Ved
Administrator

Feb 3 2003
4,678 posts
Age 40
Male
Dallas

Hey folks,

Since the last 4 contests haven't had any entires at all, I'm wondering if we should put them on hold, or re-schedule them at long intervals. I know everyone is busy during the summer and taking vacations and such, so it may be best to really stretch out the contests during August.

I don't think the last few live contests are too hard to photoshop, meaning the source pictures are fine, it's just a matter of time and interest. Perhaps relisting them, with say a full week in-between each, would be better... what do you guys think? I just don't like several contests with zero entries sitting on the homepage and going gray with zero entries.

Widening our audience would certainly help, but that's something I've been pondering on how to accomplish for a year now. There have been some good suggestions which I'll revisit soon when I get some free time in the evenings. Making the homepage a bit more dynamic would help, because we do get a fair number of occasional hits from google and such, but people don't stick around. But anyway that's another topic.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Unread 2011-08-01, 11:34   #2
FulanoDeTal
Mecha+ Member

Jul 25 2006
5,260 posts
Age 39
Male
Indianapolis, IN

I was thinking the same thing. I think maybe stretch out the contests for a longer time. Maybe one per week or even longer.

I can't promise I'll do any shops in the near future but I'll promise to try.
Unread 2011-08-01, 13:45   #3
Dinahmoehum

Nov 1 2004
5,905 posts
Age 59
I'm Oprah Rich!

I don't have a clue. I do look at them. I have difficulty responding to emails let alone any other thing these days. I do very little in a day, yet I feel exhausted, and mentally tapped, I can't imaging how it feels to have a full time job on top of just staying alive these days.
Unread 2011-08-02, 15:26   #4
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
29,122 posts
Age 48
Male
On the trails

I think it's a good idea to stretch them out.
Unread 2011-08-02, 15:43   #5
NocturnalGuy
Mecha+ Member

Oct 22 2003
4,755 posts
Age 45
Male
T.O.

Stretching out is good...
Unread 2011-08-03, 10:52   #6
FulanoDeTal
Mecha+ Member

Jul 25 2006
5,260 posts
Age 39
Male
Indianapolis, IN

oh god, I have a bad feeling as to where this is going...
Unread 2011-08-05, 14:37   #7
Ved
Administrator

Feb 3 2003
4,678 posts
Age 40
Male
Dallas

Alright folks, I rescheduled the graffiti contests that didn't get much love, to be one week apart, starting on Monday August 15. I also changed the Harry Potter theme contest to be more of a general theme, and used Chuck's old movie poster "Dirty Harry Potter" as the example image.

You can view the upcoming contests here: http://mechapixel.com/contests.php

On a related note, I need to move the Slag/Faceoff/Volley contests to an archives page, and make the tab/link for "Contests" in the header go directly to the Graffiti contests page. That is the only type of contest we have held since the site was redesigned last year anyway, and I have a feeling everyone is content with casual checkbox voting for now, unless or until a completely new type is added in the future.
Unread 2011-08-07, 17:42   #8
NocturnalGuy
Mecha+ Member

Oct 22 2003
4,755 posts
Age 45
Male
T.O.

Thanks Ved!
Unread 2011-08-26, 10:26   #9
Ved
Administrator

Feb 3 2003
4,678 posts
Age 40
Male
Dallas

Okay I just flat out deleted the contest that was live this week. It was not the easiest source pic to work with, but after two runs of two weeks I don't think it was ever going to get an entry.

The next contest goes live on Monday. It's a wide-open Harry Potter theme contest.

Once again I don't know if photoshopping is just completely dead or no one knows we exist, or cares. As long as I can keep paying for the site I will do so, and I know that you fellas who do make Mecha a regular daily stop do appreciate the forums and shoutbox, but I feel so so lost as to why the contests don't attract outside interest, I can't even tell you. It makes me so depressed. It has been like this for years, aside from the year the site was down or nothing more than a board; I can understand it taking a while to recover from that. In any case I've all but given up hope.

This is NOT a plea for people to feel forced to photoshop in that contest by the way, just a general "why the fuck won't the site pick back up" as usual.
Unread 2011-08-26, 15:31   #10
Dinahmoehum

Nov 1 2004
5,905 posts
Age 59
I'm Oprah Rich!

I've said before, have no idea how to fix it. People are still 'shopping all over the net, just not here. People are spread thin across many more sites now. Only thing I could think of is partner with another site that doesn't have the infrastructure?
Go Back   Mechapixel Forums > Site Discussion > Announcements > Graffiti contests in August
Post New Thread Reply