Unread 2010-08-27, 6:15   #61
JangoFett
Mecha+ Member

Nov 1 2004
3,467 posts
Age 38
Male
Long, long ago in a galaxy far, far away

I like #3, but it could use some lens flare.

Click the image to open in full size.
Unread 2010-08-27, 10:05   #62
Domestic Goddess

Jan 19 2007
2,023 posts
Age 45
City of Brotherly Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by method View Post
it warms the cockles of my heart to see things perking up around here...thought I'd poke my head in the window and take a sneaky-peeky. Howdy folks!
Does the perking up perk things up?
Unread 2010-08-27, 12:29   #63
B L

Jun 11 2005
2,473 posts
Age 52
Male
a whale's vagina

Quote:
Originally Posted by method View Post
it warms the cockles of my heart to see things perking up around here...thought I'd poke my head in the window and take a sneaky-peeky. Howdy folks!
There goes the neighborhood.

Unread 2010-08-29, 1:43   #64
Ved
Administrator

Feb 3 2003
4,678 posts
Age 40
Male
Dallas

I cleaned up a lot of old Graffitis tonight. During spring 2009, just before the site crashed, several contests had no entries (it was not due to the site being down), and many more only had one entry. I deleted contests that had no entries, but left ones with 1 entry, since it wouldn't be fair to that person, even though it wasn't much of a contest.

I found some mystery entries from contests dated in early June last year so I don't know where they are from, really. The Graffiti ID indicates they were posted after the site first went down in May 2009, and the pictures are dated in early to mid June. There was no record of the contests in the last database I retrieved, so I'm kind of perplexed about when they were posted or which contests they belonged to.

You can browse them here; each folder is a different contest, and the image that doesn't contain a username is the original.

http://mechapixel.com/graffiti/lost2009/

The really suspicious thing is in one of those contest folders, there is an entry by Im_Just_An_Ordinary_Panda, who was last online in April 2009. So yeah I don't know where the hell those photoshops are from!

Last edited by Ved; 2010-08-29 at 2:00. Reason: wtf
Unread 2010-08-29, 5:10   #65
Gear Jammer

Jan 14 2004
5,555 posts
Male
Visiting my brain at the funny farm.

I have an entry in folder 8, the one with the astronaut. Still have it on the old desktop, and it's creation date was May 28th, 2009, and it was titled "Nightmare, At 1,800,000 Feet". Usually I would upload my entries, immediately after saving them, and it was the last PS I did before the site went down. Don't know if any of this is of any help in pinning down what's up with the phantom shops.

Also I remember a lot of the others, even though I have no entries in them, including the graffiti with Panda's entry. Could the upload dates have been jumbled some how?
Unread 2010-08-29, 6:33   #66
texasaurus

Mar 31 2003
2,436 posts
Male
Fort Worth, Texas

I remember a bunch of those, at least submitting them as graffitis.
Unread 2010-08-29, 15:50   #67
Ved
Administrator

Feb 3 2003
4,678 posts
Age 40
Male
Dallas

Hmm, well since the contests have no record in the database, I'll probably let them remain in purgatory.

On a brighter note, I restored the Photoshop Links Database, on the left sidebar. Check those out, and please let me know if you find a link that goes to a dead URL.

I didn't make as much headway as I wanted to this weekend on the homepage and contest automated scripts (CRON stuff), but still have a little time tonight and tomorrow, maybe Tuesday night. It should be ready to go next weekend; at worst I'll just use the old homepage and worry about the outdated stuff that is on it later.

Last edited by Ved; 2010-08-30 at 19:06. Reason: fixed link
Unread 2010-08-29, 20:17   #68
Gear Jammer

Jan 14 2004
5,555 posts
Male

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but clicking the Photoshop links link, both here, and on the forums page brings up, "THIS IS A PAGE NOT FOUND PAGE (NUMERIC CODE 404)<br/

UNFORTUNATELY THE PAGE YOU WERE TRYING TO ACCESS DOES NOT EXIST ON THE INTERTEN..."
Unread 2010-08-30, 12:02   #69
B L

Jun 11 2005
2,473 posts
Age 52
Male
a whale's vagina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gear Jammer View Post
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but clicking the Photoshop links link, both here, and on the forums page brings up, "THIS IS A PAGE NOT FOUND PAGE (NUMERIC CODE 404)<br/

