Go Back   Mechapixel Forums > Discussion > Hobbies & Addictions
Post New Thread Reply
Unread 2012-05-30, 10:36   #31
Dinahmoehum

Nov 1 2004
6,068 posts
Age 60
I'm Oprah Rich!

Well, I figure just post all in one place, here are pics I have not gotten to since we never get any rain. Well, we finally got rain and the fuckin power goes out. I don't have time to caption them, but did get them uploaded. The storm didn't seem like shit, but, it sure fucked up this block and my garden. The daytona show was lame, looking back there were some nice cars there. The moultrie show was also pretty subdued, economy? Don't know, people sure seem to be spending on cars, don't know if there is any profit or anyone buying them? Today, I'm trying to paint my helmet, something they don't want you to do. I can't see well enough to tape it off, getting old sucks. Anyway, few hundred pics, have fun!

http://www.ray.bt76.com/pages/Beryl_Really/index.html
http://www.ray.bt76.com/pages/Garden5.28/index.html
http://www.ray.bt76.com/pages/Dayton...-31/index.html
http://www.ray.bt76.com/pages/Moultr..._12/index.html
Unread 2012-05-30, 11:01   #32
b0rg9
Mecha+ Member

Jan 6 2004
9,325 posts
Age 53
Male
clearwater, FL

Damn man, I knew you were getting hit this weekend w/ that storm. Good call to just leave the sunflowers and see what happens. No harm, and if they're not broken too much they may still grow and mature, even bent up.

I love the Avanti pics. I'd see those around probably more often than average in Indpls. when I was in high school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinahmoehum View Post
I'm trying to paint my helmet,]
Is that what the kids are calling it these days?
Unread 2012-05-30, 11:09   #33
Chuck

May 6 2003
15,810 posts
Age 62
Male
The real America not that part where you live.

http://www.ray.bt76.com/pages/Garden.../IMG_3812.html

Do you deliver?
Unread 2012-05-30, 11:21   #34
Dinahmoehum

Nov 1 2004
6,068 posts
Age 60
I'm Oprah Rich!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
I'm getting pretty good with pizza, although I never seem to have enough peperoni to please everyone!

I researched the helmet further and they don't want you painting polycarbonate ones. So, I'm torn, good looking helmet or head?
Unread 2014-08-18, 11:41   #35
Dinahmoehum

Nov 1 2004
6,068 posts
Age 60
I'm Oprah Rich!

This thread is pretty depressing, I have not touched the folvo in over 2 years. I have too much stuff and clutter, but it's all good and I can't toss good stuff. I have been trying to sell stuff on craigslist for years and can't get buyers in this shithole of a town. It's beyond frustrating. I've had the bike for sale very reasonable for a once in a lifetime deal well over a month and not a single bite on it. It's all in the way of doing something else. I was going to write up a thing on automatic transmissions, never did. I built the one in the ranger last year, it has failed again, the only piece I didn't change of course, so I have that for sale too, not even a peep on it. I don't want to get under that piece of shit again and pull the trans out but it looks like I will have to.

This brings us to this weekend. Kid needs something to drive and I met a weird guy from chile when I had my volvo engine for sale. (that is still sitting here in the way) I've been meaning to get with him and see his stuff for over a year now to see if he had anything for us. This is the story if this weekend!

My friend said he'd drive us, he likes to go to these small towns and look around, anyway, we went Saturday, but he was in Tallahassee baby sitting, knew that, but we kicked around anyway. It's about 90 miles west of here right off of 75 near the Ga border. We were in 3 towns, jasper, jennings, and lake park. This is historic shit, towns lost in history when the big interstates came through. We of course have to wonder where people work, these towns didn't even have grocery stores. farming, mining and cardboard are the industries that keep these towns alive. There were so many abandoned structures it would be amazing to rummage through. I went back on sunday to meet with my friend.

http://imgur.com/a/WfzaT Jasper trip, this is what we found saturday

http://imgur.com/a/njeSs Ricardo's house build in the 1800's, just unbelievable inside. He spent 6 years refurbishing it, said when he saw it, it was sitting for 3 years and the door was open. Here it would have been burned to the ground by crack whores. The pics don't come close to what it's like inside.

