Go Back   Mechapixel Forums > Discussion > Politics
Post New Thread Reply
Unread 2010-07-05, 5:26   #1
Gear Jammer

Jan 14 2004
5,555 posts
Male
Visiting my brain at the funny farm.

A one hour show, aired on Fox over the 4th of July weekend, hosted by John Stossel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xH6rT...x=0&playnext=1
Unread 2010-07-07, 14:49   #2
Domestic Goddess

Jan 19 2007
2,023 posts
Age 45
City of Brotherly Love

They forgot pr0n.
Unread 2010-07-24, 10:07   #3
Chuck

May 6 2003
15,805 posts
Age 62
Male
The real America not that part where you live.

And here is what is not so great. http://finance.yahoo.com/tech-ticker...it-520657.html
Unread 2010-07-26, 15:07   #4
Gear Jammer

Jan 14 2004
5,555 posts
Male

"In the United States, the average federal worker now earns 60% MORE than the average worker in the private sector."
Sad state of affairs that.

Also it might be time that the government stops pushing so damn much regulation on business, that the cost of compliance becomes unbearable to the point that combined with other factors the idea of the risk of doing business overseas in dictatorial countries becomes palatable.
Unread 2010-07-26, 15:26   #5
ash#

Nov 1 2004
9,367 posts
Age 46
Male
One of those indoor shopping malls

I am all for making regulations on business sensible. However, I do not think that regulation is by definition undesirable. If left completely to to their own devices, big business will fuck you early and often. Goldman Sachs I am looking in your direction. There are industries that absolutely need to be regulated and that businesses need someone looking at them constantly to keep them honest.
Unread 2010-07-28, 7:21   #6
Gear Jammer

Jan 14 2004
5,555 posts
Male

I would agree that some regulation especially when it comes to public safety is a good thing. Seat belts, and airbags in cars. Smoke alarms, and sprinklers in new homes. Fast food joints being required to publish the nutritional info of their offerings.

However, if a business fucks you, you can leave them, and go do business with another company (Comcrap pissed me off, I went to Dish for my TV, and Verizon for my internet). If the federal government fucks you, you are fucked. This is why the federal government, was constitutionally limited in it's scope of powers. The greatest power was to lie with the states, which you could relatively easily leave, and move on to another who's taxation, and laws were more to your liking, if they became unbearable in their taxation or laws. Sadly the constitutional set up of power in this country was thrown into the circular file long ago, and the feds now have the states by the balls.
Unread 2010-07-28, 7:37   #7
Chuck

May 6 2003
15,805 posts
Age 62
Male

Why the federal government got larger, we did. 1700's your wagon was probably built by a man in town, you bought your horse from someone that raised them in that town. You raised your own food or bought/bartered for the locally grown food. Want a drink then it is the beer you brewed or someone in town did and served it to you. Your home was built from timbers locally grown and you built it or hired a local to do so. We no longer live where everything we consume and need is a local venture.
So since we basically consume without borders, most products we use everyday come from not only other states but other countries. rules and regulations have to be in place and they have to be standardized for all.
We can't regulate every aspect of life obviously but I think it is truly a necessity of modern existence. I am pretty sure I don't trust big business to go unregulated, their track record seems to speak for itself.
Unread 2010-07-28, 7:47   #8
ash#

Nov 1 2004
9,367 posts
Age 46
Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gear Jammer View Post
However, if a business fucks you, you can leave them, and go do business with another company
To put it mildly, I think that is an oversimplification of reality. Oil produced and refined by BP could be in any number of products that you need to purchase and you don't know it. A vast majority of Americans are not customers of Goldman Sachs or any other wall street firm, but they were most definitely affected by the economic implosion caused a great deal by a lack of regulation of complex financial products.

And I would argue that even if you can leave a business after it fucks you, that might be little solace when you have no money or livelihood left. I am not saying regulate the shit out of everything, I am just saying that there are certain industries and products that need regulation, and that goes beyond public safety.