UNFORTUNATELY THE PAGE YOU WERE TRYING TO ACCESS DOES NOT EXIST ON THE INTERTEN..."
Even worse is that the 404 page is chock full of typos. Fixing those has to become a top priority, especially now that the smiley is safely in place again.
Unread 2010-08-30, 15:53   #70
FulanoDeTal
Mecha+ Member

Jul 25 2006
5,260 posts
Age 39
Male
Indianapolis, IN

That's a simple fix. The url in the left hand navigation is incorrect.
You've got http://mechapixel.com/forums/links.php

but the real url is: http://mechapixel.com/links.php

I noticed when I clicked the link in the 404 page and got to the right place.
Unread 2010-08-30, 19:05   #71
Ved
Administrator

Feb 3 2003
4,678 posts
Age 40
Male
Dallas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gear Jammer View Post

Yep, sorry about that. I was swamped today and didn't get a chance to make the quick fix, or post about it. The link is fixed now on the forums sidebar.

I also added the ability to submit a link, at the top of that page.
Unread 2010-08-31, 17:59   #72
wirefish

Feb 17 2004
222 posts
Age 47
Male
Lower left corner of map

I hate to pick when everything is looking so great, Ved, but I noticed a weirdness on the graffitis. The name bubbles atop the entries render really badly in Safari: The bubble is slightly offset to the upper left, and the name (which I guess is supposed to be inside it?) is rendered a couple hundred pixels above it, somewhere in the preceding entry.

Keep up the awesomesauce!
Unread 2010-08-31, 19:12   #73
Ved
Administrator

Feb 3 2003
4,678 posts
Age 40
Male
Dallas

Hah, it looks worse than that for me, and in IE the bubble doesn't show up at all! I started working on it last night and left the guts hanging out when I had to go to bed. I was trying to figure out a different way to make the username stand out, but the floating bubble image and floating text on top isn't going to look the same in every browser.

Thanks for the notice though, I appreciate that kind of feedback.

Edit: ditched the speech bubble and spruced up the graffiti page in a more simple fashion

Last edited by Ved; 2010-08-31 at 22:57. Reason: @
Unread 2010-09-02, 0:34   #74
Ved
Administrator

Feb 3 2003
4,678 posts
Age 40
Male
Dallas

Homepage update:

I'm still working on it, and I can't really give an ETA because I will have personal stuff to tend to this weekend, which is when I planned to bang out most of the progress. I'd guess closer to mid-September (two weeks) for Graffitis to go live. I apologize for the delay, but I promise you it will be worth it.

Preview: The new homepage will contain lots of containers, or boxes. The old homepage had them as well, but they were all contest-related, displaying the top 3 entries and stretching across the whole screen.

The new homepage will display the original and/or winning entry only, so it won't take up as much room. The page will also have boxes for other things going on with the site, such as latest posts in the forums (excluding Aarkie's Corner), latest posts in Aarkie's Corner only, and latest Arcade highscores.

Ideally, you will want to set your bookmark to the homepage rather than the forums, as you will be able to get a glimpse at absolutely everything going on with the site, via the homepage. Photoshop contests will remain the priority, but they won't dominate the homepage as they did before.

The new homepage will probably be designed for screen resolutions of 1152 width or greater. I may consider 1024x768, but I think Mechapixel's general audience has upgraded or will soon be upgrading to LCD screens, which favor at least 1280x1024. In any case, I need to widen things a bit in the design of the homepage.

If your resolution is generally 1024x768, please post here letting me know. If you are still rocking 800x600, well there isn't much I can do to help there. Also note this only affects your screen resolution, not font size, if you older folks happen to have that set to "super huge".

Finally, I'm working on two other major additions/changes to the non-forums areas of the site: integrating Facebook/Digg buttons to contests and such, and fixing time/date displays so they actually adjust to your Time Zone setting. Previously, time stamps in contests/entry comments just used the local server time no matter what. I know that is lame and I'm finally going to fix it.

More to come!
Unread 2010-09-02, 8:04   #75
ash#

Nov 1 2004
8,903 posts
Age 45
Male
One of those indoor shopping malls

Looks like I am using 1400 by 1050 or something right now.

