Unread 2010-11-13, 19:42   #32
b0rg9
Mecha+ Member

Jan 6 2004
9,325 posts
Age 53
Male
clearwater, FL

koko, if you're boiling two chickens I wanna see pics.

Anyway, I like that recipe -- in half I hope it'd still work.
Unread 2010-11-13, 19:47   #33
kokopelli
Administrator

Feb 4 2003
6,443 posts
Male
Stavromula Beta

Yeah, even I'm having a hard time imagining me doing that.

Half would probably work fine. I think there are some other recipes on that site that use a lesser amount. Pretty good site.
Unread 2011-06-11, 11:07   #34
b0rg9
Mecha+ Member

Jan 6 2004
9,325 posts
Age 53
Male
clearwater, FL

I made these last night. It's a real simple appetizer that's great for summer grilling. All you need is some bacon, a chunk of pepper jack cheese and a jar of greek pepperoncini peppers.

You cut the tops off the pepperoncinis and pull out the seeds Then stuff them with pepper jack cheese (I did some with habanero cheddar for variety) and then wrap them with just enough bacon to go around once and hold the cheese in.

Click the image to open in full size.

The way I did them on the grill was to put them on skewers after putting them together with toothpicks. You could skip the skewer part if you want to mess with them on the grill individually. I cooked them covered on indirect heat for about 40 min. But they can probably be cooked quicker. I had thick-cut bacon so it took a little longer.

Unread 2011-06-11, 11:29   #35
kokopelli
Administrator

Feb 4 2003
6,443 posts
Male
Stavromula Beta

You had me at "bacon."

How'd it turn out??
Unread 2011-06-11, 11:53   #36
b0rg9
Mecha+ Member

Jan 6 2004
9,325 posts
Age 53
Male
clearwater, FL

They were really good. No one was over last night so I didn't have a chance to share 'em.

I would rather do them on a propane grill in the future. I used my weber with real charcoal and that gets smoky, which is awesome for a lot of things but I could do without too much of that with these.
Unread 2011-06-11, 12:48   #37
Dinahmoehum

Nov 1 2004
6,068 posts
Age 60
I'm Oprah Rich!

Don't the cheese melt all over??
Unread 2011-06-11, 12:57   #38
b0rg9
Mecha+ Member

Jan 6 2004
9,325 posts
Age 53
Male
clearwater, FL

Nope, you seal it with the bacon. I was expecting that too but it works.
Unread 2011-06-11, 19:04   #39
ash#

Nov 1 2004
9,372 posts
Age 46
Male
One of those indoor shopping malls

oh hells yea. sounds like the bacon cream cheese jalapeno item that rocks too.
Unread 2011-07-02, 7:50   #40
b0rg9
Mecha+ Member

Jan 6 2004
9,325 posts
Age 53
Male
clearwater, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash# View Post
oh hells yea. sounds like the bacon cream cheese jalapeno item that rocks too.
I did those last night -- was expecting to like them better than the pepper jack/pepperoncini ones but, to me, the win goes to bacon-wrapped pepperoncinis. More of a burst of flavor, overall IMO.

Anyone who has their grill fired up this weekend should try them out.
Unread 2011-09-02, 18:10   #41
Dinahmoehum

Nov 1 2004
6,068 posts
Age 60
I'm Oprah Rich!

So, out of the blue, at night, my wife says "I thought you were making waffles". We are like WTF??? Do you want waffles at 9pm? That is where this idea took root, I've been thinking about doing it for a while, but this pushed me over the edge to actually try it.
http://www.ray.bt76.com/pics/breakfastgenius.jpg
They came out really nice, I was pretty happy, and think I like this method better than baking.
I put this over at FB so figured I post here too.
Then there was dinner!
http://www.ray.bt76.com/pics/dinner8-31.jpg
I didn't make the dough, I do have a bread machine, but didn't use it, was on sale at publix. $2 for a ball of dough isn't cheap, but it's quicker for lazy people. I made up the ricotta mixture before I went to the library so it had time to meld. Garlic fresh basil and other common spices, a layer of provolone, then the ricotta, mozzarella and peperoni. All in all, no cheaper than buying one, but it was damn good, and it's hard to find anything edible in this town. I'm getting pretty good with the pizza too!
Unread 2012-01-06, 8:20   #42
b0rg9
Mecha+ Member

Jan 6 2004
9,325 posts
Age 53
Male
clearwater, FL

I made "beer bread" the other night. Really simple to make. I got the kit as a gift and selected good 'ol standby Guinness as my beer of choice to add. I probably could've gone the opposite direction with some Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale that I have and gotten a completely different result. Anyway, it turned out awesome and smelled great when it was cooking. Here's some pics...