Edit: Gearjammer, I hope you don't take this personally, I am not trying to flame or be a dick. It would appear that I disagree with you pretty fundamentally on this issue.
Unread 2010-07-28, 7:50   #9
Gear Jammer

Jan 14 2004
5,555 posts
Male

Seems like everything is an all or nothing proposition around here with regards to politics. Look we found a racist that counts themselves among the Tea Party, the Tea Party are all racists. I suggest that the government should regulate business less, and it's as though the word "less" is lost on everyone, and they conclude, even though nothing I've typed would indicate it, that I mean completely.
Can't we all just smoke a bong, and moderate?
Unread 2010-07-28, 7:53   #10
Gear Jammer

Jan 14 2004
5,555 posts
Male

Kinda funny too, how a thread that I posted, about a story of What's great about America got not a single real response, until it was shifted over to a thread of what sucks about America. Sorry, but this I find pretty damn sad.
Unread 2010-07-28, 8:38   #11
Chuck

May 6 2003
15,805 posts
Age 62
Male

Don't think I said the country sucks at all, I do on the other hand think we have problems. President Lincoln (Republican) was well known for listening to many voices a lot of those contradictory to his beliefs. I feel the same, I think many opinions can be the way to work towards solutions.
I consider myself a pretty damn fine American, I served in the military, I have voted across party lines, I pay my taxes and work hard, I am a good neighbor and a good citizen, I ask for little and give a lot. I just don't care for the Tea Party or Libertarians like John Stossel says he is. His opinion carries no more weight than mine, just a better outlet to have that opinion heard.
Unread 2010-07-28, 8:54   #12
Gear Jammer

Jan 14 2004
5,555 posts
Male

You're service to the country is greatly appreciated Chuck, and while you didn't say what sucks about America, you did kinda "hijack" a dead thread that started as What's great about America, and turn it into what's not so great. No reason why you couldn't have started a separate thread for it. Also I didn't question your qualifications, or that of anyone else as an American, so I've no idea where that came into the equation here.
Unread 2010-07-28, 9:51   #13
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
30,916 posts
Age 48
Male
On the trails

Regarding the original video, you can believe its message, you can think it's off base, you can not care about it either way. What it ultimately did was provoke a discussion among people with different opinions in a thread. Anything of a political nature, especially in a Politics-specific forum, is going to evoke different viewpoints and opinions, no matter how innocuous and universal one thinks the original message is.

This is a very small group of people. On a site with a much larger user base (think Fark) there would probably be many posts from people who'd like the video and many who wouldn't, and many who'd just say stuff like "more boobs less moustache." Unlike Fark, no one's trolling here and no one is picking on anybody.
Unread 2010-07-28, 11:00   #14
Gear Jammer

Jan 14 2004
5,555 posts
Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by RepoMan View Post
Unlike Fark,...no one is picking on anybody.
Sorry, but coming from the less popular side of the political tracks, it doesn't seem that way.
Unread 2010-07-28, 12:34   #15
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
30,916 posts
Age 48
Male
On the trails

Well, I guess that comes with the territory when one is in the minority of anything, if you let it. Or you can accept that everyone is free to express their opinions. Being that this is a small community, I think a lot of stuff slides that, on a site like Fark, would erupt into utter nastiness because the small size engenders a more personal atmosphere that is generally more permissive and forgiving.

What's great about America? Well, for one, we're all free to have and express our opinions, no matter who may disagree.
Unread 2010-07-28, 12:56   #16
Gear Jammer

Jan 14 2004
5,555 posts
Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by RepoMan View Post
What's great about America? Well, for one, we're all free to have and express our opinions, no matter who may disagree.
Cool!!! I'll stop worrying about spending a couple days thinking about the most delicate way of putting my thoughts on a delicate subject up, as I did initially here, and start shooting from the hip then.

I think if you really read, and digest my original post today, you'll find little to nothing that is inflammatory in it. I even agreed to some extent with the post of ash#'s.
Unread 2010-07-28, 13:06   #17
bruno

Feb 4 2003
4,462 posts
Age 49
Male
Toledo Burbs

The political stuff has kinda made this place a bit gloomy.

Links came up at Aarks about the tea party. I try and stay away from them. I've written replies but don't post them. I've stayed out of it. I'm not going to change anyones opinion. Somehow-at least for me-this has translated into simply not posting on anything.

Political stuff went in politics, that's how it was. OK! We all kind of agreed on it. I don't comment on some of the stuff posted, not adding fuel to the fire.