If you have any room on the homepage, I loved the "featured pic of the day".
Unread 2010-09-02, 11:36   #76
B L

Jun 11 2005
2,473 posts
Age 52
Male
a whale's vagina

Just a reminder to Ved that Rome wasn't built in a day. Not even Rome PA.

So, we're gonna need you to come in Saturday. That'd be great.

Unread 2010-09-02, 12:33   #77
fray

Aug 27 2005
1,497 posts
Age 49
Male
Redlands, CA

he said cockles...
Unread 2010-09-04, 14:32   #78
Ved
Administrator

Feb 3 2003
4,678 posts
Age 40
Male
Dallas

Here is a preview of the main content area of the new homepage. I decided to stick with the light color theme seen on the photoshop contest listings and entry pages, because hell, if it ain't broke don't fix it. The header and sidebar did need a lot of work though, and they will be quite different.

I have four questions related to the sample below; please give your input if possible!
  1. It has a lot of color. Is it too busy, or is it well-suited to the multitude of different information available?
  2. Do you like the box order? Meaning contests on the left, other stuff on the right.
  3. Imagine this is your main Mecha bookmark and you go to it first every day. Is it satisfying? Do you like the information that is presented?
  4. What other kinds of information would you like to see on the homepage?

Click for Full-Size

Personally I like the setup, although having nothing but a grid of boxes on a homepage seems ...different. I like all of the content displayed, but if there was something else worth adding as a box, perhaps the Featured Picture could be moved to the sidebar, as it was before. I don't yet know if there will be a right sidebar as well as left. On the old homepage right sidebar, we had the Featured Pic of the Day, Tournament links, and Collaboration contest links.

The only content on the site I am decidedly against displaying on the homepage is the Shoutbox. Other than that, I want to add enough (in a concise simple manner) that people will want to visit the homepage quite often.
Unread 2010-09-04, 20:35   #79
Gear Jammer

Jan 14 2004
5,555 posts
Male

1 Color scheme looks good to me
2 Being most folks tend to look left to right, due to reading that way all their lives,
I definitely like having the contests left of the other page content, so that's the
1st thing brought to folks mind.
3 yes, and yes.
4 Only other thing I can think of that might be good to have on the homepage, is a
vote button, to remind folks to vote in the Que of potential PS threads.

LMAO at the Latest Arcade Highscores box.
Unread 2010-09-04, 22:22   #80
b0rg9
Mecha+ Member

Jan 6 2004
8,963 posts
Age 52
Male
clearwater, FL

My suggestion would be to try slightly more muted colors to allow more attention to the pics. They're already pastel-ish so that's cool -- and I'm really alright with them. They're nice. But I wonder if the same color scheme, except cranked back a notch would make the pics pop more.
Unread 2010-09-04, 22:37   #81
Ved
Administrator

Feb 3 2003
4,678 posts
Age 40
Male
Dallas

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0rg9 View Post
My suggestion would be to try slightly more muted colors to allow more attention to the pics. They're already pastel-ish so that's cool -- and I'm really alright with them. They're nice. But I wonder if the same color scheme, except cranked back a notch would make the pics pop more.
This is a decent idea, so I went into photoshop and selected all areas except the pictures, and desaturated the rest somewhat for a quick and dirty example. How about one of these...

Original: http://mechapixel.com/img/previews/n...e-09042010.png - which yeah is really almost too vivid, compared to what follows...
A little less vivid: http://mechapixel.com/img/previews/n...saturation.png
Waaay less vivid: http://mechapixel.com/img/previews/n...saturation.png
Washed out; not as dark: http://mechapixel.com/img/previews/n..._washedout.png

I tried it completely desaturated, or greytones, and it looked like shit honestly. I mean the images really pop but the rest is so boring... http://mechapixel.com/img/previews/n...42010_grey.png

Last edited by Ved; 2010-09-05 at 0:59.
Unread 2010-09-04, 22:58   #82
Ved
Administrator

Feb 3 2003
4,678 posts
Age 40
Male
Dallas

Wait scratch all that. Here is just a tiny bit less vibrant, but is quite different (and colors aren't dull-ugly). New on left, original on right.

