Post New Thread Reply
Unread 2019-11-16, 23:08   #1
aarkieboy

Feb 5 2003
86,315 posts
Age 63
Male
Somewhere on this ball we call "Earth"

Battery power is one of those things that’s always at a premium, especially when you’re traveling and need to use one of the precious few power outlets at the airport to keep your device charged.

This week, the LA County District Attorney’s office put out a warning to remind everyone of one way you shouldn’t keep that device charged: a public USB port.

We warned people about using public USB ports back in May.

The issue is that public USB ports can potentially be hacked so that they install data-stealing malware onto your phone while you charge up. Called “juice-jacking,” the hack could result in scammers getting access to your passwords, personal information and more.

If you do use one of the ports (don’t!), make sure you’re not agreeing to give the port access to data on your device. Depending on your device, you might see a pop up when you connect asking if you trust the device. You do not." (More)
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Unread 2019-11-17, 19:11   #2
h2ogate

Feb 4 2003
1,721 posts
Age 63
Male
Downtown San Jose, CA

Or uses a condom (a modified USB cable with only the power wires connected through).
Unread 2019-11-18, 11:58   #3
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
33,331 posts
Age 50
Male
On the trails

Also, is it really called "juice-jacking" because that just sounds gross.

I feel like someone should market a line of these called "No-Jack Cordman". Instead of Bojack's image, use the horse guy from Ren & Stimpy as the mascot saying, "Juice-Jacking? No sir, I don't like it."

To really rip of some IP while marketing a product meant to protect you from getting ripped off.

You know, I feel like I'm always going to come up short from the million dollar idea. Like it's almost there but then my GPS directs me into a big lake and I follow.
Unread 2019-11-18, 23:12   #4
h2ogate

Feb 4 2003
1,721 posts
Age 63
Male
Downtown San Jose, CA

Go Back   Mechapixel Forums > Main > Aarkie's Corner > Stop Using Public USB Ports to Charge Your Phone
Post New Thread Reply