Unread 2010-08-07, 19:48   #1
Ved
Administrator

Feb 3 2003
4,678 posts
Age 41
Male
Dallas

This post and several that follow were split off from the Mechapixel Overhaul Updates thread on 8/23/2010. This was done in order to separate progress reports on the main site and the forums, since both areas will be undergoing quite different and quite extensive changes.

--------------------------------

First off tonight, I'm adding banners to the forums. The forums skin (colors, design) will change quite a bit down the road, but this should help add a quick personal touch back to them.

You can see all of the old banners here:
And bonus PWA Anniversary banners: http://mechapixel.com/img/murals/anniversary/

Last edited by Ved; 2010-08-23 at 12:29. Reason: .
Unread 2010-08-07, 19:51   #2
kokopelli
Administrator

Feb 4 2003
6,472 posts
Male
Stavromula Beta

Nice to see some of those again!:)
Unread 2010-08-07, 20:29   #3
Ved
Administrator

Feb 3 2003
4,678 posts
Age 41
Male
Dallas

Added a new style for PDA/Mobile/iPhone etc to the forums. You can change your style now in the bottom left of any page of the forums.

The new PDA style can be accessed here (don't click that unless you are on a mobile device). If you find yourself stuck in PDA style land, click here for the default style.
Unread 2010-08-07, 20:37   #4
kokopelli
Administrator

Feb 4 2003
6,472 posts
Male
Stavromula Beta

I was actually wondering if it would be possible for that, but figured it would be too much hassle. Definitely will be nice when I'm outside and have my iPod Touch with me.
Unread 2010-08-07, 20:59   #5
vibes

Aug 9 2006
118 posts
Age 39
London

erm, not to nitpick, but if you change to the mobile theme, it takes away the user cp "edit options", which means you're stuck in the mobile theme... : / but yay, updates!
Unread 2010-08-07, 21:29   #6
Ved
Administrator

Feb 3 2003
4,678 posts
Age 41
Male
Dallas

Yeah, the PDA theme has some bugs. I just downloaded it, didn't write it, so it might need so work. You can always change to the default theme by clicking here. (Edit: I added a link to the bottom of the page in the PDA theme, "Switch to Default Style/Template")

I just set the default theme to a Facebook clone; let me know what you guys think of it. Again we ARE going to customize the forums based on how the new main site looks (down the road a bit), but I'm looking for a more pleasant theme to use for now, as the default. Who knows, if you guys grow to like this theme we may keep it, but maybe with some slight aesthetic modifications so we aren't horribly ripping off Facebook.

Last edited by Ved; 2010-08-08 at 2:46. Reason: added link in PDA theme to return to default template
Unread 2010-08-07, 22:39   #7
Ved
Administrator

Feb 3 2003
4,678 posts
Age 41
Male
Dallas

Enabled the calendar feature. Birthdays are automatically displayed.
Unread 2010-08-07, 23:42   #8
Ved
Administrator

Feb 3 2003
4,678 posts
Age 41
Male
Dallas

Added the old post icons, which you can use for new threads or posts (but I might disable the display of icons on posts because that is weird).

Also edited the last thread bumped in each forum to add an icon, so you can see how it looks on the main page index. Feel free to edit threads you have created to add an icon, although you certainly don't have to.
Unread 2010-08-08, 1:16   #9
Ved
Administrator

Feb 3 2003
4,678 posts
Age 41
Male
Dallas

Set the ChatBox to auto-prune messages older than 2 weeks. It was just taking up a ton of unnecessary room in the database (56000 messages over the past year). Just be sure to screenshot something that you want to use as evidence in the future because after two weeks it will be gone. Also I'm going to rename Chatbox to Shoutbox.

Man this is the most I've worked on the site in like 2 years, feels good to get back into it.

Last edited by Ved; 2010-08-08 at 2:47. Reason: feels good man
Unread 2010-08-08, 9:43   #10
kokopelli
Administrator

Feb 4 2003
6,472 posts
Male
Stavromula Beta

Unread 2010-08-08, 14:24   #11
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
32,755 posts
Age 49
Male
On the trails

Sweet!
Unread 2010-08-08, 21:34   #12
b0rg9
Mecha+ Member

Jan 6 2004
9,785 posts
Age 54
Male
clearwater, FL

OK, I'm lovin' the upgrades. Koko mentioned offering suggestions here.

