Unread 2017-05-10, 15:29   #62
NocturnalGuy
Mecha+ Member

Oct 22 2003
4,735 posts
Age 45
Male
T.O.

GODDAMMIT!!!! Today was the perfect window for a ride in an otherwise shitty couple of weeks, and my rear derailleur got eaten by my spokes as I was cranking up a hill. Totally sheared off, lost the chain. I can't quite figure out how it happened... maybe the chain broke, then pulled the derailleur into the spokes? In any case, it's going into the shop tomorrow for its first *paid* repair. Grrrrrrrrrr.
Unread 2017-05-11, 7:13   #63
ash#

Nov 1 2004
8,857 posts
Age 45
Male
One of those indoor shopping malls

That has happened to me. Best I could tell was some impact bent the derailleur hanger enough that when you went into granny gear, it was close enough to the spokes to snag. And once it snags there is no way to stop fast enough to stop it from doing serious violence. I have that half a derailleur hanging in my garage in the dead parts graveyard.
Unread 2017-05-11, 14:12   #64
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
28,981 posts
Age 48
Male
On the trails

on the imperceptibly bent cage or hanger that's just enough to throw it into the spokes.

Click the image to open in full size.DCP_2321 by Josh Delp, on Flickr

Click the image to open in full size.Derailed by Josh Delp, on Flickr

I've done it a couple times and each time it was a freaking XTR. That's one reason I never buy XTR anymore (unless it comes with the bike). XT is just fine thank you.
Unread 2017-05-11, 14:17   #65
ash#

Nov 1 2004
8,857 posts
Age 45
Male

Oh yea if/when I need a new derailleur there is a 0.0 percent chance that I will be getting an XX1 to replace the XX1 that came with the bike. And yea that is a sickening noise/feeling when it starts crunching up in your wheel.
Unread 2017-05-11, 14:43   #66
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
28,981 posts
Age 48
Male
On the trails

Ugh. You know there's nothing you can do as you're hearing it except try not to shred your spokes too.
Unread 2017-05-11, 16:52   #67
NocturnalGuy
Mecha+ Member

Oct 22 2003
4,735 posts
Age 45
Male
T.O.

Yeah, don't want to hear that again. Bike is fixed, picking up tomorrow morning, back on the trails in the afternoon!
Unread 2017-05-12, 7:57   #68
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
28,981 posts
Age 48
Male
On the trails

Nice! Did it wreck the hanger or was that OK?
Unread 2017-05-12, 8:05   #69
b0rg9
Mecha+ Member

Jan 6 2004
8,937 posts
Age 52
Male
clearwater, FL

Who knew trail riding was so difficult?

-Donald Mountainbiking Trump

Seriously, though, thanks for sharing these issues. I feel like such a wuss just being on the pavement all the time.
Unread 2017-05-12, 9:42   #70
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
28,981 posts
Age 48
Male
On the trails

Yeah, but we just have to deal with sticks and rocks... you have idiots hurtling at you in tons of steel.
Unread 2017-05-12, 9:56   #71
NocturnalGuy
Mecha+ Member

Oct 22 2003
4,735 posts
Age 45
Male
T.O.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RepoMan View Post
Nice! Did it wreck the hanger or was that OK?
Hanger was toast. The original derailleur was entry-level Deore, so I upgraded to Deore XT. Gonna go put it through the paces in a few minutes...
Unread 2017-05-12, 10:21   #72
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
28,981 posts
Age 48
Male
On the trails

Love the replaceable hangers!

Good choice on the XT, they're great derailleurs.
Unread 2017-05-30, 15:04   #73
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
28,981 posts
Age 48
Male
On the trails

Noc, did the pivot replacement cure the creaking? Mine is currently creaking but I'm wondering if it could be pedals that weren't greased enough when they were installed.

edit: Wasn't the pedals. It was the dirt in the pivot.

Click the image to open in full size.Creaky pivot solved. by Josh Delp, on Flickr

I knew I shouldn't have done it, but when it originally started creaking I dripped some dry lube in there to shut it up. Well, that lube attracted more dirt and it got worse from there as it built up. Cleaning it all out quieted it all down immediately.

Last edited by RepoMan; 2017-06-05 at 9:10.
Unread 2017-07-11, 10:30   #74
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
28,981 posts
Age 48
Male
On the trails

Habit/Bad Habit creaky pivot update:

Met a guy yesterday with a Bad Habit and the same complaint. I think it's kinda bullshit to have to pull the pivot apart and clean it every ride to keep it creak free. Mine starts creaking again after I wash the bike (I spray Muc-Off cleaning solution in there also in the hopes it helps break up any dirt). I have found that dripping water in there during a ride silences the creaks, but that's kinda bullshit too. I may discuss this with the bike shop and see if they have any ideas. I really don't want to have to pull the pivot axle after every ride to silence it but I also can't stand creaking.
Unread 2017-07-11, 12:44   #75
ash#

Nov 1 2004
8,857 posts
Age 45
Male

Yea I would not be too psyched to have to pull apart the pivot after every ride. That does not seem like a reasonable expectation on the part of Cannondale. Although maybe I would solve the problem by not washing the bike?
Unread 2017-07-11, 13:04   #76
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
28,981 posts
Age 48
Male
On the trails

Unread 2017-07-19, 14:49   #77
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
28,981 posts
Age 48
Male
On the trails

Killington was awesome this weekend.

