Unread 2017-02-26, 19:26   #1
b0rg9
Mecha+ Member

Jan 6 2004
8,963 posts
Age 52
Male
clearwater, FL

I thought I just start a thread on this so I can jaw about it w/o cluttering up the shoutbox. Plus this lets me throw more details around.

I went and sprung for the upright kit-

http://www.recroommasters.com/32_Pro...-32-pro-ee.htm

Got the default black game top, nothing fancy. This will blend into my living room area and not be stand-outish.

Got the 32" tv that goes with it today from Best Buy yesterday and picked it up today. Good thing I grabbed that on sale for $99 as it was back up to $129 today.

That leaves the guts. This is where I just couldn't get myself to go on the cheap no matter how I tried. Still relatively cheap but I wanted to future-proof the box for more complex things I might add console roms, etc. Also the front-end and hlsl (CRT emulation) probably takes up a million more times processing than the games themselves.

Anyhow, I I built a box on Newegg for around $600 that includes a current generation i5 and a board that supports it, 8gb of ddr4 ram supported by that and a Crucial 275gb SSD. Also Win 10 is included in that overall cost as well as a DVD drive to get Windows on and whatever, and a wifi card. On board video should be more than enough w/ this rig but it it's not I can upgrade my active desktop and toss this GTX 560 in it if I need to. Don't see that happening, though.

So, in short, I potentially have myself a kick-ass 2-player upright arcade system with trackball and a 32" display that will do both vertical and horizontal games and potentially 1000's of playable games (more than I'll ever even explore actually) and the ability to load not only classic arcade games but classic console games and some steam games as well.

They want more than three grand for out-of-the-box machines you can put in your man cave to keep the grandkids amused. Way too much (SAD!) This is more of a work-in-progress for me and I'm in with so much more for over $1200 less (and I could've been even more if I could really force myself to build a cheap computer or had one I could use in the graveyard). I hope to be able to show you all some cool progress on this.

Unread 2017-02-27, 17:25   #2
NocturnalGuy
Mecha+ Member

Oct 22 2003
4,755 posts
Age 45
Male
T.O.

Unread 2017-03-01, 10:07   #3
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
29,122 posts
Age 48
Male
On the trails

Oh man. The more you post about this the harder time I'm going to have resisting a purchase.
Unread 2017-03-01, 10:52   #4
b0rg9
Mecha+ Member

Jan 6 2004
8,963 posts
Age 52
Male
clearwater, FL

The cabinet parts should arrive today. It may be a few weeks before I can get to it, though (lots of house stuff to tend to first - biz before pleasure).

Computer stuff should arrive soon, too. I just went ahead and busted for a copy of Windows 10. The box will be legit.

There's a whole internet world with these roms. I have the latest roms from this place. They're pretty strict about not being a leech but it seems like a super cool community so far.

http://www.pleasuredome.org.uk/

The front-end I'm going to give a go at first is Hyperspin. I like the way it looks. It may not be the easiest one to use but the payoff for a slick menu system will be worth it I think.

http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/

That's about all I know so far. As soon as I have any pics or video to share I will!
Unread 2017-03-26, 21:14   #5
b0rg9
Mecha+ Member

Jan 6 2004
8,963 posts
Age 52
Male
clearwater, FL

Was gonna go with Hyperspin for a frontend but was introduced to this half-price offer to the tried and true GameEX frontend. Hope I made the right choice. The interface looks sweet and user-friendly. Lord knows I'll be tweaking the shit out of all kinds of settings so somethting a little more refined out-of-the-box is welcome. This is also free, btw, for anyone just trying it out.

https://www.spesoft.com/news/gameex-...alf-price.aspx
Unread 2017-03-27, 13:18   #6
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
29,122 posts
Age 48
Male
On the trails

ash and I went to a "classic" arcade a couple weeks ago with his son and it had a couple machines that I'm pretty sure were running Hyperspin. The interface looked like this:

http://www.arcadepunks.com/wp-conten...20game4-1-.png

While the interface itself ran OK, we tried to play Tekken and it ran like shit. Plus, with thousands of games to cycle through, the interface seemed a bit unwieldy. Overall we gave up on the machine and went back to playing stuff like Robotron.
Unread 2017-03-27, 14:19   #7
b0rg9
Mecha+ Member

Jan 6 2004
8,963 posts
Age 52
Male
clearwater, FL

Yeah I have a whole big project ahead of me when it comes to that. I'm going to pick and choose which games go in and not just glom the whole complete MAME Roms and CHDs (compressed hunks of data, for the newer games that had optic and hard drives) sets into it all at once.