So, can the text in the threads be bumped up on point or so? It's relatively small and, while not being too smalll for some purposes, tends to feel impersonal for a site like this and is more suited to a technical site or such.
Unread 2010-08-08, 22:52   #13
aarkieboy

Feb 5 2003
84,775 posts
Age 63
Male
Somewhere on this ball we call "Earth"

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0rg9 View Post
So, can the text in the threads be bumped up on point or so? It's relatively small and, while not being too smalll for some purposes, tends to feel impersonal for a site like this and is more suited to a technical site or such.
Not only that, my eyes just ain't what they used to be.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Unread 2010-08-09, 0:23   #14
Ved
Administrator

Feb 3 2003
4,678 posts
Age 41
Male
Dallas

Yeah, I noticed that too. For me it was fine in Firefox, but too small in IE. I change all 8pt font on the board to 9pt and some to 10pt; let me know what you think.

For me, now it's perfect in IE, so I don't need to ctrl+ it, and acceptable (not too big) in Firefox. If it's still on the small side for some of ya, I can change to px instead of pt and see if that helps. This will affect the rest of the site, of which I am using these forums as the backend, so I don't mind making sure it's just right.

Edit: actually I just made posts font 13px, and it looks the same in all browsers for me now.

Last edited by Ved; 2010-08-09 at 0:34. Reason: .
Unread 2010-08-09, 13:19   #15
Domestic Goddess

Jan 19 2007
2,023 posts
Age 46
City of Brotherly Love

Wow. Keep up the good work! Looking good! Oh banners, how I've missed the...
Unread 2010-08-10, 20:38   #16
Monkeyknife

May 7 2003
1,709 posts
Age 57
Male
Isle of Lucy

Me likey.
Unread 2010-08-12, 9:01   #17
stacyrings

Nov 29 2004
1,201 posts
Age 51
Female
Dallas

Yay!
Unread 2010-08-13, 19:55   #18
Dinahmoehum

Nov 1 2004
6,162 posts
Age 61
I'm Oprah Rich!

I have some thoughts, and being a ruhtard it deals with how I use the message part of the site.

I liked having the new posts in the ajaxie box thingie, I had mine positioned above the shout box. I have links to aarkies that I use and really don't scroll down the page much, so I don't really see what is going on in the actual forums. That box had all the poop.

The forums dropped way off once the shout box came online. The effort Click the image to open in full size. put in on the puddin quizzes was greatly under appreciated. The MMC had little participation. Now days, the whole site kinda dies when people go home from work.

I'd like to see this become more of a social hub, the way it was headed, back, I don't know, lets pick 2007? I don't know how to get people to return, look at the wasteland that is facebook. Everyone is there, yet it is pretty much a vapid shithole and does not allow for much social interaction. I found out I hate most of the people I went to school with, that is about all it's good for.

Anyway, I'd like to see the old forums return, there was a lot of great info in there, but no one knew it was there. I don't know wtf happened, I won't go into the threads where trouble brews, I can't take it. I can't remember if I had entries in that contest or not, even though I suck, I still gave it a shot. People are not being inspired, neubs are not trying out image manipulation, and the people with real talent are not creating content. I guess we all know this.

Try to think back to 2004 and what a breath of fresh air this place was. Click the image to open in full size.
Unread 2010-08-14, 1:39   #19
Twiggy

Jul 9 2006
692 posts
Age 27

Speaking of things positioned above the shoutbox, just nitpicking but I really preferred the box to type your message in being above the conversation part of the shoutbox instead of to the left like it is now. Probably pretty low on the list of priorities but thought I'd mention it and see if anybody feels the same or if they've gotten rather used to the new design.

In response to Dinah, I think most of us are in the mood to help out in making it a more social place again. At least I know I am. Ved can't rebuild our community by himself, we all should take more part in the site for it to work like it used to. I know this definitely includes me as lately I've not been on Mechapixel much but this revival effort is definitely rejuvenating my enthusiasm in the site, making it fun and enjoyable for me again. And I'm also not naive to the fact that people have been trying to do their part in keeping the community together all along. Very much appreciated. I've also been dying for a good photoshop contest! I tried entering in worth1k but it's not the same. I found myself doing an entry for worth1k and wanting to share it with those of you at Mecha more than over there hehe.

This message may not make complete sense in my tiredness and inability to really get my thoughts out in writing. But I spent a lot of time editing my message trying not to make it sound like a chore. I find it always does when we talk about more participation in the site, but it's really not a chore! It's damn fun! And that's why we're all here and continue to be here every day still.

You stay classy Mechapixel.

