Gain exclusive benefits and help support Mechapixel with Mecha+
Learn more - Subscribe
HomeContestsQueueShowcaseArcadeForumsMembersAboutContact
Unread 2011-01-07, 16:12   #1
Twiggy

Jul 9 2006
692 posts
Age 27

So I've decided it's just not adequate to send potential clients to my messy, post-everything-I-make "Mechatwiggy" flickr account anymore and so I made this: www.steventwigg.com. I'd like to know what any of you think of it comments/suggestions/ideas/complaints anything. And I'd like get your opinions on whether or not I should add a blog-like page as well. I'm torn because on one hand, I think it makes it seem a little bit less like a professional portfolio website and more like a ... um... blog. haha. But on the other hand, it's probably a good way to keep people coming back to my website if they like my stuff. I really dunno. What do you guys think about that? Perhaps I could make a www.steventwigg.com/blog page and not have that shown in the navbar so it's a little bit separated from the rest of the site and they would likely only know about it if I specifically told them about it?

Anyway, I'd really appreciate any of your feedback because it's the first time I've ever designed a site I'm actually using haha.

Thanks,

Twiggy
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Unread 2011-01-07, 16:29   #2
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
31,302 posts
Age 49
Male
On the trails

Nice work!

How about instead of a blog, you post something new (illustration, photo) on a set schedule? Maybe with a blurb explaining the what/why/how of it?
Unread 2011-01-07, 16:38   #3
Dinahmoehum

Nov 1 2004
6,104 posts
Age 60
I'm Oprah Rich!

I think you should go with a real website rather than blog. You can have new stuff as well as an archive of older work. I also think you should kick flash in the nuts, you know, just because.

I can tell ya, most sites piss me off, especially blogs that hyperlink everything back to itself. I hate flickr with a passion. Our paper is a good one, the picture section is a kick to the nuts. No pic opens larger than thumbnail like 500px with a huge watermark on it. You can't open in new window so you can keep browsing and go back and look after the pic had loaded. Anyway, what I'm basically saying, is think of the user I guess.
Unread 2011-01-08, 11:15   #4
Twiggy

Jul 9 2006
692 posts
Age 27

Thanks Repo. Yeah I think that's probably a good alternative. It seems like it would accomplish essentially what I wanted the blog to do while not attaching that 'blog' stigma (is that the right word?) to my website. I also wouldn't have to deal with any stupid comments or having it say "0 responses" below half my images which would make it seem pretty lame haha.

Dinah yeah a real website is more of what I'm trying to make here. No flash?! But I wanted to have an unskippable, site-slowing, bandwidth-eating 15 minute flash intro with all sorts of gradients and transparencies and such! I'll keep in mind to think of the user. My portfolio images open up up to 1024px wide in the lightbox thing and can also be opened up in a new window or tab.
Unread 2011-01-08, 13:34   #5
Alligator

Mar 16 2006
300 posts
Male

Very nice. I also prefer going with the website version. I really like your portfolio application. I looked at your source code and see dragndropbuilder, but was unable to find out more as it appears it may be an offering by your website host. I wouldn't mind using it for my website, rather than the slideshow I currently have.

Last edited by Alligator; 2011-01-08 at 19:24.
Unread 2011-01-08, 21:09   #6
Domestic Goddess

Jan 19 2007
2,023 posts
Age 46
City of Brotherly Love

Yeah, blogs are SO LAST WEEK.

Anyways, it could be a photoblog of sorts, kinda like what Repo suggested. Just post somethign on a fairly regular schedule, you know?

Oh, and nice work!
Unread 2011-01-08, 22:04   #7
Twiggy

Jul 9 2006
692 posts
Age 27

Alligator: try modding this a little bit to suit your fancy.

Thanks DG.. it was mostly drag'ndrop with some tweaking in dreamweaver and I uploaded a significanly less ugly header image haha.
Unread 2011-01-08, 23:32   #8
Dinahmoehum

Nov 1 2004
6,104 posts
Age 60
I'm Oprah Rich!

Know what I love about gallery and other open source webware??? When it updates and wipes out all the stuff you modded! I freakin love that!

Lookin right at you OScommerce!
Go Back   Mechapixel Forums > Discussion > Hobbies & Addictions > website you say?
Post New Thread Reply