Post New Thread Reply
Unread 2009-08-06, 10:53   #1
Domestic Goddess

Jan 19 2007
2,023 posts
Age 45
City of Brotherly Love

Howdy, y'all.

Grandmom was recently put into hospice (after living on her own until 93, you go girl!) and my aunts and uncles are cleaning out her house to sell. We came across a TON of old slides my grandfather took (he dies in 1984). No projector, just slides. Anywho, is there some kind of service that will convert them? Think I can scan them? Any advice/tips would be appreciated. I'd love to have these all converted (well, not the pics of the azalea bush from 1920 until 1984) but the family photos are priceless...

Thanks,
DG the slide n00b.
Unread 2009-08-06, 14:53   #2
Chuck

May 6 2003
15,696 posts
Age 62
Male
The real America not that part where you live.

You can find slide scanners now pretty cheap, much cheaper than having them done I would say. As cheap as this even http://www.amazon.com/Ion-Photo-Nega...dp/B001DCGMR4/
Unread 2009-08-06, 17:00   #3
FulanoDeTal
Mecha+ Member

Jul 25 2006
5,418 posts
Age 39
Male
Indianapolis, IN

I can't say anything about the one that Chuck posted, but my uncle used one that produced terrible results. I've tried my hand at scanning in some of my dad's old slides with varying results. They did improve when I used this backlighter trick. But it's a labor intensive job to do them one at a time. Worth it for rescuing old photos, but it's a trade off time/money.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Unread 2009-08-07, 9:17   #4
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
30,650 posts
Age 48
Male
On the trails

I have an older HP Photosmart scanner for 35mm negatives and slides... it does a decent job, but it's not fast.

Here's an example of a negative scan

Slide scans look the same. I have a bunch of old slides from the 60s scanned, but I can't locate them just now.
Unread 2009-08-07, 18:35   #5
Dinahmoehum

Nov 1 2004
6,055 posts
Age 60
I'm Oprah Rich!

We covered this in the sb, and this was the result from ash I think.
http://www.scancafe.com/
http://photo.net/digital-darkroom-forum/00NPjK

I have an hp scanner with the light attachment and it is ungodly slow. It only does 4 at a time, and you would have to go chop them apart in PS. It's ok for an occasional use. Someone asked if I could do them, and I said it would take months to do a lot of slides. You are much better off paying someone who has proper equipment to do it.
Unread 2009-08-07, 20:45   #6
Domestic Goddess

Jan 19 2007
2,023 posts
Age 45
City of Brotherly Love

I am soooooo gonna pay someone. I read about DIY and I barely have enough time to shower and cook dinner during the day, let alone sit and scan thousands of slides.

I think we'll go through them and do a bunch at a time. Or divvy up the slides to various family members and we can each do their own.
Unread 2009-08-09, 17:51   #7
Dinahmoehum

Nov 1 2004
6,055 posts
Age 60
I'm Oprah Rich!

Shower you say? Click the image to open in full size. and you got slides you say????

note I didn't go with the "DIY"
Unread 2009-08-11, 10:46   #8
Alligator

Mar 16 2006
300 posts
Male

I have the OptiFilm 7200 scanner by plustek, and it works quite well.
Unread 2009-08-26, 10:20   #9
Domestic Goddess

Jan 19 2007
2,023 posts
Age 45
City of Brotherly Love

Update: I located two decent, reputable companies that do this. You have to ship them the slides but they put mega insurance on it. I am still nervous about it, as is my uncle. We will see. They charge by the slide ($.68 per slide to convert) or you can purchase a bulk amount ($600 for 1,000).
I also reserached slide scanners and found several. They run from $99 for a really crappy one to $2,000 for a professional grade one. Don't think we need that one, I was thinking about the Minolta for $400ish. Seems like a good middle-of-the-road one, decent dpi and speed. The online reviews are good. The Nikon would be great for $1,000...
Anyways, thanks for the input. I cannot wait to get these all digital. It represents a few years of my grandparents' lives from my Grandfather's retirement until he passed away at the ripe old age of 60.
Go Back   Mechapixel Forums > Discussion > Technology Bytes > old slides to photos/digital?
Post New Thread Reply