Unread 2010-09-05, 10:27   #1
Ved
Administrator

Feb 3 2003
4,678 posts
Age 40
Male
Dallas

The arcade is set up, and most of the old 200+ games we had are installed!

I'll use this thread to post updates and changes to the arcade system.

You should use this thread to post any suggestions, report bugs, broken games, etc.

Enjoy!

Last edited by Ved; 2010-09-14 at 19:22. Reason: moved arcade-related posts to a dedicated topic
Unread 2010-09-06, 7:51   #2
Gear Jammer

Jan 14 2004
5,555 posts
Male
Visiting my brain at the funny farm.

Very minor issue, but Aski in the arcade is just showing up as a black box when I try to play it.
Unread 2010-09-06, 9:53   #3
Ved
Administrator

Feb 3 2003
4,678 posts
Age 40
Male
Dallas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gear Jammer View Post
Very minor issue, but Aski in the arcade is just showing up as a black box when I try to play it.
Thank ya. Please do let me know if you come across any game that is actually messed up (doesn't submit a score), or is too small. The size is completely adjustable, so if reading the text in the game makes you squint let me know.

Oh and just a reminder to everyone, the scores will be wiped out in about a couple weeks so keep that in mind! Play for fun, not fun and glory.
Unread 2010-09-06, 12:53   #4
Twiggy

Jul 9 2006
692 posts
Age 26

Curveball wasn't submitting scores for me, I played it 3 times with no success in that regard and now it seems to have worked the most recent time. Weird.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Unread 2010-09-06, 13:43   #5
Ved
Administrator

Feb 3 2003
4,678 posts
Age 40
Male
Dallas

Yeah the arcade had a default submit time limit of 3 seconds (to reduce the chance of someone trying to cheat and falsify the score being submitted. I'll up it to 5 seconds for now, but if the site hiccups then there is a chance it will time out and not take the score.

Quote:
Eh I went ahead and removed that game; it was just plain broken. R.I.P.
Unread 2010-09-06, 14:25   #6
Ved
Administrator

Feb 3 2003
4,678 posts
Age 40
Male
Dallas

Actually scratch that about wiping all game scores; they are set up fine and the only issue is with some repeat instances of games or games not working at all. Game scores will stay put.

I'll clean up the double/triple instances of games, and post here if you come across a game that is either too small/not working, or won't submit scores repeatedly.
Unread 2010-09-07, 11:19   #7
Gear Jammer

Jan 14 2004
5,555 posts
Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ved View Post
Actually scratch that about wiping all game scores; they are set up fine and the only issue is with some repeat instances of games or games not working at all. Game scores will stay put.
My sore old man wrist thanks you.

Quote:
Quote:
Eh I went ahead and removed that game; it was just plain broken. R.I.P.
Bummer, pretty basic game as I remember it (downhill skiing using only / as borders, and || as the skis but challenging.
Unread 2010-09-07, 13:17   #8
Gear Jammer

Jan 14 2004
5,555 posts
Male

Seems to be a scoring glitch with "Boredmeeting", twasn't there in the old arcade, but tis now. When you miss a shot, the "your score" is supposed to reset to 0, while the "your best" locks in at the final shot you made in your best series of throws, until you surpass it on the "your score" counter. Now "your score" doesn't reset when you miss, and you continue to add to "your best", even after missing, until you just decide to call it quits.
Unread 2010-09-07, 15:35   #9
method

Feb 4 2003
1,247 posts
Age 39
Male
Location, Location

oop...that Boredmeeting one was what I was about to submit!
feel free to wipe my score once things are copacetic
Unread 2010-09-07, 16:06   #10
Gear Jammer

Jan 14 2004
5,555 posts
Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by method View Post
oop...that Boredmeeting one was what I was about to submit!
feel free to wipe my score once things are copacetic
As well as mine, if the game is savable, from it's current disrepair.
Unread 2010-09-07, 17:17   #11
method