The only ingredients needed (other than some butter to grease the pan)...

Simple instructions...

The mix out of the bottle...

No, this is not a waste of a perfectly good Guinness...

Before the oven...

...and after

And it really went well along with some home-made turkey soup!

Unread 2012-01-06, 10:36   #43
ash#

Nov 1 2004
9,372 posts
Age 46
Male

Oh yea my wife makes beer bread occasionally. It is awesome.

We have fou d the DFH Raison D'etra gives a good result.
Unread 2012-05-27, 9:51   #44
b0rg9
Mecha+ Member

Jan 6 2004
9,325 posts
Age 53
Male
clearwater, FL

Decided to make some shit up and improvised a preparation for bacon-wrapped beef ribs. I started with a "paint" made of maple syrup, raw sugar, hot mustard, lime juice, vinegar, onion powder, cayenne pepper, black pepper, salt and fresh thyme and garlic...

The spice mixture is painted on the ribs...

Several pieces of bacon are used to wrap the painted beef ribs...

I cooked them slowly over indirect heat. Had a flare up of the bacon grease, but other than that I was OK.

I steamed some yellow zucchini to mash up with butter and a little milk, like mashed potatoes.

Unread 2012-05-27, 10:52   #45
kokopelli
Administrator

Feb 4 2003
6,443 posts
Male
Stavromula Beta

Unread 2012-05-28, 19:59   #46
ash#

Nov 1 2004
9,372 posts
Age 46
Male

Oh my.
Unread 2012-05-29, 7:06   #47
Chuck

May 6 2003
15,810 posts
Age 62
Male
The real America not that part where you live.

Mmm and mmm @ Chef b0rg fixins, I fired up the grill yesterday, marinated chicken and steak kabobs, it was so hot by the time I got the food ready didn't feel like taking pics. But I did feel good enough to chow down.
Unread 2012-06-01, 9:06   #48
JangoFett
Mecha+ Member

Nov 1 2004
3,467 posts
Age 39
Male
Long, long ago in a galaxy far, far away

For the fiance's birthday, I took her to the cool new restaurant in Nashville, The Catbird Seat. We got to sit around the "kitchen" and watch the chefs prepare everything. I didn't take pictures of all the courses, but here are a few.

The outside sign

The meal started with a take on oreos. Porcini mushrooms cookie with parmesan filling.

Lamb!

A maple custard cooked in an eggshell with a slice of bacon. One of the best things I've ever eaten.

Lime sherbet on cucumber pudding!

At the end of the meal, we got a copy of the night's menu to take home. If you look closely in the lower left, you can see there was a meal that contained hay-infused yogurt. Hay-flavored yogurt is one of the weirdest things I've eaten, but it was surprisingly good in the dish.
Unread 2012-06-01, 10:47   #49
FulanoDeTal
Mecha+ Member

Jul 25 2006
5,432 posts
Age 39
Male
Indianapolis, IN

That meal looks awesome! Grilled Pork Belly? And look at all the wine! Happy Birthday Doctor-Fiance!

I love these kinds of restaurants. I went to one of Gordon Ramsay's restaruants in London and they did cool stuff like this too.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Unread 2012-06-16, 20:15   #50
Dinahmoehum

Nov 1 2004
6,068 posts
Age 60
I'm Oprah Rich!

Figured I should post this here too. Picked some peppers today! No clue what to do with them. Got a lot of good suggestions, this is way too many for a small family. Pickling them would make the most sense but I have 4 jars in the pantry already. This is what happens when you really don't think about your plants. This is from about 7 plants.
Unread 2012-06-16, 20:50   #51
b0rg9
Mecha+ Member

Jan 6 2004
9,325 posts
Age 53
Male
clearwater, FL

Let them mature to red, smoke them in a smoker and you have chipotle peppers.

