Post New Thread Reply
Unread 2018-04-17, 11:03   #1
aarkieboy

Feb 5 2003
75,646 posts
Age 62
Male
Somewhere on this ball we call "Earth"

"A teacher at Hand Middle School said he is being fired for serving whole-grain pancakes to his students while they took the Pennsylvania System of School Assessment last week.

Kyle Byler, who has taught eighth-grade social studies at Hand since 2013, said he was suspended without pay on April 10 after assistant Principal Marian Grill walked into Byler’s class and questioned why he was making breakfast for his students.

Byler had brought an electric griddle and made one whole-grain pancake for each test-taker to eat during the test, he said.

Within 24 hours, Byler, who parents have labeled as the “eighth-grade dad” at Hand, was called into a meeting with administrators and told he’d be terminated for causing a distraction during PSSA testing, he said.

The school board, he said, is expected to approve his firing at its meeting Tuesday at 7 p.m. at McCaskey East, 1051 Lehigh Ave.

Click the image to open in full size.

“I don’t understand what I did wrong, to be honest with you. There was no infraction whatsoever,” Byler, 38, said in a phone interview on Monday. “At no point was it any distraction for any of the students. They worked their butts off.”

According to the Pennsylvania Department of Education, there is no rule against serving or preparing food during the PSSAs; however, “those activities would likely interfere with ‘actively monitoring’ the assessment, which is a key task,” spokeswoman Nicole Reigelman said." (More)
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Unread 2018-04-17, 11:13   #2
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
29,878 posts
Age 48
Male
On the trails

The school's namesake made it quite clear how he felt about eating in class.

Click the image to open in full size.
Unread 2018-04-17, 11:15   #3
ash#

Nov 1 2004
9,148 posts
Age 45
Male
One of those indoor shopping malls

Yea the PSSA is a pretty brutal standardized test they take in public schools. Couple hours a day for like 2 weeks. My daughters teachers would give them candy and food too.
Go Back   Mechapixel Forums > Main > Aarkie's Corner > Teacher Set to Lose His Job Over Whole-Grain Pancakes
Post New Thread Reply