Ved
Administrator

Feb 3 2003
4,678 posts
Age 40
Male
Dallas

Hey guys,

Hope you're having a nice week and are looking forward to the holidays.

First order of business:

I'm not planning on renewing the Mechapixel.NET domain next month. The cost isn't that high, but it still doesn't fit in my personal nor the site's budget. That domain is not being used either, so in my opinion it's not worth it. It will probably get snagged by a squatter shortly after falling out of my ownership.

I've held on to .NET for years (and even used it when we had "Stash" from 2004-2007) but the site has been somewhat stagnant for years now. I'm going to renew .COM of course, if nothing else just to keep the forums going.

I also apologize for the false state of the FAQ and Mecha+ section, specifically the part where it says you get to see upcoming contests (because there are none right now, you see). I appreciate you guys who still chip in to help me pay for running this thing, despite the lack of contests and new arcade games currently.

Second order of business:

It has been over a year since the overhaul so I decided to evaluate things again. I'm fully aware if I changed the site up with fresh, good ideas, maybe I can turn it around. But I am clueless about what exactly would turn it around, as I have been for years. There have been many good suggestions, including video editing contests, but the fact remains the site is all about user-submitted content. When the community doesn't participate, then nothing happens, and things end up as they are now: no new content and a homepage etched in stone.

Over a year ago I spent a couple months bringing Mecha back online and redesigning much of it, and that went well for a while, then interest again fell away and this summer contests died completely. If one thing has become clear, it's this: If we want to do any kind of funny pictures contests or just exhibitions, it can't be in its current form, or not without a huge external drive to get a bigger audience. I honestly, truly do not expect the same 2-4 people to drive every photoshop contest, which is what ended up happening earlier this year. Ideally it would be 15-20 random people hopping in on contests that look fun or that they have time for, but that requires a whole lot of people visiting the site regularly.

Despite my lack of daily action over much of the past few years, I still long to bring MP back to its prime 6-7 years ago. Spending serious time trying to do so may be stupid, it may be a lost cause, it may be a waste of energy. But I really miss photoshop contests, I can't help it. So I will figure out what to do and then act on it, whether that means turning the site around, or throwing up a white flag and making the forum index the homepage.

As always if you have ideas (even if it's "give up Ved and kill the site except for a message board"), lets hear them.

Thanks and happy time.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Unread 2011-11-22, 13:57   #2
Ved
Administrator

Feb 3 2003
4,678 posts
Age 40
Male
Dallas

I am re-reading some suggestions made last year (in the new type of contest thread) and taking them heavily into consideration. Things such as expanding media types and doing things beyond photoshopping (as Davet mentioned, youtube didn't even exist in 2003) or even a weekly photoshop that corresponds with a movie release.

I realize I ask for suggestions every year but that doesn't mean I am not going back to re-read old ones!
Unread 2011-11-22, 14:18   #3
Dinahmoehum

Nov 1 2004
5,905 posts
Age 59
I'm Oprah Rich!

Well, I still think partnering with another site could be a tremendous benefit as we have the structure here. I blame facebook, I hate the place, yet people can't close that tab. We built sites for our occupy with wordpress and drupal, do they use it, fuckin no, they post on facebook. Goddamn it's irritating.

I want to participate, I don't do much of anything but still can't find the time to even make phone calls. I think it's just rough out there for a lot of people, don't have time to play as much.

I don't have any other ideas. I don't understand the appeal of facebook. I don't see why people go and argue on fark, or post u tube comments. I get pr0n though.
Unread 2011-11-23, 22:07   #4
davet

Jan 6 2004
1,933 posts
Male
Toronto, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinahmoehum View Post
I don't understand the appeal of facebook.
Facebook is perfect for introverted folks who want to simultaneously stay in touch with people they know and still hibernate and be reclusive and such like. Plus, I can put my photos up there - more people see them on Facebook than on Flickr.

(Went to look up my comment from last year, but realized that I am black, not Mecha+ blue, so I can't read it. Will probably embluinate myself again soon - I was out of work for a bit, but am back in the land of the employed (and am grateful to be there (I like nested parentheses (perhaps too much))).)
Unread 2011-11-25, 19:48   #5
Dinahmoehum

Nov 1 2004
5,905 posts
Age 59
I'm Oprah Rich!

I think every time I quit it's because I secretly wish for everyone to come back here. I'm probably going to have to turn it back on, but I really miss this place being the hot spot. Facebook sucks.
Unread 2011-11-28, 10:02   #6
khonshu

Jun 2 2005
1,289 posts
Age 42
Male
Dallas, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinahmoehum View Post
I think every time I quit it's because I secretly wish for everyone to come back here. I'm probably going to have to turn it back on, but I really miss this place being the hot spot. Facebook sucks.
I miss you guys, too. Sorry I left. My marriage/kids/barbershopping got in the way of the time it took me to photoshop an entry. The upside is that I'm getting a divorce, she's taking the kids, and I'm getting burned out on barbershop... um... wait ... what? Seriously, though, I miss the good old days of 6-7 years ago. And while I will have more time soon, I'm not going to be able to spend all day in the chat room like I used to. I'd be interested in Mecha+plus'ing again, but the divorce is putting a strain on my budget, quite honestly. I know, I know, TMI
Unread 2011-11-28, 10:15   #7
NocturnalGuy
Mecha+ Member

Oct 22 2003
4,757 posts
Age 45
Male
T.O.

Damn, dude. Nice to see you though!
Unread 2011-12-07, 1:54   #8
khonshu

Jun 2 2005
1,289 posts
Age 42
Male
Dallas, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ved View Post
Over a year ago I spent a couple months bringing Mecha back online and redesigning much of it, and that went well for a while, then interest again fell away and this summer contests died completely. If one thing has become clear, it's this: If we want to do any kind of funny pictures contests or just exhibitions, it can't be in its current form, or not without a huge external drive to get a bigger audience. I honestly, truly do not expect the same 2-4 people to drive every photoshop contest, which is what ended up happening earlier this year. Ideally it would be 15-20 random people hopping in on contests that look fun or that they have time for, but that requires a whole lot of people visiting the site regularly.
Let's all talk about what things would work in order to get a bigger audience

Quote:
Despite my lack of daily action over much of the past few years, I still long to bring MP back to its prime 6-7 years ago. Spending serious time trying to do so may be stupid, it may be a lost cause, it may be a waste of energy. But I really miss photoshop contests, I can't help it. So I will figure out what to do and then act on it, whether that means turning the site around, or throwing up a white flag and making the forum index the homepage.
I really miss photoshop contests, too. And I miss the Slagsmas'es and the Mechapokalypse's, and the faceoffs and everything.

Quote:
As always if you have ideas (even if it's "give up Ved and kill the site except for a message board"), lets hear them.
Everything seems to be driven by social media nowadays. Any way we could tie Facebook and Twitter into this place? Just a question. No idea how/why it would work.
Unread 2011-12-07, 22:16   #9
Dinahmoehum

Nov 1 2004
5,905 posts
Age 59
I'm Oprah Rich!

Quote:
Originally Posted by khonshu View Post
Everything seems to be driven by social media nowadays.
We were social media before they existed!
Go Back   Mechapixel Forums > Site Discussion > Announcements > Mechapixel in 2011: Clone brushing the months away
Post New Thread Reply