Gearjammer-I'm going to pick on you. I'm sorry. I'm not going to debate what's right or what's wrong, I'm not going to call you a ninnypooperhead with fartypants or anything. Although I'm somewhat certain you do have in fact stinky britches.

I'm looking at the pets & stuff thread, it's about pets & stuff. It's not political at all. Somehow when I go there I'm reminded that you "don't want to press one for English", something about illegal immigration in Arizona...and the sig before that was something about Zachary Taylor and Obama. In a thread about puppies. Cute, adorable puppies.
Unread 2010-07-28, 20:31   #18
b0rg9
Mecha+ Member

Jan 6 2004
9,325 posts
Age 53
Male
clearwater, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gear Jammer View Post
Seems like everything is an all or nothing proposition around here with regards to politics.\
Strawman. In defense of Chuck and ash216 neither of them played that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno
I'm looking at the pets & stuff thread, it's about pets & stuff. It's not political at all. Somehow when I go there I'm reminded that you "don't want to press one for English", something about illegal immigration in Arizona...and the sig before that was something about Zachary Taylor and Obama. In a thread about puppies. Cute, adorable puppies.
I have to agree.

Look man, I like you and like this forum. Back in the day when it was debated if there should even be a politics thread at all you said no. So sigs and av's that push any political agenda should be equally verboten. I don't think they should be, personally. Just don't stand for one position and counter it through another.

In summary, I believe in seeing the best in all. and this place is about far more than politics. Trust me, GJ, if I can put up with my mom's husband and his political views I can put up with anyone's. Fuck, I work for a bunch of evangelical Christians who have an active domianianist agenda, for Christ's sake. I deal. And in real life everyday I'm that minority voice. Yet we still get through the daily grind.

2 cents
Unread 2010-07-28, 21:04   #19
texasaurus

Mar 31 2003
2,436 posts
Male
Fort Worth, Texas

You know what? I love all you guys. I know some of you lean right and some lean left and some lean way out there on either side sometimes, but on the whole your all a good bunch of joe's in my book that I'd gladly have an extended beer summit with any day. Except DG, because PFC would get jealous, sorry DG.

I have the occasional disagreement on (insert hot political topic issue here) with family and friends with about the same frequency as I do as with you guys. I think you get ten twenty people together anywhere and there's gonna be some scruff ups here and there. I've had some doozies with my brother, but you know- he's still my bro and we both get over it after a bit, even though I think he's an idiot sometimes I still love him.

We have a LOT more in common and helluva lot more that we agree about in general about most things, and that's about all I can expect. You guys are all about the best bunch of folks I've ever known, and among the most level headed (most of the time) I've ever shot the shit with.

That being said.. well, I guess that's all I wanted to say.

Go Broncos. GO USA.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Unread 2010-07-29, 4:40   #20
Chuck

May 6 2003
15,805 posts
Age 62
Male

Apologies for starting a shit storm, somehow GJ took my link as a personal attack instead of a rebuttal to some of the stuff John Stossel was saying. I don't apologize for believing this country is in bad shape right now. The come here and live the American dream he is preaching seems unattainable to most right now. Millions of homes foreclosed, millions of actual good people who do want to work can't find a job (granted some are happy as can be to not be working) but I am talking people like in Wilmington, Ohio close to here. DHL closes, leaves thousands unemployed, stores, restaurants, car dealers, etc close eventually. Place is but a ghost town now.
What is great about America? The American people, we always seem to somehow overcome things and move on. Depression, recession, wars or whatever we survive and eventually thrive.
Closing, I would love for GJ or anyone else for that matter to give me 5 examples of federal regulations that could be dropped that would bring back jobs to our shores.

Edited to add: I wasn't being facetious by asking that, I keep hearing less regulation but so far I haven't heard anyone say exactly what regulation is holding us back.

Last edited by Chuck; 2010-07-29 at 6:42.
Unread 2010-07-29, 8:24   #21
ash#

Nov 1 2004
9,367 posts
Age 46
Male

I am all for the Beer Summit. Well, I actually have a beer summit pretty much every day.

Hey, i don't apologize for disagreeing. That IS one of the things that is great about this country. People disagree. I really don't believe that it is ever mine or anyone else's intention on this site to gang up on someone who is in the minority opinion. As has been mentioned before, this site is about a whole lot more than politics.

