b0rg9
Mecha+ Member

Jan 6 2004
9,851 posts
Age 54
Male
clearwater, FL

https://www.elitedangerous.com/

Anyone else heard of this game? Saw that it was kickstarter-funded, as well as other places, and has been around for a while in the PC gaming world. This latest version, though, looks like something ready to head well into the future as it's occulus rift-compatible and will be 4k video (up to 16k video) supported as well.

I just heard about it in this month's MaximumPC. Not sure how soon it'll be to console. I have never been into MMO's but this looks sorta cool. I'd like to take a ship way way out to the outer edges and just see how far I could go. Although there may be more exciting ways to play. I don't have any gamer PC friends online so I don't know how I'll be joining up w/ anyone unless they think I'm super cool (which I am). Also, this looks like the type of game to invest in a flight stick controller for.
Unread 2015-03-02, 11:58   #2
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
33,209 posts
Age 50
Male
On the trails

Looks pretty damn cool.
Unread 2015-03-05, 13:49   #3
b0rg9
Mecha+ Member

Jan 6 2004
9,851 posts
Age 54
Male
clearwater, FL

Coming to Xbox One this summer...

http://www.theguardian.com/technolog...-one-microsoft

I've only just messed with a few tutorials w/ keyboard and mouse so far. I may not even be able to get much play time in this weekend either even though I'll have the HOTAS controller by then. Too many other weekend plans.

Anyway, I'll definitely give you guys an update on it when I get a chance. One thing I do know so far is that it runs great on highest settings with my 2011 build quad-core i5, 8gig of RAM and a GTX 560 video card. Guess because there's not a relatively vast amount of stuff to render in space.
Unread 2015-03-10, 22:03   #4
b0rg9
Mecha+ Member

Jan 6 2004
9,851 posts
Age 54
Male
clearwater, FL

So, the March update of this came out today which adds lots of multiplayer cooperative features and new ships, yada yada.

http://www.pcgamer.com/elite-dangero...es-live-today/

Also. I've been playing this now a lot between last weekend and yesterday and have to say, this is about the best video I've seen summing up what this game is about...

Like all the few games I gravitate to, this is probably not for everyone (I like the Skyrim comparison in the middle of the vid).
Unread 2015-03-11, 8:24   #5
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
33,209 posts
Age 50
Male
On the trails

Good summation. I'm intrigued and it's basically unlike 99% of the games I play these days. It's maybe similar in the "you're nobody" way to GTA Online, and I enjoy that. It gets kind of tiresome being THE LEGEND all the time.

Yes yes, I'm the legend. So why am I running around tasked with picking herbs for some jaghole. I'M THE PIEFUCKER!

http://www.moviewavs.com/php/sounds/...=recognize.mp3 (NSFW Audio)
Unread 2015-03-29, 16:30   #6
b0rg9
Mecha+ Member

Jan 6 2004
9,851 posts
Age 54
Male
clearwater, FL

'Elite: Dangerous' Player Awarded $15,000 For Being The Best

"Space-sim Elite: Dangerous launched late last year with a contest featuring nearly $20,000 in prize money. The challenge? Reach the rank of "Elite" in one or all of the game's three major categories first.

The prize is broken down into three smaller prizes and one grand prize. The players to first reach "Elite" rank in trade, exploration or combat will each be awarded 1,000 pounds, or roughly $1,500. For the brave soul who manages to reach "Elite" rank in all three categories first, a whopping 10,000 pound prize, or around $15,000.

Now, more than three months after the game's launch, we finally have the winners. Elite: Dangerous developer Frontier Developments announced the winners via YouTube over the weekend, and the numbers behind the accomplishments of these players are astounding." (More w/ youtube vid)

Pic of winnar (except replace K/M with flightstick controller and throttle)...

Click the image to open in full size.
Unread 2015-04-01, 12:54   #7
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
33,209 posts
Age 50
Male
On the trails

Unread 2015-04-19, 20:46   #8
b0rg9
Mecha+ Member

Jan 6 2004
9,851 posts
Age 54
Male
clearwater, FL

So, a pretty lucrative part of this game involves trading "rare" commodities. That is, unique items to a particular station in a system where the goods increase in value the further away you haul them to sell.

Anyway, in my quest for rares I ran across the Zaonce system where the "Ridley Scott" station exists. Wouldn't you know it, the rare commodity available for purchase here are "Leathery Eggs"

Unread 2015-04-20, 10:07   #9
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
33,209 posts
Age 50
Male
On the trails

All other priorities rescinded.

Well played!
Go Back   Mechapixel Forums > Entertainment Warehouse > Gaming > Elite: Dangerous
Post New Thread Reply