Post New Thread Reply
Unread 2017-03-15, 11:23   #1
aarkieboy

Feb 5 2003
86,030 posts
Age 63
Male
Somewhere on this ball we call "Earth"

"A Patriot missile - usually priced at about $3m (£2.5m) - was used to shoot down a small quadcopter drone, according to a US general.

The strike was made by a US ally, Gen David Perkins told a military symposium.

"That quadcopter that cost 200 bucks from Amazon.com did not stand a chance against a Patriot," he said.

Patriots are radar-targeted weapons more commonly used to shoot down enemy aircraft and ballistic missiles.

"Now, that worked, they got it, OK, and we love Patriot missiles," the general said.

Recently, there have been reports that some groups, for example in Iraq, have taken to attaching weapons to small, commercial drones and using them against security forces.

However, Gen Perkins suggested deploying large surface-to-air missiles as a defence was probably not economically wise.

"I'm not sure that's a good economic exchange ratio," he told an audience at the Association of the United States Army's Global Force symposium in Alabama." (More)
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-03-15, 14:33   #2
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
33,209 posts
Age 50
Male
On the trails

I'm not sure that's a good economic exchange ratio

Great for Raytheon, though! Hell, they should send ISIS some Amazon gift cards for a couple hundred bucks a month so they can keep buying drones that we can shoot down.
Go Back   Mechapixel Forums > Main > Aarkie's Corner > $200 drone shot down with $3M Patriot missile
Post New Thread Reply