Learn more - Subscribe
HomeContestsQueueShowcaseArcadeForumsMembersAboutContact
Unread 2009-10-19, 5:52   #1
Gear Jammer

Jan 14 2004
5,555 posts
Male
Visiting my brain at the funny farm.

Contemplating getting Netflix. $8.99 per month, 1 DVD at a time, with access to unlimited instant streaming over the internet to TV, of movies, and TV episodes sounds like a good deal.

To anyone with experience with Netflix: is the selection of movies, and TV on the streaming end of things worth the purchase of a $99 box, or is it rather limited, and stagnant in it's selection?

Is the video quality of the streaming video up to par with DVD?

Does Netflix carry Blu-ray disks?
Do they charge extra for them?

Many thanks in advance.
Unread 2009-10-19, 9:19   #2
akaMonty

Jun 25 2003
2,116 posts
Age 47
Male
Tulsa, OK

I think it's worth it and I've been really happy with Netflix. The Blu-Ray player we picked up had Netflix streaming built in and the selection is pretty broad for both new releases and older titles. I think I've got more queued up for streaming than in the mail queue. The video quality is definitely dependent on your connection but overall it is really good, and they're always sending emails to check on quality for movies you've just watched.

I was on an oldies kick so I watched "Bullitt" and "Seven Year Itch" last week via streaming. They are also carrying TV series via streaming and we watched the 1st season of Weeds that way ('til we got completely hooked and picked up the Blu-Rays on sale).

Netflix does carry Blu-Ray and they do charge a dollar or two more a month.
Unread 2009-10-19, 10:55   #3
texasaurus

Mar 31 2003
2,436 posts
Male
Fort Worth, Texas

PFC and I are happy with the Netflix, I'm on the plan you are looking into, she's on the big plan. We have a pretty good connection speed.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Unread 2009-10-19, 11:28   #4
bruno

Feb 4 2003
4,462 posts
Age 49
Male
Toledo Burbs

I had the 8.99 plan and thought it was great. The snail mail movie turn around was usually 2/3 days. The streaming was good, movie selection not so good. You could watch movie channel shows steaming, spent a good day watching "weeds" since I didn't have showtime.

Buuuuut when it came time to trim the budget netflix was the first to go.
Unread 2009-10-19, 15:26   #5
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
31,112 posts
Age 49
Male
On the trails

I can't say anything negative about Netflix really. Snail mail is fine, and I stream stuff through the Xbox frequently. Streaming is definitely weighted more towards older stuff, not as many new releases available as in the DVD selection. That said it can be great to check out old favorites you might not necessarily want to waste your one DVD rental on.
Unread 2009-10-19, 21:27   #6
Gear Jammer

Jan 14 2004
5,555 posts
Male

Thanks all. I hadn't even thought about the fact that with my 1.5 down DSL, that isn't even dependable for that at all times, there's no way they could stream DVD quality to me. Might still look into the deal though, as it'd be nice to have a movie sitting there waiting all the time, and even if I only watched one a week, I'd be coming out way ahead of what I'd be charged renting them individually at Blockbuster, or some such.

Contemplating the Blu-ray player route now, and getting one that can stream from Netflix, but not depending on that to deliver.
Unread 2009-10-20, 5:17   #7
Gear Jammer

Jan 14 2004
5,555 posts
Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by BjornpoMan216saurasrings View Post
One downside to Netflix is that they don't offer steaming, err, I mean streaming, pr0n.
Click the image to open in full size.
Steamed Pron, yummy!
Unread 2009-10-22, 16:58   #8
Dinahmoehum

Nov 1 2004
6,083 posts
Age 60
I'm Oprah Rich!

We have the 3 out at a time plan, one day turn around. Kid has an ap and it says we pay 24 cents per movie. We can stream to 2 tv's at a time full quality. Full quality is not as good as a bluray disc. There was a lot of artifacting in the free HD wizard of oz preview they had.

They are offering a $50 off coupon, I heard, with bestbuy for one of the streaming bluray players. Don't know what that comes to? (if we get one i'll post it) They do charge more for bluray. If you are looking to stream, I'd have to think about going X-box, since you would get a ton of use out of it. If you want hidef movies, I'd have to push you towards a PS3, you know you gonna love it!

