Learn more - Subscribe
HomeContestsQueueShowcaseArcadeForumsMembersAboutContact
Unread 2010-04-12, 6:45   #1
Chuck

May 6 2003
15,506 posts
Age 61
Male
The real America not that part where you live.

I was one of those leading the charge of what the hell good would this thing be. Well having it for a few days now I think it is the kick back on the couch, put your feet up computer. Instant on, get right to what you want to do.
Don't ever see this as a work or school related machine but if you want to lounge around the house and do 90% of what you would do on a full computer this can do it. Have watched tons of video which looks great, quick emails perfect (wouldn't want to type much more than that at a time though). Book reading, have done maybe a half an hour at a time, so spending hours doing so I can't say but what I have done was slick.
Haven't downloaded a lot of apps yet, and what I have were all free. ABC video app, Weather Channel app, book reader and an air hockey game. The game I messed with about 15 minutes before boredom sat in and I uninstalled but the rest I really liked.
Screen is incredibly clear and a pleasure for every task I have tried.
Now whether this is worth the asking price???
I'll update as I go and glad to answer questions.
Unread 2010-04-12, 10:42   #2
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
30,267 posts
Age 48
Male
On the trails

Sounds like exactly what I'd want it for.

How's the battery life in the real world?
Unread 2010-04-12, 11:42   #3
Chuck

May 6 2003
15,506 posts
Age 61
Male

Battery life is in a word amazing. 10 hours is claimed and I would say you might get even more. Now the USB charging doesn't seem to work, but a few hours plugged into an outlet and right back and good to go.
Unread 2010-04-12, 11:56   #4
FulanoDeTal
Mecha+ Member

Jul 25 2006
5,390 posts
Age 39
Male
Indianapolis, IN

are you able to get YouTube? I hear there's no Flash on that thing. So no Hulu, or Network TV episodes then either, right?
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Unread 2010-04-12, 12:05   #5
Chuck

May 6 2003
15,506 posts
Age 61
Male

Youtube has an app all its own as does ABC, I also watched shows on CBS. But no Hulu...yet. I think as more units are sold more and more will come onto the HTML5 bandwagon and all video will work.
Unread 2010-04-12, 12:43   #6
ash#

Nov 1 2004
9,226 posts
Age 46
Male
One of those indoor shopping malls

10 hours is pretty damn nice battery life. My laptop struggles to break an hour and a half.
Unread 2010-04-12, 12:46   #7
FulanoDeTal
Mecha+ Member

Jul 25 2006
5,390 posts
Age 39
Male
Indianapolis, IN

oh yeah, apps. My archos has its own Youtube app also, but I didn't think to look for Network apps. They keep saying Flash is on its way for the archos, but it's not looking good.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Unread 2010-04-13, 1:19   #8
fray

Aug 27 2005
1,497 posts
Age 50
Male
Redlands, CA

I was playing with one this weekend in the store. Holding in one hand and navigating/typing with the other. That thing gets heavy after a while.
Totally agree that having it on your lap on the couch would be a good way to use it.
Unread 2010-04-21, 7:32   #9
JangoFett
Mecha+ Member

Nov 1 2004
3,467 posts
Age 39
Male
Long, long ago in a galaxy far, far away

I've been away for a while (something called taxes), but I too got an iPad. In addition to Netflix, crosswords, Marvel comics, and the great e-book functionality; I love the RDP apps.

At our office, everything is run off of a central server via terminal services. Nothing is done on the local computers. We just use Microsoft Remote Desktop or an equivalent program to log in and get stuff done. With the RDP app on the iPad, I can go into a client meeting with the full power of a laptop in a tiny device. I can pull up a client's prior year scanned information, do tax projections in our tax software, and do tax research from the iPad.

In all, it's fun at home; it's useful at work.
Unread 2010-08-19, 20:15   #10
Domestic Goddess

Jan 19 2007
2,023 posts
Age 45
City of Brotherly Love

I'm sure this was unintended, but it turns out that the iPad has been pretty darn useful to folks with disabilities. I've read several articles (and know one of the people in the article) where they've developed apps, downloaded apps, etc, for electronic talking programs for those who cannot speak. The coolest thing is that a "talker" or augmentative communication device costs around $15,000 (if insurance approves it and pays for it). An ipad? WAY CHEAPER. And obviously more obtainable.
Go Back   Mechapixel Forums > Discussion > Technology Bytes > The iPad, real quick review
Post New Thread Reply