Post New Thread Reply
Unread 2010-08-13, 10:26   #1
aarkieboy

Feb 5 2003
86,355 posts
Age 63
Male
Somewhere on this ball we call "Earth"

"Global youth unemployment has hit a record high following the financial crisis and is likely to get worse later this year, the International Labor Organization (ILO) said Thursday.

The report from the ILO says 81 million out of 630 million 15-24 year olds where unemployed at the end of 2009, some 7.8 million more than at the end of 2007.

Thursday marks the first day of the UN International Youth Year; the ILO warned these trends will have "significant consequences for young people as upcoming cohorts of new entrants join the ranks of the already unemployed." (More)
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Unread 2010-08-13, 13:19   #2
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
33,338 posts
Age 50
Male
On the trails

Well when your skillset is texting and Twilight, what do you expect?
Unread 2010-08-13, 20:36   #3
b0rg9
Mecha+ Member

Jan 6 2004
9,870 posts
Age 54
Male
clearwater, FL

ILO L'd
Unread 2010-08-14, 1:56   #4
Twiggy

Jul 9 2006
692 posts
Age 28

I am contributing to these statistics! Except I can sometimes draw pretty pictures in between texting and going on extreme Twilight binges.

Extreme Twilight-DVD-burning binges, sorry. ***
Unread 2010-08-14, 7:08   #5
bruno

Feb 4 2003
4,462 posts
Age 50
Male
Toledo Burbs

Construction unions here had to start a marketing campaign a few years ago to get young people applying for jobs....nobody wants to do it.

The daughter filled out one application and was working 5 days later. Shes managed to keep the job, I'm kinda proud of her. Bagging groceries isn't living money, but it's a start.

I just wish she wasn't contributing to the economy so much.
Unread 2010-08-14, 16:40   #6
Dinahmoehum

Nov 1 2004
6,174 posts
Age 61
I'm Oprah Rich!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Construction unions here had to start a marketing campaign a few years ago to get young people applying for jobs....nobody wants to do it.
We did something similar with the stage union back in the 80's when I mentioned that 70 year old dudes should not be pushing and lifting 500lb speakers. I got out of it, no clue what they are doing now, my brother is still in charge.

We also discussed this in the body shop world, no one wants to work that hard for such little pay. There are no new people going in to collision repair thanks to the insurance companies. Many trades are dying out, not for lack of interest, you simply can't make enough to support a family.
Go Back   Mechapixel Forums > Main > Aarkie's Corner > Youth Unemployment Hits Record High
Post New Thread Reply