Learn more - Subscribe
HomeContestsQueueShowcaseArcadeForumsMembersAboutContact
Unread 2010-01-01, 8:59   #1
Domestic Goddess

Jan 19 2007
2,023 posts
Age 45
City of Brotherly Love

Woke up to find the husband installed it on the laptop. So far we like it, it is quite useful, ff runs sweeeeeeet and it's easy on the eyes.

Just wondering if'n any of y'all use it. And what you think of it.
Unread 2010-01-01, 13:47   #2
Dinahmoehum

Nov 1 2004
6,020 posts
Age 59
I'm Oprah Rich!

I like the hell out of it. I just put it on a machine I build yesterday. Wireless drivers are still a pain. Some things are just infuriating still. Like this karaoke/guitar hero game, it doesn't come with songs. You download the songs, but I can't figure the combo to put them in the game folder. If super terminal won't let me do it, WTF? I am a shitty root!

Over all, most people would be fine with it, It does 90% of what people use computers for out de box. As I tell people it just fuckin works!
Unread 2010-01-01, 15:33   #3
Domestic Goddess

Jan 19 2007
2,023 posts
Age 45
City of Brotherly Love

I like it so far...it looks different but it runs so nice!
Unread 2010-01-01, 16:22   #4
Dinahmoehum

Nov 1 2004
6,020 posts
Age 59
I'm Oprah Rich!

Turn on compiz, you need to download a control app, but there is a ton of cool things in there! Once downloaded I think it lives in admin or preferences or something, easy to find, don't know why it don't come out da box?
Unread 2010-01-04, 12:59   #5
FulanoDeTal
Mecha+ Member

Jul 25 2006
5,387 posts
Age 39
Male
Indianapolis, IN

You're going to make me want to play around with it again! dammit. I used it for months last year and didn't have any complaints. I just got tired of the little differences creeping up on me, then I'd have to go hunt around for the "right" way. It's still on my computer so I might jump back in, but I was about to wipe it off (to clear up hard disk space)
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Unread 2010-01-04, 13:24   #6
Domestic Goddess

Jan 19 2007
2,023 posts
Age 45
City of Brotherly Love

We love it so far. No complaints, really!
Unread 2010-01-04, 14:06   #7
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
30,212 posts
Age 48
Male
On the trails

I don't really use it as a desktop, but I have it running two servers at home and it's rock solid. Never even really think about them, they just do their jobs quietly. It can definitely breathe life back into old systems. One of these is a PII 450MHz which ran XP horribly.
Unread 2010-01-04, 15:35   #8
bruno

Feb 4 2003
4,462 posts
Age 48
Male
Toledo Burbs

I screwed around with the latest version awhile ago.

The killer was my old(er) graphics card-no drivers for it, couldn't get a good screen resolution. I fiddled around a bit with drivers-it's too easy to bork the whole thing if the driver's wrong.

I think Mr. Graphics Card company wants me to get a new card that's supported, won't do it just for Ubuntus sake.
Unread 2010-01-05, 15:58   #9
txmxmatt

Sep 21 2005
909 posts
Age 33
Male
Dallas

I've been using it off and on for about 3 years. And by off and on, I mean that I will get all hyped up about a new version, go through the paces of updating/installing said latest version, and then get pissed off that they still don't support my wireless card chipsets without some insanely complicated workaround (yes i know it's linux and that's the interesting part) and I give up after a month. Both of the laptops i've tried on are Toshiba Satellites, and they both have the same wireless chipset, so maybe it's my fault for expecting different results. But other than the wireless issues, I love it and would love to have a laptop that I could run it on without going insane.
Unread 2010-01-05, 20:30   #10
Domestic Goddess

Jan 19 2007
2,023 posts
Age 45
City of Brotherly Love

Five days and going strong. The only complaint I have is that one of the flash games sites my son likes doesn't work well on it, but that's ok, the laptop is MINE ALL MINE ALL MINE. Because it has KEYS that haven't been eaten off. The twerps can use the ole Windows 'puters. MWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
Unread 2010-01-06, 15:06   #11
Dinahmoehum

Nov 1 2004
6,020 posts
Age 59
I'm Oprah Rich!

Know what sucks, when the internet dies on a wireless laptop during an upgrade. Then, the kid figuring he would just reinstall from cd, but wipes out windows too, the only way to turn on the wireless radio. (as far as I can tell, the fn key does nothing, and so says the rest of the internet on a dell vostro 1000) So, here we go a rebuilding! First all of windows, then, on to 9.10! (there is also no reason he can't just use windows on this thing)
Unread 2010-01-15, 20:14   #12
NocturnalGuy
Mecha+ Member

Oct 22 2003
4,887 posts
Age 46
Male
T.O.

Well, I'm busting my Linux cherry tonight! Currently installing Ubuntu on an old PC that will be given away if this doesn't improve its performance a bit. Install seems to be going smoothly (knock on wood)... I'll report back once I've played around with it!
Unread 2010-01-16, 13:04   #13
Dinahmoehum

Nov 1 2004
6,020 posts
Age 59
I'm Oprah Rich!

I never did get the wireless to work this time, but I quit playing with it too. I'm sure it's possible, I was just tired of dicking with it. I put it on a desktop I built from parts I had lying around, no issues, this latest one is pretty slick.

I saw this,
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/...d-upgrades.ars
Interesting, but pricey at this point.
Go Back   Mechapixel Forums > Discussion > Technology Bytes > Ubuntu
Post New Thread Reply