Feb 4 2003
1,247 posts
Age 39
Male
Location, Location

it appears some (all?) of the golf games, such as "Midi Golf", aren't too clear on the concept of golf-scoring .
Low score should be best, it's listing them with highest score first.
Unread 2010-09-07, 17:28   #12
Peaceboy

Feb 4 2003
3,798 posts
Male
Boogie Wonderland

Quote:
it appears some (all?) of the golf games, such as "Midi Golf", aren't too clear on the concept of golf-scoring .
Low score should be best, it's listing them with highest score first.
Aw, hell, I've been working on the high score for a day and a half. Thanks a lot.
Unread 2010-09-07, 21:35   #13
Ved
Administrator

Feb 3 2003
4,678 posts
Age 40
Male
Dallas

Did the following things in the Arcade:

- Found and installed working version of Stackopolis
- Found and installed working version of Gold Miner
- Fixed Pool Jam
- Fixed all Golf and Weetabix games to count lowest score as the winner

Added a few new games I don't think we've ever had before:
- 4 Wheel Madness, Hypertube, Acorns Adventure. Got a lot more to try out but I'm going to wait quite a while so we don't run out of new games in the future.

- Removed Boredmeeting; couldn't get it to work or find a working copy
- Removed OrgasmGirl because it was pissing me off ...nah just kidding it just wasn't working out... er you know what I mean... the game was broken, not the girl
- Removed Grow because it isn't working and I can't find it anywhere online
- Looked for working copy of Aski, because I too think it was an awesome little game, but it just isn't compatible with this arcade software. Didn't find anything.

Also I'm turning on the old skin/template - it isn't completely ready but close enough, and looks much nicer. I need to reduce the number of tables though or something, it's cluttered.

I should be working on finishing the homepage but ughhhhhh the arcade is so fun.

Last edited by Ved; 2010-09-08 at 0:03. Reason: a
Unread 2010-09-10, 16:49   #14
method

Feb 4 2003
1,247 posts
Age 39
Male
Location, Location

the "Kill Time in Office" game doesn't appear to be working, at least for me.
Unread 2010-09-11, 11:58   #15
Ved
Administrator

Feb 3 2003
4,678 posts
Age 40
Male
Dallas

Quote:
the "Kill Time in Office" game doesn't appear to be working, at least for me.
yeah it seems to be borked, so I removed it
Unread 2010-09-14, 17:51   #16
method

Feb 4 2003
1,247 posts
Age 39
Male
Location, Location

I currently have the high score in Blast Billiards (1700 and change)...I have noticed though that scores above 2000 don't appear to register. At least, the last 3 times I have scored more than 2000pts the game borks, freezes at the 'splosion screen.
Unread 2010-09-14, 18:18   #17
Gear Jammer

Jan 14 2004
5,555 posts
Male

Catch 33 needs to be set in the arcade, such that lowest score is the leader, and not higher. The score is based on limiting your time in getting all the boxes caught in numerical order.
Unread 2010-09-14, 19:34   #18
Ved
Administrator

Feb 3 2003
4,678 posts
Age 40
Male
Dallas

Catch 33 has been fixed, and the current champion corrected.

Not much I can do about Blast Billiards. It's extremely popular so I'd hesitate to remove it, maybe just add a note that scores over 2000 won't save? It sucks but I can't pick the swf apart to fix it, unfortunately.
Unread 2010-09-14, 19:55   #19
Ved
Administrator

Feb 3 2003
4,678 posts
Age 40
Male
Dallas

Actually I did do something! I went looking for different versions of Blast Billiards, and found v4 and "Gold". I then noticed we already have v4 installed, and it was called Ultimate Blast Billiards. So I renamed it and I removed the old Blast Billiards.