Any working dsl will be enough to stream movies, it will adjust the bit rate for your pipe.
Unread 2009-10-23, 21:56   #9
bruno

Feb 4 2003
4,462 posts
Age 49
Male
Toledo Burbs

I re-upped with netflix, the cheapskate bastard plan. I'm poor and killed of my 200 channel CATV service. Need something to watch since I don't have Lifetime any more.

Watched The Japanese tearjerker Audition on the machine last night, streamed very well @ 7Mb cable. Ordered the date movie Hostel last night. Should be here Tomorrow, that's what they said. So it's working out.
Unread 2009-10-25, 10:44   #10
Dinahmoehum

Nov 1 2004
6,083 posts
Age 60
I'm Oprah Rich!

I haven't seen any of the bluray coupons as of yet, but there is talk about them.
http://www.hackingnetflix.com/2009/1...to-99-149.html
There was also news of streaming coming to more players soon, likely the Wii and PS3, I think streaming to an iphone is just insane, but am all for it if it pisses off ATT.
http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/N...-iPhone-103781
This place has the details about rentals:
http://feedfliks.com/
Unread 2009-10-26, 7:24   #11
Chuck

May 6 2003
15,884 posts
Age 62
Male
The real America not that part where you live.

Netflix on PS3 was confirmed by Sony. http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/26/n...playstation-3/
Unread 2009-10-26, 12:13   #12
Dinahmoehum

Nov 1 2004
6,083 posts
Age 60
I'm Oprah Rich!

Order yours today!
http://www.netflix.com/InstantStreamingDisc
Unread 2009-10-27, 10:59   #13
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
31,112 posts
Age 49
Male
On the trails

Not to sound like a 360 fanboy, but needing to insert a disc is kind of lame. Granted, they say that won't be needed come "late 2010" but it still comes off as a half-assed solution. Is it really that hard to add that to the existing dashboard?
Unread 2009-10-29, 2:08   #14
Chuck

May 6 2003
15,884 posts
Age 62
Male

Wii Netflix http://blog.streamingmedia.com/the_b...very-soon.html
Unread 2009-10-29, 4:02   #15
Gear Jammer

Jan 14 2004
5,555 posts
Male

Think I'd rather spend money on a Netflix compatible Bluray player than on a HD Wii. If they could somehow get Netflix to stream on the hard drive-less SD Wii, cool, but I ain't droppin' another $300 to Nintendo for another Wii, when the one I have now works fine, and gets, at this point, about 2 hours use at most a week.
Unread 2009-10-29, 4:43   #16
Chuck

May 6 2003
15,884 posts
Age 62
Male

Pretty sure they are talking all Wii consoles not just new ones.
Unread 2009-10-29, 5:34   #17
Gear Jammer

Jan 14 2004
5,555 posts
Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
Pretty sure they are talking all Wii consoles not just new ones.
If so, that'd be pretty cool, however the statement "Nintendo is also considering holding off on the Netflix service until they release their next generation Wii HD unit in early 2010." makes me wonder if Nintendo might be planning to use it as a selling point for the next gen system, and thus not making the capability available to owners of the earlier system.
Unread 2009-10-29, 10:04   #18
ash#

Nov 1 2004
9,447 posts
Age 46
Male
One of those indoor shopping malls

Thats what I would do. They already pwned and teabagged this round of the console wars.
Unread 2009-10-29, 12:28   #19
FulanoDeTal
Mecha+ Member

Jul 25 2006
5,456 posts
Age 40
Male
Indianapolis, IN

Wii-bagged?
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Unread 2009-11-05, 9:24   #20
bruno

Feb 4 2003
4,462 posts
Age 49
Male
Toledo Burbs

One thing that's impressed me on this go around with netflix and the 360-The movie menu right on the 360.

I think before it was que up on the computer, go to the xbox and watch. Think there was a limit of 6 titles in the xbox que?

