Post New Thread Reply
Unread 2010-11-19, 15:34   #1
aarkieboy

Feb 5 2003
86,071 posts
Age 63
Male
Somewhere on this ball we call "Earth"

"A flight attendant and cancer survivor has revealed her horror at being forced to show her prosthetic breast to a security agent during a pat-down at Charlotte Douglas International Airport.

Cathy Bossi from South Charlotte has been a flight attendant for over 30 years and has worked for U.S. Airways for the past 28 years.

She said she was asked to go through the full body-scanners at the airport in early August which she was reluctant to do because of fears of the radiation from the machine passing through her body.

The 3-year-breast cancer survivor agreed, but was then asked by two female Charlotte TSA agents to go to a private room for further screening, and they began what Ms Bossi described as an aggressive pat down.

She said they stopped when they got around to feeling her right breast - the one she had lost through her illness.

Ms Bossi said: 'She put her full hand on my breast and said, 'What is this?'. And I said, 'It's my prosthesis because I've had breast cancer.' And she said, 'Well, you'll need to show me that'.'

She was then apparently asked to remove the prosthetic breast from her bra and show it to the TSA agents." (More)
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Unread 2010-11-19, 15:35   #2
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
33,228 posts
Age 50
Male
On the trails

The TSA is really taking some lumps this week.
Unread 2010-11-19, 15:39   #3
Chuck

May 6 2003
16,684 posts
Age 63
Male
The real America not that part where you live.

Click the image to open in full size.
Unread 2010-11-19, 16:24   #4
B L

Jun 11 2005
2,473 posts
Age 54
Male
a whale's vagina

Ignore it and sure as fuck it turns out to be a boobie bomb.

How about on the way to the private room she mentions that she has a prosthesis?

I gotta say our prevailing attitude towards airport security is trending towards what it was a decade ago. Remember all the jokes about "did anyone ask you to carry anything?" etc.?
Unread 2010-11-19, 17:42   #5
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
33,228 posts
Age 50
Male
On the trails

for Obey

While on one hand I think people will grudgingly accept pretty much anything after a while, Americans can be pretty uptight about their bodies (and I'm not saying it's a bad thing to want privacy) so I don't see this being accepted as quickly as other "security" measures. I put that in quotes because security is an illusion, to paraphrase Tyler Durden. We're never going to be absolutely safe, so where does it end? That first C4 buttplug incident is going to be interesting.
Unread 2010-11-19, 18:12   #6
B L

Jun 11 2005
2,473 posts
Age 54
Male
a whale's vagina

Quote:
Originally Posted by RepoMan View Post
...That first C4 buttplug incident is going to be interesting.
You never forget your first.
Unread 2010-11-19, 20:28   #7
AsMuch

Dec 2 2005
6,091 posts
Age 40
Male
Massachusetts

Like I said before, did you already check your butt?
Unread 2010-11-19, 20:34   #8
ash#

Nov 1 2004
9,986 posts
Age 47
Male
One of those indoor shopping malls

I don't really get the outrage here. If you don't want them to check your dick for a dick bomb, or check your tit for a tit bomb, go in the fucking scanner. It's not like they are taking naked photos of you and putting them on your fucking facebook page.

I am sure people will be singing an entirely different tune when the next plane blows up. Then people will be ok with all this shit for a couple months or a couple years, then they will forget because they are stupid and people will be outraged about security at fucking airports again.

And yea, BL, would you please just check your ass for the damn butt plug.
Unread 2010-11-19, 20:55   #9
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
33,228 posts
Age 50
Male
On the trails

What they need to do is make it like a spa atmosphere. You walk through a private area with new age music going, water trickling into a hand-crafted basin filled with rose petals... you disrobe and a disarmingly attractive "facilitator" twirls you around while inspecting you, all the while telling you what a beautiful and unique snowflake you are... then you're given your terrycloth robe for the flight and you board with your fellow robed travel-mates and you all fly happily and content until the plane lands, where you disembark, retrieve your clothes, and are booted onto the street with all the other douchebags, content in the knowledge that you have arrived safely at your crappy destination where no one likes you because you're an American.
Unread 2010-11-19, 21:00   #10
ash#

Nov 1 2004
9,986 posts
Age 47
Male

Sound good to me.

I am just really sick of all the outrage. Everything that happens, people have to be outraged. What the fuck. Everyone just shut the fuck up and relax. And the politicians jumping on the bandwagon trying to gain political advantage by taking up the case of the outraged public. Shut the fuck all of you douchies.

Man I am cranky tonight. What the hell.
Unread 2010-11-19, 21:03   #11
b0rg9
Mecha+ Member

Jan 6 2004
9,853 posts
Age 54
Male
clearwater, FL

Click the image to open in full size.
Unread 2010-11-19, 21:07   #12
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
33,228 posts
Age 50
Male
On the trails

Hell yeah, you're totally right. The next plane goes down, people will be outraged that the government didn't do more and the same politicians will turn around and blame whatever agency they were railing against for invasion of privacy. It just depends which way the wind blows and right now it's blowing in a way that the government gets to see you wear Depends.

You want fickle? Look no farther than our own city at Sir Michael Vick. Suddenly this dog killer, probably a fucker for all we know, is now some big hero because he throws a ball.

edit: at borg9
Unread 2010-11-19, 21:25   #13
b0rg9
Mecha+ Member

Jan 6 2004
9,853 posts
Age 54
Male
clearwater, FL

Aw shit, you had to bring up the dog killer?

