Unread 2013-09-21, 19:23   #31
FulanoDeTal
Mecha+ Member

Jul 25 2006
5,605 posts
Age 41
Male
Indianapolis, IN

I got mine yesterday and after two attempts to install on my ext. drive getting corrupted, I finally got it working. I was worried for a bit there.
I went to "Santa Monica" at night and ended up in the ocean. Wow the reflections of all the neon lights on the water is amazing, go take a look. I also found an electric car at the hollywood bowl, that car is awesome! The graphics are the most impressive thing so far. Notice the weather changes yet?
I too can't wait to fly. Played some tennis and golf. Cool but I dont know how often I'll do that. I guess the stat building might force me to though.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-09-23, 8:36   #32
JangoFett
Mecha+ Member

Nov 1 2004
3,467 posts
Age 40
Male
Long, long ago in a galaxy far, far away

I keep finding interesting landmarks in the city. Last night I found the 3rd Street Promenade in Santa Monica. They even have the old movie theaters there and a coffee place where I had coffee. I don't think I've ever had this weird sense of deja vu in a game before.

I finally got to Trevor this weekend That guy is nuts.
Unread 2013-09-23, 10:40   #33
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
33,362 posts
Age 50
Male
On the trails

The detail in this game is amazing.

Note re: flying and Trevor... when you do his early mission with planes, go under bridges to get a higher mission score (6 total). I replayed that mission a few times just to get that

Speaking of scores, I like how they get you competing with friends (last night I had a popup that said FDT beat my score in the first heist) though damned if I can find where you can see your scores or a leaderboard. The Social Club site still seems wonky.

Starting the game last night as Trevor, I woke up on the top of some hiking trail after, apparently, a meth binge. Not the way I expected to do my first mountain biking in the game, but that's what happened. Closest vehicle was a bike so I hit the trail.
Unread 2013-09-23, 11:14   #34
FulanoDeTal
Mecha+ Member

Jul 25 2006
5,605 posts
Age 41
Male
Indianapolis, IN

I think its cool how they add those details like the 3rd St. Promenade. I don't know LA much other than the big landmarks but it's cool that if you know the city you'll definitely recognize the little things too.

\o/ Repo, You forget 1000 things every day... don't let that be one of them escaping on the bikes through the tunnels after that first heist was REALLY fun! I haven't seen any of those updates, maybe because I'm not Gold. I'm not quite sure what score or the medal color is all about probably just for replay-ability so you go back again and again.

I noticed the bridge thing while flying too, but I didn't see that it affected the mission, I just thought it was a challenge throughout the game that there are 50 different bridges to fly under and you should go after them all.

*this could possibly be the first game I buy on release day and I'm having fun discovering it with you guys. I'm usually a few years behind, for economic reasons, and I still get a kick out of the games, but talking about it adds to the fun.
Unread 2013-09-24, 9:38   #35
JangoFett
Mecha+ Member

Nov 1 2004
3,467 posts
Age 40
Male

I'm digging the stock market feature. In some missions, it's strongly hinted that your actions will affect certain companies. I pop open the phone an buy all the stock I can before finishing the mission. One mission gave me a 23% stock profit on a $65,000 investment.

Maybe one day, I'll be able to buy the airport hanger for $1.37 mil.
Unread 2013-09-24, 10:56   #36
FulanoDeTal
Mecha+ Member

Jul 25 2006
5,605 posts
Age 41
Male
Indianapolis, IN

Well of course YOU do, Jango, you number-nerd... I haven't even looked at it yet.

math is hard
Unread 2013-09-24, 11:32   #37
ash#

Nov 1 2004
10,029 posts
Age 47
Male
One of those indoor shopping malls

damn, i need to play more. I seem really slow at this game, didnt even get to the first heist. stupid life intruding on my gaming. The lack of me being in scranton is reaaaaaalllllyyyy cutting into my gaming.
Unread 2013-09-26, 8:04   #38
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
33,362 posts
Age 50
Male
On the trails

Took Michael to flight school last night, which was fun and helpful. When finished, I decided to see what was available at the airport... hey, a jumbo jet, why not. Immediate 3 star wanted level, but I got the thing on a runway before I managed to stall it or something and I couldn't get it started again and got killed.