Now I can pick movies right from the xbox, no running back and forth. Plus going through the the xbox menu is faster than the .com site.

If somebody comes over I don't need to explain how the .com works, do this and do that, you can just browse the movies right on the console. Sweet.
Unread 2009-11-15, 11:33   #21
Dinahmoehum

Nov 1 2004
6,083 posts
Age 60
I'm Oprah Rich!

Got a question about availability. Check this,
http://www.amazon.com/Rock-Roll-Hall.../dp/B002HWUU3G

I put this in the queue and they sent me, disc 2 & 3, with 1 being unavailable. WTF? It's brand new. The discs are not labeled, but say: Light my fire (volume 1) start me up (volume 3), I guess mislabeled by netflix. I think #2 is the one I'm missing. Can you check your local netflix and see what they say?

They are not really worth renting, kinda lame for something as important as archiving R&R history, but I'm guessing licensing plays heavy on releasing the good stuff. I was hoping for the ramones, talking heads and blondie. They have added the contents of the discs and #2 is the one I didn't get, I would like to see the Springsteen stuff, and Neil.

For the record, another one that is never available is the ed sullivan R&R classics. I got one disc and it went to limbo.
http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Ed_Sull...3?trkid=226872
Is there a way to get stuff nationwide, it seems to only index your local distro inventory?
Unread 2009-11-16, 11:40   #22
B L

Jun 11 2005
2,473 posts
Age 53
Male
a whale's vagina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinahmoehum View Post
Got a question about availability... Can you check your local netflix and see what they say?
Mine has the option to save both of those titles for later, but not to add to the queue.

Last edited by B L; 2009-11-20 at 15:07.
Unread 2009-11-16, 22:48   #23
bruno

Feb 4 2003
4,462 posts
Age 49
Male
Toledo Burbs

The rock and roll discs are all listed as "save" here.

I ran across this page about throttling/allocation, interesting. From 2003.
Unread 2009-11-17, 10:22   #24
Dinahmoehum

Nov 1 2004
6,083 posts
Age 60
I'm Oprah Rich!

I don't think they are throttling people anymore, we send 3 in we get 3 back the next mailing day. I forgot the numbers but we get like 30 a month. According to feedflicks we are far from the norm. 0-2 days is only 1% of users.
http://feedfliks.com/
I wonder if people are stealing discs and saying they were lost in the mail? Or if there was a licensing problem and they had to yank the discs?
Unread 2009-12-22, 8:51   #25
akaMonty

Jun 25 2003
2,116 posts
Age 47
Male
Tulsa, OK

For years, the Criterion Collection has been around to provide one of the best film educations a casual viewer can receive. Just by checking out any chunk of the now-massive collection, you’ll be exposed to an incredible array of films that cover every spectrum of entertaining and artistic filmmaking. And now it just got a whole lot more accessible, as Criterion has added thirty-five more films to stream via the Netflix ‘Watch Instantly’ service. Now you have no excuse to miss some of the best films ever made.

Quite a few films from the Criterion Collection had hit the Netflix streaming service already, and in the last month the offerings have come fast and furious. With the 35 titles added today, you can multiply your cinematic knowledge a hundredfold, just by queuing up all these titles over the holiday break.

There’s a great deal of classic, unmissable work by Akira Kurosawa: Yojimbo, Sanjuro, Rashomon, Seven Samurai, Ikiru, High and Low and The Hidden Fortress. There’s For All Mankind, the documentary about the Apollo space program built from footage shot during some of the first American flights into space. With a score by Brian Eno, it has long been one of my favorite marriages of sound and image. There’s Europa, the early Lars von Trier experiment that subverts the thriller form and uses a multitude of filmmaking tricks to create a queasy view of post-war Germany. And there are The Vanishing and General Idi Amin Dada, each of which in its own way (thriller and documentary) explores the sociopathic tendencies of human beings like few other films manage.

Here are the new Criterion titles added today:

High and Low
Jules and Jim
Sanjuro
Seven Samurai
Summertime
The Vanishing
Walkabout
Yojimbo
My Life as a Dog
For All Mankind
Cleo from 5 to 7