http://imgur.com/a/roDrd his cars! I know this looks like a shit heap of junk, but there is a wealth of cars here. Kid was taking pics while we talked and he didn't get half of them. There were 3 or 4 mid 60's gto's, firebirds, the 1800, motors all over. I don't care for the 70 mustangs, but I would take one! He has a 57 ranchero that he wants to put a 429 drive train from a 68 tbird in and do that up. So there are a lot of 50's fords in there. Bunch of studebakers, lots of mustangs. I'm still overwhelmed by the whole thing. The kid wants the 68, the only nice mostly complete car there. It is one of the most rare mustangs, only because people didn't get the 302 4bbl when you could get the 390 4bbl for just a bit more. But it is a real gt car, he paid 4k for it. In running condition it's worth around 10k as it sits and around 30K restored. I have the expertise to help him with his projects and he has something I don't have to do much work on to get the kid driving. (and he be stylin) I normally would never go for high ticket high profile cars like that, but this could be karma kicking me in the nuts again saying hey you deserve this! BTW, the mustang only weights about 2600 lbs, and 300 hp motor and a clutch means lots of fun to drive!

I took my wife's car out there, 4 thousand pounds of grand marquis running at 75 the whole way on cruise control, got 20 mpg.
Unread 2014-08-18, 16:12   #36
kokopelli
Administrator

Feb 4 2003
6,443 posts
Male
Stavromula Beta

If the numbers work, I think you should go for it.
Unread 2014-08-18, 16:26   #37
Chuck

May 6 2003
15,810 posts
Age 62
Male
The real America not that part where you live.

Thanks for sharing, really enjoyed looking at those.
Unread 2014-08-18, 20:18   #38
Dinahmoehum

Nov 1 2004
6,068 posts
Age 60
I'm Oprah Rich!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
Thanks for sharing, really enjoyed looking at those.
No problem, I knew this may be an epic trip when we started. I just wish I had time to really take some shots of everything we saw. Like the river we passed over, bone dry, it was quite apocalyptic. There really is nothing to do over here in the city. There are a lot of these small towns that were the place before the interstates. The guy's house, besides the gmc motorhome he is restoring, there are 3 mercedes out back, he said he leaves the keys in them. I wish we could have found that mansion again, it was magnificent and also abandoned. My friend almost stopped to ask about the lawn jockeys at a garage sale we passed a few times. I had never been in that part of Fl. The lake town we hit, my god, beautiful lake, they whored it up with cheap houses almost touching each other all the way round. That little house he bought across the street for $22K we saw tons of them like that. Sure, they need work, but they are in very good shape 100 miles from the ocean no damaging salt spray. The warehouse is a few blocks from where he lives, I didn't ask what he paid for it. It looks like it was an old wood mill that made something. He's from chile, sold italian machines for working marble and granite. We just kinda clicked so this could be an interesting partnership! My friend said a guy he knows had his parents house up in Ga, they died like just post war, the house was closed up and sat till recently it was condemned. It was like a snapshot in time. Everything was exactly as it had been in the 40's or early 50's when they died, even dirty dishes in the sink. Guy didn't even want anything, he just had the house bulldozed. It does creep me out that these were all slave owners and fought on the wrong side of the war, and there was a church for every person it seemed. It was a really interesting weekend. It definitely woke me up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokopelli View Post
If the numbers work, I think you should go for it.
Going to try. If I can sell the bikes and the truck it won't hurt at all. But with the wife fired and denied unemployment, this is not a good time to spend. We will be fine in the long run, and I can't see the block holding up, she had a hearing today. Citi bank can eat a bag of ebola dicks. It's not the type of car I would normally be after, I go for common things that really don't matter. That thing is a piece of history and I will have to observe that and try not to bugger it all up! I've been sitting around the house barely existing, this may give me a reason to get out of bed every day.
Go Back   Mechapixel Forums > Discussion > Hobbies & Addictions > Any updates on the Dinahmobile?
Post New Thread Reply