There are going to be some big possibilities for mayhem in multiplayer.
Unread 2013-09-26, 8:38   #39
ash#

Nov 1 2004
10,029 posts
Age 47
Male

I am surprised that the wingnets dont have their panties all wadded about that being a 9/11 style terrorism simulator.
Unread 2013-09-26, 12:53   #40
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
33,362 posts
Age 50
Male
On the trails

Maybe the pantybunch crowd have already seen the following and realized that any terrorist training will be rendered ineffective by generally being a spaz. Michael would never be able to run that terrorist obstacle course they were so big on showing back in the old days of the terrorist scare.

http://kotaku.com/gta-v-physics-look...ife-1399088704

Freaking gif cracks me up.

edit:

Last edited by RepoMan; 2013-09-26 at 12:59.
Unread 2013-09-26, 13:15   #41
FulanoDeTal
Mecha+ Member

Jul 25 2006
5,605 posts
Age 41
Male
Indianapolis, IN

the other video "front flip for style" is pretty good too, but the two commentators sound like douchebags
Unread 2013-10-01, 7:26   #42
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
33,362 posts
Age 50
Male
On the trails

Played a little online this morning... as they promised it's a bit rough, probably getting crushed. I managed to complete the first two jobs, but it crashed hard on the last one. Had to reboot the Xbox. Still, it looks like it's going to be fun.
Unread 2013-10-01, 11:27   #43
FulanoDeTal
Mecha+ Member

Jul 25 2006
5,605 posts
Age 41
Male
Indianapolis, IN

I signed up for Gold yesterday so I can get online, we'll see what happens when I get home and try to set it up. I just read an article that said they couldn't do anything with it other than create their character. I hope they get the kinks out soon.
Unread 2013-10-01, 13:07   #44
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
33,362 posts
Age 50
Male
On the trails

Yeah, I was home at lunch and it said it couldn't connect to the "cloud servers" but you could choose to play with a random character (meaning your stats and progress wouldn't be saved). I didn't bother trying.

What I did get to play was fun, though. Even with random jokers. The people I got matched with were all working toward the objective rather the griefing, though it's way early. I think this multiplayer could have some legs.
Unread 2013-10-01, 14:48   #45
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
33,362 posts
Age 50
Male
On the trails

Created a crew emblem for the hell of it... not sure how it'll look in-game, but it looks like it's published to the crew.

Click the image to open in full size.

edit: made a couple variations

Last edited by RepoMan; 2013-10-01 at 15:39.
Unread 2013-10-01, 16:03   #46
FulanoDeTal
Mecha+ Member

Jul 25 2006
5,605 posts
Age 41
Male
Indianapolis, IN

that's BAD ASS! nice job

btw, what's the deal with the fireman helmets on the characters in the friends page?
Unread 2013-10-03, 8:40   #47
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
33,362 posts
Age 50
Male
On the trails

Fireman helmets?

Last night was pretty stable and the whole online structure really started clicking with me. Some things I really like:

- Seeing waypoints created by another player you're with, like seeing a passenger's waypoint.
- Being able to set your car to not be accessible to others*
- Being able to highlight a specific player*

*Some random player tried to jack my car while I was sitting around doing nothing. He couldn't get in, so he shot and killed me. I respawned, highlighted him, and ran off to get my car which was still hopefully going to be where I died and not wrecked by him. I get to the area and there are a bunch of cop cars and dead cops around my car, so he killed the cops who showed up when he killed me. I get in my car, see his blip is a couple blocks away... and I run him down. As he's on the ground stunned, I get out and blast him. Same thing happened a little while later. In this case, I had to hunt the guy down for a bit as he was in a car. I see him pull into dead end parking lot, turn the corner at full speed and he's out of his car with the phone out. Yeah, I think he was taking a selfie as I mashed him into the wall at full speed. That's his blood on the hood.

Then later FDT and I went sightseeing by air and shopping!

Unread 2013-10-03, 9:07   #48
JangoFett
Mecha+ Member

Nov 1 2004
3,467 posts
Age 40
Male

I'm still stuck in the tutorial race limbo...