Back in the old days, if I recall, we(moderators) used to take political threads out of Aarkies and move them to the politics forum. That, I think, was at least a little helpful in containing the political disagreement to one place, and then everyone could just keep on with a "whatever happens in the politics forum stays in the politics forum" kind of vibe and everything is business as usual outside that forum. I think we have lost that separation.

Just a thought.
Unread 2010-07-29, 9:23   #22
kokopelli
Administrator

Feb 4 2003
6,443 posts
Male
Stavromula Beta

Going forward, I can start moving things, as needed. I could also just nuke the Politics forum from orbit, should it be felt that doing such a thing would benefit the site. I'm not saying it is needed, just saying it is an option I have.

I dig this site. I still hope to see it restored to what it once was. I don't want emotions to further break it down.
Unread 2010-07-29, 9:34   #23
Chuck

May 6 2003
15,805 posts
Age 62
Male

I don't mind at all if politics is left out, as long as we can totally leave it out. Anything to make it smoother around here is great with me.
Unread 2010-07-29, 11:02   #24
bruno

Feb 4 2003
4,462 posts
Age 49
Male
Toledo Burbs

I don't mind if the politics thread stays or goes. I just think politics should stay in politics.

I go into politics threads with a different mindset. My mind goes into a serious debate tone. I can turn it off and on, leave it in those threads. I like the political stuff-when I'm in the political thread and have that mindset turned on.

The issue I have is politics has permeated the entire site to an extent.

I can't be funny or stupid and goofy making comments about anal glass breakage, turn on the serious debate tone for the next thread about politics and then go back to fun and goofy in a thread about midget jello wrestling-and that's really hard to do since I enjoy midget sports so much.

I find myself in a serious debate tone when I come here since I never know when/where it's going to pop up. It's much less fun-at least for me.
Unread 2010-07-29, 11:46   #25
ash#

Nov 1 2004
9,367 posts
Age 46
Male

Well I for one am probably as guilty as anyone of talking politics outside the politics forum. I pledge from here on out, that I will keep that shit in the politics forum so people only have to see it if they want to. I don't want this to be a place where people stay away because political argument is running rampant.

Bring on the midgets!
Unread 2010-07-30, 5:00   #26
Gear Jammer

Jan 14 2004
5,555 posts
Male

Point taken on the avatar, and sig lines, and I will refrain from any political stuff in those areas in the future. Politics seemed to be pretty much everywhere on the site these days, so I didn't think much of it.

Also I would be in favor of having political type stuff narrowed back to being exclusively in the political forum, if not removed in it's entirety. As previously mentioned in these comments, I was against the addition of politics to the site in the first place. Plenty of places on the net to talk about politics, not as many to just hang out with good friends, and shoot the shit, without worry of offending one's political ideology.
Unread 2010-07-30, 7:54   #27
texasaurus

Mar 31 2003
2,436 posts
Male
Fort Worth, Texas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJEpWnzh0pc
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Unread 2010-07-30, 8:34   #28
Gear Jammer

Jan 14 2004
5,555 posts
Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasaurus View Post
Click the image to open in full size.
Unread 2010-07-30, 15:59   #29
Domestic Goddess

Jan 19 2007
2,023 posts
Age 45
City of Brotherly Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasaurus View Post
You know what? I love all you guys. I know some of you lean right and some lean left and some lean way out there on either side sometimes, but on the whole your all a good bunch of joe's in my book that I'd gladly have an extended beer summit with any day. Except DG, because PFC would get jealous, sorry DG.
It's ok, I don't drink beer. Tastes like ear wax. Poopy head.

Seriously, though, my mother always taught me that you don't discuss religion and politics in polite company. Translation: Don't talk about shit that stirs the pot when emotions are involved. You ain't gonna change anyone's mind and it makes no one happy. I'm not saying you should get rid of politics (it just ain't my bag, and I prefer not to discuss it among friends) but like I said, religion and politics = BAD.

Just my two cents.

As you were.
Unread 2010-07-30, 16:33   #30
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
30,916 posts
Age 48
Male
On the trails

Pff, you think you can just come in here and say beer tastes like ear wax and toodle off?

Not on my watch, sister.
Go Back   Mechapixel Forums > Discussion > Politics > What's Great About America
Post New Thread Reply