HomeContestsQueueShowcaseArcadeForumsMembersAboutContact
Unread 2012-12-26, 10:15   #1
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
33,329 posts
Age 50
Male
On the trails

Downloaded this over the holiday to check it out since it's free and was pretty blown away by the scale. It's a bit daunting at first and expect to die repeatedly, but it's definitely worth checking out if the idea of a shooter in a massive (and I mean massive) open world with hundreds of players at once sounds like fun and you have the hardware to run it. The video in the review below gives a good idea of what to expect.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/12/...tside-2-review

And it's free to play! They make their money on transactions like buying better guns, but it's still pretty fairly balanced so those who shell out bucks for better weapons don't get an unfair advantage. If you don't pay you get better stuff by spending credits you get through experience points.
Unread 2012-12-26, 10:46   #2
FulanoDeTal
Mecha+ Member

Jul 25 2006
5,601 posts
Age 41
Male
Indianapolis, IN

cool... I was looking for a MMO to get into. I played Counterstrike in college and had fun but haven't done anything like it since.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Unread 2012-12-26, 11:10   #3
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
33,329 posts
Age 50
Male
On the trails

If you check it out, I have a couple suggestions:

If you seem to be getting killed over and over, try playing a support class like a medic or engineer. You'll still get killed, but if you're concentrating more on support (fixing stuff, or healing and reviving teammates) you at least get experience and a sense that you're doing more than being a target for the enemy. Plus you'll get some experience points to put into upgrading your health and armor.

If you find yourself nowhere near any action, look for "Sunderer" or "Player Spawn" when you're in the deploy map. Sunderers are vehicles that your team will drive near an enemy base to provide a spawn point. Player spawns are setup by squad leaders (I think). You can also deploy to the site of a battle if "deploy" shows on the map, but that's on a timer so you can't just do it over and over every time you die. Sometimes you may just have to spawn a Flash ATV to drive some distance.

I'm on the Waterson East Coast server, RepoMan2112.
Unread 2013-01-17, 0:55   #4
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
33,329 posts
Age 50
Male
On the trails

This is what happens when a well-organized team comes to take one of your bases.

It was impressive to watch.
Unread 2013-01-17, 11:32   #5
FulanoDeTal
Mecha+ Member

Jul 25 2006
5,601 posts
Age 41
Male
Indianapolis, IN

I installed and played for two seconds around christmastime but i didn't have enough time to get into it. I haven't learned enough to understand what was going on (just like you said) and now since I just got an Xbox, I haven't touched it yet. I'm still interested though, I heard some good things on reddit too. I'll let you know when I'm going to give it another try.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-01-17, 11:48   #6
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
33,329 posts
Age 50
Male
On the trails

I have to say it takes a lot of time to figure out what to do and you will die lots lots more than you kill probably. My kill/death ratio is pathetic, but my feeling is if you aim more for contributing rather than trying to kill more than you die, it can be rewarding. Sometimes you get to witness stuff like the video above, sometimes you get to be in a huge attack on a base (or defend against one)... even if you play as a medic where you spend most of your time healing (or reviving) teammates, it's the contribution to the effort, not so much how many people you manage to kill. I think that's why I keep coming back despite the frustrating moments.

I still play outside a squad... maybe it's even better when you auto-join a good squad. I'm assuming that video with all the aircraft was the result of a well-led squad or group of squads. They were highly organized and devastatingly effective.
Go Back   Mechapixel Forums > Entertainment Warehouse > Gaming > Planetside 2
Post New Thread Reply