Post New Thread Reply
Unread 2010-09-19, 9:24   #1
aarkieboy

Feb 5 2003
83,382 posts
Age 63
Male
Somewhere on this ball we call "Earth"

"Fresh off her victory in Delaware, GOP U.S. Senate candidate Christine O'Donnell is riding a wave of campaign cash but also internet infamy, thanks in part to her controversial statements -- most notably on masturbation -- in the late 1990s on Bill Maher's "Politically Incorrect."

On Friday, Maher released on his new HBO show, "Real Time," an unaired clip of O'Donnell admitting to a brief dalliance with witchcraft.

"I dabbled into witchcraft -- I never joined a coven. But I did, I did. I dabbled into witchcraft. I hung around people who were doing these things. I'm not making this stuff up. I know what they told me they do," she said.

"One of my first dates with a witch was on a satanic altar, and I didn't know it. I mean, there's little blood there and stuff like that," she said. "We went to a movie and then had a midnight picnic on a satanic altar." (More)
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Unread 2010-09-19, 12:37   #2
texasaurus

Mar 31 2003
2,436 posts
Male
Fort Worth, Texas

Awesome. The Wiccans have been under represented in Congress for years. I don't see how this can hurt.
Unread 2010-09-20, 8:50   #3
ash#

Nov 1 2004
9,793 posts
Age 46
Male
One of those indoor shopping malls

She does look like a complete idiot in that video. But she was also like 17 or 18. I think everyone is a complete idiot at that age so I would not disqualify her for this.
Unread 2010-09-20, 12:50   #4
Domestic Goddess

Jan 19 2007
2,023 posts
Age 46
City of Brotherly Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash# View Post
She does look like a complete idiot in that video. But she was also like 17 or 18. I think everyone is a complete idiot at that age so I would not disqualify her for this.
Yes, but have you seen recent interviews? If you can find the vid for last weeks debate in Delaware (Wilmington, in a synagogue of all places) please watch it. She's a freaking idiot. I hate to say it, but some of the stuff she says smacks of Palin. Her opponents at the debate were well spoken and sounded professional. She sounded like an 18yo at a party of adults trying to fit in. I know vocab ain't everything but she should use a thesaurus, too, so she isn't saying, "Really really" and "very very" so much. Also? this quote: 'America is the safest place in the United States." That about sums it up for me.
Unread 2010-09-20, 12:54   #5
ash#

Nov 1 2004
9,793 posts
Age 46
Male

... I didn't say that there weren't a bunch of other things that do in fact, disqualify her in my opinion. But I was trying to avoid politically inflammatory remarks.

oh and @ "America is the safest place in the United States"

I had not heard that quote. That is pretty unfortunate.

Edit: On a more personal note with regards to the Delaware race, i have met and interacted with Mike Castle on many occasions back when I worked on the Hill and I would have absolutely voted for him if I lived in Delaware. He is a unassuming, nice guy with very reasonable, moderate views. And he treated his staff and other staffers like they were humans. He is what we need more of in Washington. Unfortunately, the moderate candidates on both sides of the center seem to be getting liquidated up by the more extreme wings of both parties. And that is not a good thing.
Unread 2010-09-20, 13:00   #6
Chuck

May 6 2003
16,429 posts
Age 62
Male
The real America not that part where you live.

Shame that those of us with moderate views are spat upon by both sides.
Unread 2010-09-20, 14:22   #7
texasaurus

Mar 31 2003
2,436 posts
Male
Fort Worth, Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domestic Goddess View Post
Yes, but have you seen recent interviews? If you can find the vid for last weeks debate in Delaware (Wilmington, in a synagogue of all places) please watch it. She's a freaking idiot. I hate to say it, but some of the stuff she says smacks of Palin. Her opponents at the debate were well spoken and sounded professional. She sounded like an 18yo at a party of adults trying to fit in. I know vocab ain't everything but she should use a thesaurus, too, so she isn't saying, "Really really" and "very very" so much. Also? this quote: 'America is the safest place in the United States." That about sums it up for me.
I'm defending the crazies.

I think you miss what her appeal is to her constituency. It is for those very reasons, (that she agrees with Palin/TeaParty, she DOESN'T sound like a professional politician, that she doesn't represent the establishment) that she has had such a degree of success. There are plenty of folks on both sides that are sick and tired (for different reasons) of the same old same old they've been getting out of Washington.