You could make a jelly but you probably know as much as I do about how to do that. Pepper jelly is good for all sorts of things. On cornbread...
Unread 2012-06-18, 10:52   #52
FulanoDeTal
Mecha+ Member

Jul 25 2006
5,432 posts
Age 39
Male
Indianapolis, IN

Just make jars and jars of salsa with all those tomatoes you've got. Store them until christmas and voila, instant gifts
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Unread 2012-08-04, 20:23   #53
b0rg9
Mecha+ Member

Jan 6 2004
9,325 posts
Age 53
Male
clearwater, FL

Obligatory pic of I made for dinner last night...

I settled with Philly Gourmet Sandwich Steaks (on sale and a step up from Steak-um's IMO). Fried up some vidalia onion and even a little fresh garlic and a tiny bit of fresh oregano with it. They sell sourdough french bread at Publix so I went for that since it is so awesome and toasted it. And I used havarti cheese, which was a first.

Not authentic -- and not a steak hoagie, which is usually what I go for -- but tasty, nonetheless. And about 1,000 calories I think doing the math in my head.
Unread 2012-08-05, 8:21   #54
kokopelli
Administrator

Feb 4 2003
6,443 posts
Male
Stavromula Beta

Curious about how the cheese worked with it. Well done, Sir.
Unread 2012-08-05, 8:48   #55
b0rg9
Mecha+ Member

Jan 6 2004
9,325 posts
Age 53
Male
clearwater, FL

The havarti I have on-hand is mild so it worked well. Creamier and butterier than, say, white american.

The other choices I had in my fridge were ultra-sharp white cheddar or baby swiss. Either of those two I figured had too distinctive of a flavor and would turn the sammich into something different. I wish I had a nice Amaroso roll -- I think there's a place north of me where I can get them if I'm making up a bunch hosting a party or whatever.

Last night I made up for the indulgence by making grilled chicken thighs, brown rice and a salad. Just not the same, though. Not the same.
Unread 2012-08-05, 10:24   #56
Chuck

May 6 2003
15,810 posts
Age 62
Male

I use harvati a lot, good stuff and damn b0rg that looks so delicious
Unread 2012-08-05, 16:21   #57
Chuck

May 6 2003
15,810 posts
Age 62
Male

Homemade fajitas tonight, tasty

Unread 2012-08-06, 19:54   #58
b0rg9
Mecha+ Member

Jan 6 2004
9,325 posts
Age 53
Male
clearwater, FL

Looks good, Chuck. You've inspired me out of my cooking rut.

Sometimes (like tonight, for instance) I come home from work and it's already late so I make for the Tombstone pizza or some other heavy crap. It's not really what I want but it's easy. Fajayjays look convenient enough -- I'm not the type that considers cutting up and cleaning some veggies a pain in the ass -- and they are carb light enough for a late meal.
Unread 2012-08-12, 19:07   #59
kokopelli
Administrator

Feb 4 2003
6,443 posts
Male
Stavromula Beta

Wanted something different the other day. There's a place close to where I work that we frequent often. They have a lot of menu items that include turkey, so they have fresh oven roasted turkey all the time. I called to ask them if they had ever attempted to make a turkey cheesesteak. They said that they had not. I asked them if they'd be willing to try. They were. I had them use American cheese, and also had them include fried onions. I didn't think to take a picture, as I was too busy eating it. It turned out extremely good. I've never seen this item on a menu in the area. Chicken cheesesteaks are pretty popular, but nobody seems to have put much thought into a turkey variation. I would definitely get this again.
Unread 2012-08-12, 20:15   #60
b0rg9
Mecha+ Member

Jan 6 2004
9,325 posts
Age 53
Male
clearwater, FL

Wow that sounds good. Seems like a definite plan for the upcoming Thanksgiving leftovers. I'm a dark meat fan so I'm thinkin' the dark meat keeps the "greasy good" part of the equation alive. Not sure how you'd shave that cut though unless it was pressed into a loaf. Hell, just coarse chopped would probably suffice.

Still haven't made fajitas yet but it's on my list for upcoming meals. Made bacon-wrapped jalapenos last night (an appetizer that served as a meal) and made the filler from cream cheese, extra sharp cheddar and minced garlic. Used center cut bacon and utilized the kabob rack on my grill to do 'em. They were really good but hardly a square meal. Probably healthier than a pizza, though.
Go Back   Mechapixel Forums > Discussion > Hobbies & Addictions > Food & Such
Post New Thread Reply