Play both the new Blast Billiards 4 and Blast Billiards Gold and let me know if either lets you score over 2000. I bet both will.
Unread 2010-09-15, 15:50   #20
Ved
Administrator

Feb 3 2003
4,678 posts
Age 40
Male
Dallas

Has anyone been able to submit a score for 3D Chess? It might be a non-scoring game, but I don't know if it's just me.
Unread 2010-09-15, 17:15   #21
Gear Jammer

Jan 14 2004
5,555 posts
Male

Quote:
Has anyone been able to submit a score for 3D Chess? It might be a non-scoring game, but I don't know if it's just me.
Haven't even tried it yet...I'll give er a go, and let ya know in a tick.
Unread 2010-09-15, 17:29   #22
Gear Jammer

Jan 14 2004
5,555 posts
Male

Yep, doesn't seem to have any scoring, unless perhaps you happen to win, and since I suck at chess, I did not.
Unread 2010-09-15, 18:50   #23
method

Feb 4 2003
1,247 posts
Age 39
Male
Location, Location

I tried the 3d Chess but the viewpoint was so annoying that I quit after about 3 moves.

PS the game "Stunt Street" appears to be poked
Unread 2010-09-16, 0:15   #24
Ved
Administrator

Feb 3 2003
4,678 posts
Age 40
Male
Dallas

Yeah, I removed 3d chess and added "Easy Chess", which works and is pretty simple!

I'll remove Stunt Street as well.
Unread 2010-09-16, 9:32   #25
davet

Jan 6 2004
1,933 posts
Male
Toronto, Canada

Sloyd has its high scoring backwards - lower scores should be better than higher.
Unread 2010-09-16, 10:47   #26
Ved
Administrator

Feb 3 2003
4,678 posts
Age 40
Male
Dallas

Thanks, fixed.

Oh also I noticed lowscores weren't posting to the shoutbox so i tweaked it some, sorry if you and/or DG got multiple PM notifications
Unread 2010-09-16, 16:46   #27
Gear Jammer

Jan 14 2004
5,555 posts
Male

Moon Cave is busterated...when you go down into the cave, at what should be the 2nd screen change, your ship just disappears, and you can do nothing further.
Unread 2010-09-16, 19:02   #28
Ved
Administrator

Feb 3 2003
4,678 posts
Age 40
Male
Dallas

Wow you're right, that game is broken. Off it goes.

Oh since I noticed some folks mentioning it earlier, here is how high score announcements in the Shoutbox work:

If you get the highest score for a game (or lowest score based on game type), it posts it in the shoutbox in nice blue text. Times this might have not worked/appeared to work properly:

- Your score was the first for that game. It doesn't announce highscores if you didn't actually beat someone else. This is intentional, and will not be much of an issue soon as almost every game now has a score.

- You topped your own high score, i.e. you were already the champion but just raised the bar. Again, it doesn't announce if you aren't actually dethroning anyone - this is intentional for spam reasons.

- The script didn't account for games where lower score is better. I added this condition earlier today (or yesterday?), so over the past two weeks, anytime you became the champ of a golf game or similar, it didn't work. It should now.

Hope that clears it up!
Unread 2010-09-16, 22:43   #29
Twiggy

Jul 9 2006
692 posts
Age 26

The arcade seems to not like submitting my scores when they're over 20000... I dunno why it seems to be doing this just for me. I got 17,18,19000 in Not Just Cricket and it submitted, then I got 23000 and 25000 and it wasn't submitted either time. Same deal with Curveball for me.

Edit: I clicked Submit Score soon as possible and it went immediately to the will not be submitted page. So I don't think I'm just timing out.
Unread 2010-09-17, 0:06   #30
Ved
Administrator

Feb 3 2003
4,678 posts
Age 40
Male
Dallas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiggy View Post
The arcade seems to not like submitting my scores when they're over 20000... I dunno why it seems to be doing this just for me. I got 17,18,19000 in Not Just Cricket and it submitted, then I got 23000 and 25000 and it wasn't submitted either time. Same deal with Curveball for me.

Edit: I clicked Submit Score soon as possible and it went immediately to the will not be submitted page. So I don't think I'm just timing out.
That is very bizzare and unique bug, then. It must have something to do with some weird proxy it thinks you're coming from, but are not. Your user account is certainly no different from anyone else who has had no trouble with it.
Go Back   Mechapixel Forums > Site Discussion > Announcements > Arcade Discussion: Additions, Updates, Bug Reports
Post New Thread Reply