If occasionally sounding like an idiot, or making errors on your taxes, or misspeaking, or using coke, or accidentally shooting someone in the face, or making the occasional deal with the devil were really disqualifiers to voters, there would be a much different group of folks on the hill than have been there for what seems like my entire life.

You may see them trying to push a nut into office, but they probably see you defending the nuthouse.

/2c

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by texasaurus; 2010-09-20 at 15:54. Reason: added bazooka joe
Unread 2010-09-20, 14:25   #8
texasaurus

Mar 31 2003
2,436 posts
Male
Fort Worth, Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
Shame that those of us with moderate views are spat upon by both sides.
Anyone ever spits on you Chuck or anyone else around here, and I'll take care of it. just need a name and a recent photo. wink&nod
Unread 2010-09-20, 15:33   #9
ash#

Nov 1 2004
9,793 posts
Age 46
Male

Tex,
I take your point and heck, I mostly agree with the sentiment that the establishment politicians can all take a long walk on a short pier. But I would hope that people would be a little more nuanced in how they look at the people that are running in a specific race. Castle was one of the good guys. In short, yes I absolutely think they would say I am defending the nuthouse, but sometimes painting everyone in an institution with such a broad brush misses the point too.

Last edited by ash#; 2010-09-21 at 7:54.
Unread 2010-09-20, 20:46   #10
b0rg9
Mecha+ Member

Jan 6 2004
9,696 posts
Age 54
Male
clearwater, FL

ash#, I have to agree.

I'd love to say, like Chuck has, that both sides have thrown us a bunch of loons to vote for. Sure, both sides have thrown a bunch of loons, but right now it's the R's that have embraced their loons and not marginalized them.
Unread 2010-09-21, 7:46   #11
ash#

Nov 1 2004
9,793 posts
Age 46
Male

I absolutely agree that there are loons on both sides. I would tend to agree with you that this time around the republicans seem to have embraced the loons more than the dems have. That point is arguable though.

I am sure the pendulum will swing back. The republicans will win the House and maybe the Senate. Then they will way overreach with what they perceive to be a mandate from the people. Same thing you could say that the dems did after then won the congress back and Obama won. Same thing that happened in the 90s. Republicans got in, tried to abolish the department of education and energy. Then they shut down the government. And they got stung for it. I just think the pendulum swings seem to be speeding up.

Oh and I moved this to the politics forum, because some folks prolly don't wanna read these kinds of posts in the Corner. And who could blame them. I just bored myself to sleep.
Unread 2010-09-21, 10:44   #12
Chuck

May 6 2003
16,429 posts
Age 62
Male
The real America not that part where you live.

Good move Ash, literally I guess.
Unread 2010-09-21, 20:09   #13
Domestic Goddess

Jan 19 2007
2,023 posts
Age 46
City of Brotherly Love

I spit on myself because I'm a moderate. It's really difficult to do and takes some real talent. I'm thinking of trying out for America's Got Talent. Mostly so I can see David Hasslehoff.

Also, also? I get tons of flack for not liking witchcraft girl because she's a woman and women should want women in office and blah, blah, blah. But, see, I'm thinking we could get a more intelligent sounding woman to represent (YO! REPRESENT!) so that the eejits aren't all, "OMG! WOMEN POLITICIANS ARE SOOOOO LAME! We have enough trouble earning respect, dammit. RESPECT, just a little bit.

I'll agree that folks are tired of the same-ole-same-old in politics. I sure am.
Unread 2010-09-22, 7:32   #14
texasaurus

Mar 31 2003
2,436 posts
Male
Fort Worth, Texas

Ok. so we're all moderates. Agreed. And politicians are lame.

I watched her interview on the Hannity last night (ok honestly I was watching DWTS, but I DVR'd the replay and watched it this morning) and she answered most of the stuff about her personal trouble, and I totally agree she's not the most eloquent. She says she's not going to do any more national interviews (yeah right, we'll see how that goes) but she didn't come off to me as an idiot (at least not any more than the current nuts) and she does have a point about the lack of attention to the issues and the difference between her and her opponent, blah blah... at least for now- I'm sure between now and the Big Tuesday down the road Delawarians- delawarriors- delawarchild the people of the great state of Delaware will get plenty of informative tv ads to watch to help with them with all that.

It will be interesting to see how much money gets dumped into this one after the dust settles, who ever wins the cup.

Last edited by texasaurus; 2010-09-22 at 13:37.
Go Back   Mechapixel Forums > Discussion > Politics > Maher Airs Christine O'Donnell 'Witchcraft' Video
Post New Thread Reply