HomeContestsQueueShowcaseArcadeForumsMembersAboutContact
Unread 2009-12-27, 9:06   #1
Domestic Goddess

Jan 19 2007
2,023 posts
Age 46
City of Brotherly Love

Hey,
My boy cannot have flash when having his picture taken (seizures, all all that jazz). I turn the flash off but sometimes it is way underexposed or blurred because the dang shutter is open so long. I've been reading up on it, but so far I've come to the conclusion that my best bet will be to take his pic outside. Any other tips?
Unread 2009-12-27, 12:07   #2
Dinahmoehum

Nov 1 2004
6,104 posts
Age 60
I'm Oprah Rich!

Like film, you can change the iso, typically 100 = outside, 400 = inside. I'm sure that beast can go up to like 1200 iso. You will lose detail with the higher iso's, think film grain, but may be ok for printing, and surely internetz.

Another thing is stabilization, tripods and all. Anything under like 125 shutter speed for old people like me needs some stabilization, you spring chickens can probably get down to a 30th and be ok. I saw a trick for a near free "tripod" I think it was on lifehacker. It was simply a large flat washer tied to some strong string at one end, on the other end, was a 1/4 - 20 bolt. That is the thread on the bottom of the camera. You screw it in and stand on the washer and pull up, that taught line will help keep the camera still.

Remember you can crop! Don't feel like you have to zoom in close, that thing got some good glass on it, stand back and zoom out with the intent to crop later.

Also, if you have a remote shutter release, use it. pressing the shutter button will induce some camera shake at low shutter speeds.

http://www.instructables.com/id/String-Tripod/

Oh and awesome xmases present!

Last edited by Dinahmoehum; 2009-12-27 at 18:37.
Unread 2009-12-27, 23:57   #3
Twiggy

Jul 9 2006
692 posts
Age 27

I find usually high ISO settings help a lot.

Also, you can use a faster shutter speed, with a smaller f-stop (larger aperture). It'll produce a smaller depth of field, but you probably don't mind that.

Happy shooting :)
Unread 2009-12-28, 5:53   #4
Chuck

May 6 2003
15,975 posts
Age 62
Male
The real America not that part where you live.

A fast lens that works well in lower light is probably the best solution unfortunately not the cheapest route.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by Chuck; 2009-12-28 at 7:50. Reason: to add pic
Unread 2009-12-29, 11:00   #5
ash#

Nov 1 2004
9,524 posts
Age 46
Male
One of those indoor shopping malls

Good ideas, go with a higher iso for sure. Cameras are getting better and better about not having image noise at high isos. Also, you could get a prime lens like Chuck suggests. Typically I would recommend the 50mm 1.8, which you can get for around 150 bucks prolly. But now that I have a 50 1.4, i would probaby recommend a 35 mm 1.8.... you will fit more in the pic that with the 50.

Oh and @ Flash.
Unread 2009-12-29, 18:57   #6
Domestic Goddess

Jan 19 2007
2,023 posts
Age 46
City of Brotherly Love

I've been playing with the settings. High ISO, aperture, the pics kept coming out kinda yellow. After doing two hours of reading, I realized it is because the husband bought these cheapy yellow lights for the family room. Duh.

I'm thinking that getting a different lense is going to be the way to go. I can get some pretty decent ones during the day because of the natural light. But this kid ain't gonna sit long for slow shutter speeds. I've got my work cut out for me!

And, thanks for the FLASH, CHuck. ;)
Unread 2009-12-29, 21:05   #7
Spider

Nov 29 2004
46 posts
Row 48, Plot 12

I admire that you are trying to take great photos, but the problems you have mentioned here can be easily corrected with Photoshop. A digital camera records a lot of information and sometimes just needs tweaking.
Unread 2009-12-30, 12:20   #8
Chuck

May 6 2003
15,975 posts
Age 62
Male
The real America not that part where you live.

Remember the D3000 can't auto focus an older lens like the old 50mm 1.8 need newer lens with motor built in.
Unread 2009-12-30, 13:55   #9
NocturnalGuy
Mecha+ Member

Oct 22 2003
4,954 posts
Age 46
Male
T.O.

What Spider said, especially if you shoot in raw format.
Unread 2009-12-30, 15:10   #10
B L

Jun 11 2005
2,473 posts
Age 53
Male
a whale's vagina

Quote:
Originally Posted by NocturnalGuy View Post
...especially if you shoot in raw format.
Dude, she's taking pictures of her son. She needs to keep her clothes on for that.
Unread 2009-12-30, 15:46   #11
ash#

Nov 1 2004
9,524 posts
Age 46
Male
One of those indoor shopping malls

Yea when you are taking snaps of the kids, you don't want to have a mountain of post-processing to do before you can even print a picture. I like doing that shit on the artsy shots and what not... but not the everyday stuff. Shoot in jpeg, aperture priority with a fast lens and medium iso.
Go Back   Mechapixel Forums > Discussion > Hobbies & Addictions > Not using Flash
Post New Thread Reply