 posts
Age 40
Male
Indianapolis, IN

must. resist. won't watch episode until later this week...

In other news, just got Volume One of the Comic. Looking forward to seeing the differences between the show and the book. I know they changed a lot.

(also did this with Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World - the movie and the book were almost identical.)
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Go Back   Mechapixel Forums > Entertainment Warehouse > TV > The Walking Dead
Post New Thread Reply