Learn more - Subscribe
HomeContestsQueueShowcaseArcadeForumsMembersAboutContact
Unread 2010-03-04, 5:57   #1
Gear Jammer

Jan 14 2004
5,555 posts
Male
Visiting my brain at the funny farm.

If the series is half as good as some of these stills, this should be a beautiful ride.
http://ecorazzi.com/slideshow/discov...nels-life/156/
Unread 2010-03-04, 8:46   #2
NocturnalGuy
Mecha+ Member

Oct 22 2003
4,967 posts
Age 46
Male
T.O.

It is awesome; I caught a few installments in hi-def.
Unread 2010-03-04, 11:06   #3
FulanoDeTal
Mecha+ Member

Jul 25 2006
5,490 posts
Age 40
Male
Indianapolis, IN

this show and their previous one "planet earth" would almost be reason enough to get a HD tv. (but lack of $$ is a better one not to) Can't wait to see these shows in any def. Thanks for the reminder, GJ
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Unread 2010-03-05, 5:01   #4
Gear Jammer

Jan 14 2004
5,555 posts
Male
Visiting my brain at the funny farm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FulanoDeTal View Post
this show and their previous one "planet earth" would almost be reason enough to get a HD tv. (but lack of $$ is a better one not to) Can't wait to see these shows in any def. Thanks for the reminder, GJ
If you've a nearby friend with an HD TV, I'd highly recommend inviting yourself over for a series of viewing parties...bring pizza, and beer, I'd let ya in. I watched the entire "Planet Earth" series back when it came out on my old digital SD 60", and am re-watching it now in HD, whole other experience. OMFingG, this and the coming series are reason enough to get me to go out and buy a blue ray player, and the disks from the "Planet Earth" series, as well as "Life" when it comes out in blu ray.
Unread 2010-03-17, 21:51   #5
bruno

Feb 4 2003
4,462 posts
Age 49
Male
Toledo Burbs

I was going to grumble and piss about Oprah doing the narration, I like the old British guy much better....discovered when the DVD comes out get the original BBC version with the old British guy, it's on pre-order at Amazon. The discovery channel will be selling the bastardized American Oprah version.
Unread 2010-03-19, 20:02   #6
vibes

Aug 9 2006
118 posts
Age 39
London

You have Oprah narrating instead of Sir David Attenborough? That's just... wrong. Do you at least get the making of bits afterwards? There's this great little scottish cameraman, he seems to spend his entire life sitting around trying to film something that no-one's ever filmed before, because you never see the buggers. He spent months sitting in a tiny hut on the side of a mountain in the himalayas for a couple of minutes footage of a snow leopard. And still smiles.

By the way... if any of you has or can get your hands on a UK proxy, all this stuff is almost constantly on the BBC iPlayer, at least one episode per week of life, planet earth, blue planet, what have you. Not full HD quality, but good enough to watch and enjoy. As a UK TV licence payer and therefore part owner of aforementioned productions, I hereby give you permission (but still buy the dvd's!) :p All with Dicky Attenborough, as god intended.
Unread 2010-03-19, 20:05   #7
kokopelli
Administrator

Feb 4 2003
6,448 posts
Male
Stavromula Beta

The American version of "Planet Earth" has Sigourney Weaver instead of Sir David. I have the version with her on Blu-Ray, but I've seen some good deals on the UK version (which apparently also has a bit more footage), so I may have to pull the trigger. I'm pretty sure Blu-Ray discs are Region-Free, so I'll probably opt to get the UK version of "Life."
Unread 2010-04-08, 11:31   #8
B L

Jun 11 2005
2,473 posts
Age 53
Male
a whale's vagina

Some of the footage is jawdrop cool, but Oprah kills it. As I listen all I can think is how I would love to hear Sigourney Weaver describe a scene where lions, cheetahs, and hyenas team up on Oprah until their prey is stolen away by some giant bird who then drops her kicking and screaming into the mouth of her giant baby.
Unread 2010-04-08, 16:18   #9
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
31,453 posts
Age 49
Male
On the trails

Are Americans that bad with accents that they have trouble with someone like David Attenborough? I mean it's not like it's EastEnders. Was it really going to hurt sales so much that they decided they needed to Americanize it with Oprah?
Go Back   Mechapixel Forums > Entertainment Warehouse > TV > Discovery Channel's "Life"
Post New Thread Reply