Unread 2010-09-05, 5:49   #83
Gear Jammer

Jan 14 2004
5,555 posts
Male

In all honesty, the difference to me is so minor, that even side by side it's barely noticeable. Guess that ends my future in interior design.
Unread 2010-09-05, 6:53   #84
b0rg9
Mecha+ Member

Jan 6 2004
8,963 posts
Age 52
Male
clearwater, FL

Yeah I thought with the colors pulled back it might benefit the pictures, but after seeing it I think I still like the way it is best.
Unread 2010-09-05, 9:27   #85
AsMuch

Dec 2 2005
6,089 posts
Age 38
Male
Massachusetts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ved View Post
If your resolution is generally 1024x768, please post here letting me know. If you are still rocking 800x600, well there isn't much I can do to help there. Also note this only affects your screen resolution, not font size, if you older folks happen to have that set to "super huge".
I hate to be a bother, especially with so much work going on, but can there be
a setting for those of us on terminals? This site doesn’t render well in lynx
nor does it accept only 80 columns as a viable screen resolution. Additionally
I think the colors should only be in amber or green on black as those are the
colors that can be displayed on my screen. Oh, and can there be a “translate
to ASCII” option for graffitis that I may be able to print out on my dot
matrix printer? Thanks!

Seriously, great work on the site. Keep it up.
Unread 2010-09-06, 3:41   #86
wakitu

Nov 30 2004
725 posts
Female
CA, looking up at the eagle's rock

Quote:
Homepage update:

If your resolution is generally 1024x768, please post here letting me know.
Somewhat embarrassingly, yes I am in 1024 here on my commodore.

Quote:
Also note this only affects your screen resolution, not font size, if you older folks happen to have that set to "super huge".
Watch it punk! *shakes cane menacingly*
Unread 2010-09-07, 1:02   #87
B L

Jun 11 2005
2,473 posts
Age 52
Male
a whale's vagina

1. Is it too busy? No
2. Do you like the box order? Sure
3. Is it satisfying? Do you like the information that is presented? Sure
4. What other kinds of information would you like to see on the homepage? Most prolific contributors to contests, queue, contest comments. But only as a "what have you done for me lately" thing, like most recent week or two, or month.
Unread 2010-09-08, 5:04   #88
Gear Jammer

Jan 14 2004
5,555 posts
Male

Quote:
I should be working on finishing the homepage but ughhhhhh the arcade is so fun.
Young man, get back in your room, and finish your homepage work, then you can come down, and have some milk, and cookies, and play some video games.
Unread 2010-09-09, 11:23   #89
fray

Aug 27 2005
1,497 posts
Age 49
Male
Redlands, CA

Thanks Ved.

/hate Stackopolis
//30 seconds for level 4! FFFFFFUUUUUU!!!!
Unread 2010-09-10, 10:07   #90
Ved
Administrator

Feb 3 2003
4,678 posts
Age 40
Male
Dallas

Reminder: there are two live Graffiti contests, which will end on Monday 8:00 AM. By that point, the new homepage will be launched, and the Mechapixel Banners contest will go live! Be sure to throw something in to the banners contest if you haven't yet (or even if you have but come up with another idea). The banners Graffiti will be live for 4 days.

The contest schedule starting next week will be:

- Weekday Graffiti will go live on Monday morning and last 4 days, ending on Friday
- Weekend Graffiti will go live on Thursday morning and last 4 days, ending on Monday
- All times will be 9:00 AM EST/8:00 AM CST.

( Edit: All graffitis that were posted for 12/31/2010 are now rescheduled. We have contests covered for the next three weeks! Every Monday and Thursday morning. )

As mentioned the new homepage will be live, even if it isn't all ready yet. It's time to rock!

Also, I hate to limit contests at all while we're trying to get them going but by this time next month, Mecha+ will be reinstated, so you won't be able to see all upcoming contests way in advance unless you have M+ (or had it when the site went down last year, which I previously mentioned I would honor). I hate to possibly hinder contest activity, but at the same time I hate to cover most of the operating costs myself, and it may be a factor if I don't bring back Mecha+ next month. August and this month were covered by a few of ya and I appreciate it very much.

Last edited by Ved; 2010-09-10 at 11:15. Reason: graffi schedule
Go Back   Mechapixel Forums > Site Discussion > Announcements > Mechapixel Overhaul Progress
Post New Thread Reply