It was only $24 for the lifetime GameEX subscription. It seems well-received by some of the cabinet vets out there. I look forward to checking it out. So far the computer is still a pile of parts in my living room. Thought I'd be farther along by now but every weekend it's been one thing or another.
Unread 2017-04-05, 20:29   #8
AsMuch

Dec 2 2005
6,089 posts
Age 38
Male
Massachusetts

Tell me more! I'm on the edge of my seat!
Unread 2017-04-05, 20:46   #9
b0rg9
Mecha+ Member

Jan 6 2004
8,963 posts
Age 52
Male
clearwater, FL

Well, stuff happened, and I haven't gotten much new news to post about.

But I'll have a whole week off in the next few to get the cabinet put together. I'll hopefully have the computer online by then.

Basically, I've been fucking around with arcade emulators pretty much since broadband came around, but it's always been thru a UI on my computer. A sort of shitty half-assed way to go, "Hey, I remember that game -- wish I could play it correctly".

Back then this was too much of a DIY for me to even think of doing. But now I have an IKEA type project cabinet (linked above) to put together, a cheapo 32" 720p monitor from Best Buy and about $700 in parts from Newegg to shove together and I'll have a very nice arcade upright that will play everything from the '70's to the 2000's.

It's gotten me involved in torrents and when it comes to the games from the mid-nineties on there's a shit-ton of data (432 gig for my latest CHD set). There's so much obscure crap in that that I'll only use a small fraction of that but in the spirit of the sharing community I try to keep all that I can to seed.
Unread 2017-05-08, 14:42   #10
b0rg9
Mecha+ Member

Jan 6 2004
8,963 posts
Age 52
Male
clearwater, FL

Some pics...

Click the image to open in full size.

I love the Donkey Kong blue stools I got for my birthday. I picked that color. It was that or pacman yellow -- I like the blue better.

I ordered a black handle from Home Depot for the keyboard drawer. It was about impossible to open, otherwise. I think the RGB keyboard is a nice addition -- especially at night.

Glad I went with the "plus" edition for the controller that includes the spinner and dedicated 4-way joystick. It still doesn't feel like an old Pacman or Frogger stick but it is more accurate for those games than the Eight-ways. I haven't wired the coin door to be operational. In order to wire it I'd need to get into the controller and that would void the warranty. Not worth it. It still lights though, so that's cool enough for now.
Unread 2017-05-08, 14:57   #11
NocturnalGuy
Mecha+ Member

Oct 22 2003
4,755 posts
Age 45
Male
T.O.

Sweet!
Unread 2017-05-08, 18:07   #12
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
29,122 posts
Age 48
Male
On the trails

THAT IS AWESOME!
Unread 2017-05-08, 18:10   #13
Chuck

May 6 2003
15,313 posts
Age 61
Male
The real America not that part where you live.

100% badass
Unread 2017-05-09, 13:01   #14
FulanoDeTal
Mecha+ Member

Jul 25 2006
5,260 posts
Age 39
Male
Indianapolis, IN

So when are you holding your open house and inviting us all to come play?
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-05-09, 15:22   #15
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
29,122 posts
Age 48
Male
On the trails

I demand the coin slot works before I will come play it

No I don't!
Unread 2017-11-18, 18:02   #16
b0rg9
Mecha+ Member

Jan 6 2004
8,963 posts
Age 52
Male
clearwater, FL

Tiny Arcade toys came in this week. Really nice affordable minatures. I just need to see a Burgertime one. Since it's Midway it'll probably never happen :(

Yo dawg, I hear you like games in your games, so here's some cabinets on your cabinet so you can pew while you pew (or something -- I suck at the yo dawg jokes)

Unread 2017-11-21, 16:24   #17
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
29,122 posts
Age 48
Male
On the trails

Those things are cool as shit!
Go Back   Mechapixel Forums > Discussion > Hobbies & Addictions > My retro multicade project
Post New Thread Reply