Unread 2017-08-16, 9:04   #78
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
28,981 posts
Age 48
Male
On the trails

Another one from Killington.

Unread 2017-08-16, 9:58   #79
b0rg9
Mecha+ Member

Jan 6 2004
8,937 posts
Age 52
Male
clearwater, FL

That shit is fucking awesome.

I got vacation time to kill and this 90+ degree oppressive heat index heat has had me off my bike commute for almost two weeks now. I'm thinking of just throwing my cyclocross in the back of my Jeep Patriot and heading north to some trails that are friendly for it.

Don't know if it's worth a days long trip, but I always thought this would be a great trail to get some miles in.

http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state-pa...al_information

...apologies, not exactly MTB stuff
Unread 2017-08-16, 10:38   #80
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
28,981 posts
Age 48
Male
On the trails

That looks like it'd be a pretty cool ride!
Unread 2017-11-08, 20:01   #81
NocturnalGuy
Mecha+ Member

Oct 22 2003
4,735 posts
Age 45
Male
T.O.

So, got my first flat on the newish MTB this morning. I was carrying patches, an extra tube, levers, multi-tool and hand pump; so, all good, right? Not so much. This bike has tubeless-ready rims, which apparently hold onto the tire bead VERY TIGHTLY. I could not budge it. Eventually a dude stopped to help... he has similar rims and said you just have to really give 'er... after about 15 minutes of both of us trying, I thanked him, sent him on his way and started walking. Got my wife to pick me up once I got out of the woods.

So I hit YouTube... eventually found a couple of helpful vids. One guy's method is to lay the wheel down flat, stand on the tire and haul upwards on the spokes until the bead pops. So I did that, and it worked fine, although I could only get one side of the tire free. Good enough. Patched up the tube, then tried to get the tire back on... no chance. Broke a plastic lever trying. Ended up having to take it to a bike shop tonight. They guy there had a good technique and was able to roll it on fairly easily. Gave me some tips on doing that. The thing is though, it takes loads of pressure to get the tire properly re-seated... certainly more than I'd be able to get into it with a hand pump if I were doing the repair on the trail!

So now I'm thinking, why even bother bringing all the repair stuff on my rides? Goddamn new technology... changing tires used to be a no-brainer.
Unread 2017-11-08, 20:33   #82
b0rg9
Mecha+ Member

Jan 6 2004
8,937 posts
Age 52
Male
clearwater, FL

You could slime ‘em, I guess. Friend showed me a YouTube vid of tubeless and some slime stuff. Said that’s what he does on his MTB.
Unread 2017-11-09, 8:58   #83
ash#

Nov 1 2004
8,857 posts
Age 45
Male

Yeesh. That's a pain. I have snapped a tire lever or two and now I carry these super thick ones that would be pretty tough to break. Pedro's I think is the brand. You should run them tubeless. The Sealant they put in works on everything but a really big puncture. And you can still carry a tube for worst case.
Unread 2017-11-10, 11:20   #84
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
28,981 posts
Age 48
Male
On the trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by NocturnalGuy View Post
The thing is though, it takes loads of pressure to get the tire properly re-seated... certainly more than I'd be able to get into it with a hand pump if I were doing the repair on the trail!

So now I'm thinking, why even bother bringing all the repair stuff on my rides? Goddamn new technology... changing tires used to be a no-brainer.

A tube is definitely the emergency fix on the trail, you'll never get enough pressure to reseat it on the trail with a hand pump. Hell, it's often nearly impossible to do it with a floor pump. Now, I've never tried it, but I wonder if a C02 cartridge could do it... but I don't think it's worth it in the end. Throw a tube in it and reseat it for real at home if it's salvageable. If it has a hole that's not plugged by sealant, keep the tube in until you're done with the tire.

A couple things on that note:

If you don't have a compressor at home: https://www.topeak.com/global/en/pro...eblow--booster

If you do have a compressor: https://www.amazon.com/Prestaflator-...dp/B073654GMP/

Seating tubeless with a compressor + prestaflator made something I used to dread into a freaking breeze. There were times I'd have to do the strap around the tire thing while madly pumping with the floor pump to get it to seat and hold air. Now it's like fsssshPOP! Done in seconds.

A couple things on the really hard to seat tires. As you found, some are just ridiculously tight and require so much brute force its painful. Sometimes soapy water helps it slide better, but some tires are just brutal on the hands. My thought on that is to ditch that brand/model when it's worn out and try another until you find a combination of a great tire and not too hard to get on the rim. Your mileage may vary, but a search on what other people think about the tire should be a good indication of how it'll work out for you. If everyone says tire X is a beast to get on, it probably will be for you too.

Last edited by RepoMan; 2017-11-10 at 11:29.
Go Back   Mechapixel Forums > Discussion > Hobbies & Addictions > Mountain bike stuff
Post New Thread Reply