The cloud save servers were down for a bit, so I disabled saving and go dropped into a game under a temporary account.

I made the trip to Ammunation and picked up a shotgun. As soon as I stepped outside, I saw a guy driving and he tried to run over me. He found out the hard way, shotgun beats car.
Unread 2013-10-03, 9:11   #49
ash#

Nov 1 2004
10,029 posts
Age 47
Male

I tried to get on last night too but it was hanging at the first tutorial.
Unread 2013-10-03, 9:21   #50
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
33,362 posts
Age 50
Male
On the trails

Once it opens up after the tutorial, things seem much better, so I wonder if it's a bottleneck at the opening missions.

Shotgun beats car
Unread 2013-10-03, 9:23   #51
ash#

Nov 1 2004
10,029 posts
Age 47
Male

tank beats ghost....

tank beats wraith...

tank beats evertything
Unread 2013-10-03, 9:44   #52
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
33,362 posts
Age 50
Male
On the trails

Most memorable Halo 3 dialogue.
Unread 2013-10-03, 9:54   #53
ash#

Nov 1 2004
10,029 posts
Age 47
Male

that and "GODDAMMIT I HATE THIS CORTANA LEVEL"

oh wait that was me when we did it on legendary.
Unread 2013-10-03, 10:13   #54
FulanoDeTal
Mecha+ Member

Jul 25 2006
5,605 posts
Age 41
Male
Indianapolis, IN

Cool pictures, Repo! I can see how it will be fun to run around as a crew. For me as a single player the races and missions are fun, but when you're working together I think it will add more. After Repo and I disconnected, I took a trip to the tattoo parlor and saw something interesting. There are lots of things that are locked, like weapons, clothing options, tattoos, until you do certain missions or reach a certain level. Right now I'm at 5 or 6, but one of the tattoos was only available after level 51! That makes me think that Rockstar wants us to stick around for a long time building our stats. I wonder how long I'll stick around. Obviously I have lots of the single player story left to go so I'll be working on that but maybe when I'm done, I'll want to stay in Los Santos.
Unread 2013-10-03, 10:51   #55
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
33,362 posts
Age 50
Male
On the trails

I'm looking forward to doing stupid stuff, like getting a bunch of people doing stunt jumps (picture a group of cars hitting that ramp at the airport) or doing bike races (I noticed one of the multiplayer races is on bikes, can't remember where, though.) I see there's a "created by" in the multiplayer event description, so I wonder if we'll be able to create our own events. Like a mountain bike race down Mt. Chiliad? That's the kind of stupid stuff that keeps me entertained for hours (as seen last night) and playing the online component long after singleplayer is finished (though we'll surely have some really long DLCs later, like the last game).
Unread 2013-10-03, 14:37   #56
JangoFett
Mecha+ Member

Nov 1 2004
3,467 posts
Age 40
Male

I remember in the announcement there were some Halo Forge type things going on that let you create races.
Unread 2013-10-03, 14:51   #57
FulanoDeTal
Mecha+ Member

Jul 25 2006
5,605 posts
Age 41
Male
Indianapolis, IN

I think I've heard of that too. I think that at the end of the mountain bike race, there should be a jump where you ditch the bike and pull out the parachute then have to go through checkpoints in the air! Channeling my inner Dom-INATOR
Unread 2013-10-03, 15:09   #58
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
33,362 posts
Age 50
Male
On the trails

Great idea! And those that don't know to expect a parachute at the end wind up like the guys in the GIF posted here recently.
Unread 2013-10-03, 15:51   #59
AsMuch

Dec 2 2005
6,091 posts
Age 40
Male
Massachusetts

Hey, I think I changed the MechaCrew emblem. Feel free to wear it on your shirts now.
Unread 2013-10-04, 8:26   #60
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
33,362 posts
Age 50
Male
On the trails

Cool... looks like the change took on the site. Didn't get a chance to see it in-game yet though. Now to level up and get $25K to slap that sucker on the hood of my car.
Go Back   Mechapixel Forums > Entertainment Warehouse > Gaming > Grand Theft Auto V
Post New Thread Reply