Unread 2010-11-16, 20:28   #1
Ved
Administrator

Feb 3 2003
4,678 posts
Age 40
Male
Dallas

I've been talking to a lot of people about ways to get more traffic into Mechapixel lately, and the best piece of advice I got as far as growing our audience was finding and exploring a stronger, more popular niche (and sticking with it for a long time). I've known that having a strong niche was an important part of a healthy, growing community for years, but I haven't figured out how to go about it. I want to stay with photoshops/photography contests of course, I mean that's our bread and butter, but become a bit more specialized.

I am starting to think entertainment/celebrity/news related contests might be the way to go. It's something to get people in here every day, and something a large majority of people can relate to. Manipulated images of a robot or a random animal don't always appeal to everyone; photoshops of something or someone in the news usually does on some level. Any thoughts on focusing graffiti contests more on current events, accompanied with news blurbs from AP or something?

I really like what Freakingnews does, I've just never been able to stomach their eyesore of a website. I think there is room in that niche, because we all like to see images we're familiar with, and photoshopping shit in the news or entertainment (movie posters, politicians) is fun. Mechapixel went though a phase with mind-expanding themes and technically stunning works of art back in 2004-2006, and that was wonderful, but I don't know if those days will ever return, or if they need to. Our current photoshops are still well done but in a different way; we're basically tied down to Graffiti mode right now. I am perfectly fine with that because they're easy, quick and fun, but I'm just looking for the best options at this point, as far as types of contests.

One major downside to pure entertainment/news contests would be if they are set up a week or two in advance, the news would be a bit stale by the time they go live. Yeah, it's a big downside. The upside is if we did this and grew our active audience by even double, we could go back to a graffiti contest every day (or every weekday anyway, not Saturday/Sunday) and only have contests set up 1 week in advance.

The other option is video and I don't even know where to begin there, plus we don't have the storage/bandwidth to store media such as that.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Unread 2010-11-16, 20:52   #2
kokopelli
Administrator

Feb 4 2003
6,431 posts
Male
Stavromula Beta

I totally agree about celebrity/news types of photoshops being more relevant in terms of getting attention. I love a good 'shop as much as anyone, but if you are looking for images to get e-mailed/forwarded/"Liked" on Facebook, etc., someone famous is going to have a much greater likelihood than the aforementioned tibetan monk.

I tried hyping the "Like" thing on Facebook, or using StumbleUpon or the like the other week. I think we should continue to push those ideas, and if we are using them in conjunction with more "popular" images, it might really help.

I know political threads have had their share of problems, and contests involving politicians could stir some emotions, but I think they are less likely to turn into flamewars. Lord knows celebrities and pop culture give us lots to lampoon.

Heck, just looking at today's headlines...
http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/2010/11/17/BUSH.html
Unread 2010-11-16, 23:04   #3
Dinahmoehum

Nov 1 2004
5,905 posts
Age 59
I'm Oprah Rich!

I haven't a clue about anything in the news, I couldn't recognize a celebrity, or name a current movie. As for sports I am limited to the NL east. I looked at that freakingnews site and didn't see a thing I liked. It looked more like parody illustrations for a magazine article.

A website is only as strong as it's contributors, looking for new things or a niche, is only going to be as strong as the people willing to try it. To look at it honestly, there are a core group of people here, and new people are not joining in. I think our strength is the high intelligence and wit. I don't have a clue how to use that to an advantage. Every place I've ever worked, being smart was looked down upon.
Unread 2010-11-16, 23:04   #4
b0rg9
Mecha+ Member

Jan 6 2004
8,963 posts
Age 52
Male
clearwater, FL

Yeah if you're gonna go that route than politics will be part of the current events. Need to grab a handle on that going in. Get ready to take a stand -- even if that stand is neutral.
Unread 2010-11-17, 8:11   #5
JangoFett
Mecha+ Member

Nov 1 2004
3,467 posts
Age 38
Male
Long, long ago in a galaxy far, far away

How about a weekly photoshop of the week's movie releases? The posters would be available months in advance, and you could have themes like Art Deco, 50's Sci-Fi, Foreign, or vector art. Maybe even mashup all movies for that week into one poster.

You could do a Friday movie release contest , plus a Tuesday DVD release contest.
Unread 2010-11-17, 9:55   #6
Chuck

May 6 2003
15,315 posts
Age 61
Male
The real America not that part where you live.

Only problem with that is some weeks could be pretty limited on what is released, I kind of like recent as in past few weeks or maybe even months. As long as the buzz is still out there and it is considered somewhat current.
Unread 2010-11-17, 10:50   #7
Ved
Administrator

Feb 3 2003
4,678 posts
Age 40
Male
Dallas

Thanks for the input guys, keep it coming! Even if the goal is to make contests more broad and get more attention, this affects you guys first and foremost. So make your voice heard, even if that voice says "I don't care either way."

For example, I'd like to know what Alligator thinks since he is one of our most active photoshoppers these days, and over the past few months, practically the only person who submits pictures for contests.

The movie poster idea in addition to current contests isn't bad at all - something worth considering. We don't have any contests going live on Tuesday or Thursday currently; perhaps we could have movie or entertainment contests on those days, with time to prep if you have M+ and stuff. I don't know if it would have the impact as going with news/entertainment as a majority of the contests, but I do like the idea of photoshopping posters of upcoming movies. That's pretty unique!

As far as politics, yeah I'm not worried; contests and comments within are easier to mod than forum posts, in my experience.
Unread 2010-11-17, 19:29   #8
Alligator

Mar 16 2006
300 posts
Male

Since this forum is visible to the general public, I would prefer sharing my comments privately within the Mechapixel community for reasons that would be obvious once you are able to read them. I'm not sure how I can do that since private messaging appears to be limited to one recipient.
Unread 2010-11-18, 0:46   #9
Ved
Administrator

Feb 3 2003
4,678 posts
Age 40
Male
Dallas

Actually I have been needing to set up the Mecha+ forum, which would include most of the active regulars (who visit daily), and naturally be hidden from the public. At the very least there needs to be a place where I can discuss upcoming contests that are hidden to those without M+.

I have set it up the new forum and it can be found in the Site Discussion area.
Go Back   Mechapixel Forums > Site Discussion > Announcements > Potential new direction for Mechapixel contests
Post New Thread Reply