Yeah I think that it's fucking pathetic that people's attention span is so short when it comes to this stuff. And all the, "Well, he did serve his time..." narrative really rings shallow with me. Yeah, he served his time so he can walk free again, not so he'd have my respect!

He needs a prosthetic tit shoved up his ass, as far as I'm concerned. Yeah I guess the crankiness is in the air tonight, isn't it?
Unread 2010-11-19, 21:28   #14
ash#

Nov 1 2004
9,986 posts
Age 47
Male

dude if he got six touchdowns for YOUR team last week you would be singing a different tune pal.
Unread 2010-11-19, 21:29   #15
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
33,228 posts
Age 50
Male
On the trails

You know why we haven't seen Osama? It's because he's been practicing hard to become a kicker. Word is he has been able to repeatedly kick 65-yard field goals in practice.
Unread 2010-11-19, 21:36   #16
b0rg9
Mecha+ Member

Jan 6 2004
9,853 posts
Age 54
Male
clearwater, FL

man, I listen to sports radio in my car pretty much all the time that I'm not listening to public radio (it's the only AM radio that doesn't make me want to punch the dash), and yeah, even down here, it's all about how he's thoughtfully turned around his life and blah blah blah.

I really do give it a pass because, after all, there are pieces of shit in all fields of practice. But like child molesters, it's hard for me to wrap my head around the fact that someone who used to fight dogs, kill them and otherwise abuse them for sport -- has totally become a changed person no matter how long they stared at cinder block and bars.

Unread 2010-11-19, 22:09   #17
PegLeg
Mecha+ Member

Nov 1 2004
2,284 posts
SoPo, Me

I am a cancer survivor (20 years last month). My prosthetic leg gets all kinds of extra attention every time I go through airport security. I know people react to these things differently, but for me it has never been a problem. The way I see it my amputation was my one day cure. So if it takes me a little longer to get inspections, detections, neglections and all kinds of stuff, because of the thing that keeps my from falling over every time I take a step, it ain't no big whoop. And thus far the TSA has been totally cool with me because I don't cop a tude with them. The day may come when I have to go all Penn Jillette on their ass, but it hasn't happened yet.

The TSA gate keepers don't make the rules, the just try to enforce them. And with any group there are going to be idiots that can't do the job and take their frustrations on the public. If she got one of those that is entirely different than thinking you should get a pass because she lost a body part to that fucking dreadful disease. If one feels that way they really need a reality check. Start by thinking about the people that were so inconvenienced by that fucking dreadful disease that they died. Stop being all woe is me and start living the life you have been given a second chance with.

That which did not kill me, made me stronger.
Unread 2010-11-20, 5:50   #18
Chuck

May 6 2003
16,684 posts
Age 63
Male

Here is my problem with all this, we submit to humiliation at the airport. Next a sleeper cell here in America uses car bombs to do damage. Do we then set up police checkpoints everywhere for inspection? A person walks into a downtown area with a backpack full of explosives and it goes off, do we then stop people walking and give them a full pat down and questioning? Be careful how much you ask for to feel safe, you may get it.
Not saying we mustn't be vigilant, but bomb sniffing dogs could probably do a better job than TSA agents. Air marshals on planes, yep I loved that. Fellow citizens looking for suspicious activity, yes it can be helpful too.
Unread 2010-11-20, 9:07   #19
ash#

Nov 1 2004
9,986 posts
Age 47
Male

There is definitely a balance between intrusiveness of searching and the risk of an attack. And I agree that in an open society like ours(if you want to keep it open) there will always be risk. But I guess what I am not getting is why people just don't go in the scanner if they don't want to be searched. You think people can't tell you are fat with clothes on? Or if you have a tiny dick, you think the guy looking at the scanner fucking cares? He sees thousands of those things a day, you think anyone cares what one scan looks like?

Unless there is hard evidence that there is a health risk here, I don't have a problem with the scanner and I just don't get the problem. Doesn't seem like that much to ask to ensure a safe plane.
Unread 2010-11-20, 9:17   #20
Chuck

May 6 2003
16,684 posts
Age 63
Male

For the occasional traveler I would think little risk, to an airline employee who is constantly exposed, well who knows.
Unread 2010-11-21, 3:23   #21
B L

Jun 11 2005
2,473 posts
Age 54
Male
a whale's vagina

FOUND IT!!
Unread 2010-11-21, 9:05   #22
AsMuch

Dec 2 2005
6,091 posts
Age 40
Male
Massachusetts

Unread 2010-11-26, 6:28   #23
Chuck

May 6 2003
16,684 posts
Age 63
Male

Step B http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010...-mass-transit/
Unread 2010-11-26, 6:46   #24
JangoFett
Mecha+ Member

Nov 1 2004
3,467 posts
Age 40
Male
Long, long ago in a galaxy far, far away

That's just the start. Just wait until it shows up at sporting events, concerts, bus stations, and everywhere else a metal detector is used.

Then when the first mall bombing happens, every store and restaurant will have one.

10 years after that, the first cases of cancer from the machines (probably from TSA agents) are filed against the government.

20 years of denial later, the government will admit that the machines cause cancer and give everyone affected giant checks.
Go Back   Mechapixel Forums > Main > Aarkie's Corner > Cancer survivor forced to show prosthetic breast to TSA agents
Post New Thread Reply