To many more Puddin' Fridays.
Unread 2010-08-14, 10:35   #20
davet

Jan 6 2004
1,933 posts
Male
Toronto, Canada

It's great to see the banners, and to hear that the site is returning to life.

As I've said before: even if mechapixel had never returned, I would have thought that I had come out ahead on the deal - I've learned a boatload of photoshop skills, and I've (electronically) met all sorts of interesting people. It'll be even more of a win if more cool stuff starts to happen again.

Thanks, Ved, for all your hard work in both the past and the present.

This post needs more random smilies, so here they are:

And, of course,

Last edited by davet; 2010-08-21 at 6:34.
Unread 2010-08-14, 17:01   #21
Dinahmoehum

Nov 1 2004
6,162 posts
Age 61
I'm Oprah Rich!

Oh, I'd like to see the radio back too! Click the image to open in full size.

I have no life!
Unread 2010-08-15, 5:44   #22
Ved
Administrator

Feb 3 2003
4,678 posts
Age 41
Male
Dallas

Welcome back, old school MP'ers.

Oh yeah we did have 11,000 user accounts, but over half of them were spammers, sadly. I purged them all, so we're down to a modest 4,000 actual people. Hopefully many of those will find their way back to the site some day.

This user account restore project appears minor on the outside, but trust me, it was probably the biggest hurdle in getting *everything* back online.
Unread 2010-08-15, 8:29   #23
aarkieboy

Feb 5 2003
84,775 posts
Age 63
Male
Somewhere on this ball we call "Earth"

WAY TO GO, VED!

Unread 2010-08-15, 8:42   #24
kokopelli
Administrator

Feb 4 2003
6,472 posts
Male
Stavromula Beta

Unread 2010-08-15, 14:13   #25
Dinahmoehum

Nov 1 2004
6,162 posts
Age 61
I'm Oprah Rich!

Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.

Is my avatar showing up for anyone? I can see it in the control panel, but not in the forums?

Last edited by Dinahmoehum; 2010-08-15 at 15:30.
Unread 2010-08-15, 15:33   #26
texasaurus

Mar 31 2003
2,436 posts
Male
Fort Worth, Texas

Click the image to open in full size.
Unread 2010-08-15, 16:51   #27
kokopelli
Administrator

Feb 4 2003
6,472 posts
Male
Stavromula Beta

Tex wins.

Dinah - Make sure you go to the avatar setting, not just the pic one. See if that helps?

edit: Think when I uploaded I got an error message, but it worked, so just thought I'd mention that.

edit edit: Is "Piece" intentional?

Last edited by kokopelli; 2010-08-15 at 17:46. Reason: Added stuff. Then more stuff.
Unread 2010-08-15, 18:14   #28
Dinahmoehum

Nov 1 2004
6,162 posts
Age 61
I'm Oprah Rich!

Otay that worked.
Unread 2010-08-21, 3:02   #29
Ved
Administrator

Feb 3 2003
4,678 posts
Age 41
Male
Dallas

Couple of major forum changes:

The Latest Posts box now excludes Aarkie's Corner. I love reading Aarkie's threads, but the box is fairly small and they were kind of pushing out other threads. Basically I would like other subforums to get some more attention, and this is how we had it on the old forum anyway (but also because back then Aarkie's Corner was SFW and NSFW mixed together). If this is a poor idea please let me know, but I would assume those who want to read funny/weird news bits will go to that forum, or check out the New Posts link. Again, I am a huge fan of the things Aarkie shares with us and I hope this doesn't deter his funneling us funny stories, but also I'd like to let some other threads get some of the spotlight.

And now the compromise: there is a good chance I will add TWO boxes to the new MP homepage that I'm working on; one for Aarkie's Corner threads, and one for all other threads (like the Latest Posts box is now). They will be small yet a great addition to give people a glimpse of what we have going on in the forums.

The other change is I added back smilie categories, and I wasn't quite sure which ones were new and which were old, so basically I threw all the possible new ones into a category called "New 2010". Some of them might be named differently from what you've become used to, such as :bacon : = . They will soon be moved out of the "New 2010" category into something more appropriate.

Anyway, please let me know if the shortcut for any of the new smilies should be renamed. To test them, hit Reply and click [More] under the smilies on the right.
Unread 2010-08-21, 5:20   #30
Gear Jammer

Jan 14 2004
5,555 posts
Male
Visiting my brain at the funny farm.

I forgot just how many smileys we used to have round here. Good to have them all back again.
Go Back   Mechapixel Forums > Site Discussion > Announcements > Mechapixel Forum Additions
Post New Thread Reply