Ved
Administrator

Feb 3 2003
4,685 posts
Age 42
Male
Dallas

Hello friends,

I'm preparing to leave the web host I've used since this site sprung up in 2003. We've gone from shared hosting to a dedicated server for a while, then after photoshopping and activity fell off a cliff a VPS plan. That plan (since 2006-7 I think) has fluctuated between $20-30 per month, but I've been fine with it since I use it for a couple other small development sites along with Mecha.

Well things have changed and my host discovered they've been undercharging me for a year since cPanel licensing fees went through the roof, and now my monthly rate will be $50+. I'm not doing that, so I'm leaving JaguarPC.

I don't know where we're going, but I do know this forum and site that is wrapped within will break, because it's running on old-ass PHP. I can fix it and maybe actually update some things for the first time in over a decade, but I can also put up something simpler. We've talked about this before briefly I think, years ago.

Another option is to move to something like IRC or Discord. I'm not even considering a Facebook group personally, and I know many or most of you don't fuck with Facebook.

Has anyone here used Discord? It sprung up a few years ago for gamers, because it offers robust chat and voice channels in one UI. There's a PC/Mac/mobile client for it but it can also be accessed straight in a web browser. I'm in lots of discord servers and I run a few as well.

I'm also in a Discord with 6 long-time friends, and this is what made me think of it as an option. This small group basically moved from IRC to Discord a couple years ago, and it's wonderful. It just has a few special interest channels and It's invite-only, basically closed off from the public.

Would this (or some other medium) be of any interest to you guys? Even though it's something NEW, it does have many benefits, such as chats older than a few days not disappearing, links/image previews and such.

Please let me know your thoughts. I absolutely want to keep our tiny community together, I'm just looking for something more modern and better than a Shoutbox I guess since change is coming anyway.

EDIT:

We're going to try out Discord as a Shoutbox/communication replacement, details in my post below: http://mechapixel.com/forums/showpos...0&postcount=12

Last edited by Ved; 2020-01-10 at 14:39. Reason: added Discord info
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Unread 2020-01-09, 14:14   #2
ash#

Nov 1 2004
10,068 posts
Age 47
Male
One of those indoor shopping malls

I'm good with anything except a facebook group, since I am not in fact, on facebook. My only hope is that we have a shoutbox style chat, and Aarkie's Corner. Otherwise I'm good.
Unread 2020-01-09, 14:33   #3
b0rg9
Mecha+ Member

Jan 6 2004
9,906 posts
Age 54
Male
clearwater, FL

Yep. Gots to have Aarkie's and a shoutbox (and maybe the PWA banner ads????). And no facepage here, either.

Otherwise yeah I'm good with anything that works for you. Thanks!
Unread 2020-01-09, 14:55   #4
ash#

Nov 1 2004
10,068 posts
Age 47
Male
One of those indoor shopping malls

Also, would be happy to chip in a couple bucks too to help defray the cost.
Unread 2020-01-09, 18:51   #5
kokopelli
Administrator

Feb 4 2003
6,480 posts
Male
Stavromula Beta

I'm fine with anything that keeps this site going. I realize most of us are not actively photoshopping anymore, but this is still a great place to hang out.
Unread 2020-01-09, 21:17   #6
b0rg9
Mecha+ Member

Jan 6 2004
9,906 posts
Age 54
Male
clearwater, FL

I'll throw bucks at this too w/o hesitation. I need a favor though...

You MUST have the puddin' friday theme - and it must kick in on thursday night like it's been doing for a while.

Or all deals are OFF.
Unread 2020-01-09, 21:34   #7
Ved
Administrator

Feb 3 2003
4,685 posts
Age 42
Male
Dallas

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm well maybe we can test out discord just to see, it would be good to have some place to chat anyway while the site is down for upgrading, even if temporary. Or maybe it's liked well enough and we keep it for communications but Mechapixel just becomes the photoshop archive but no forum.

It has channels rather than forums, so you basically shift from threads (1 for each topic) to ongoing discussions where links can still be thrown in. Like there can still be an Aarkie's Corner channel, Aarkie's Backdoor channel (that gives you a NSFW prompt rather than password). So all of that can be accommodated, except the banners and theme sadly (puddin Friday) since it's a client with a fixed light or dark theme.

Maybe I'll just set one up and we'll see how it goes. I need to get off of this web host by the end of the month so there is a lil time.
Unread 2020-01-10, 8:26   #8
Chuck

May 6 2003
16,759 posts
Age 63
Male
The real America not that part where you live.

I'm good with whatever keeps us communicating.
Unread 2020-01-10, 8:56   #9
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
33,484 posts
Age 50
Male
On the trails

I like the Discord idea, I like to be with it and it's what all the kids are doing these days, right?

"It is happening to youuuuuu."

As for Puddin Friday, we can just imagine the light and dark themes are vanilla and chocolate.

We appreciate you keeping everything going here for so long, but change is inevitable. I think we can work out how we can all still keep in touch and get our daily Aarkie fix and shoutbox-ish comms.
Unread 2020-01-10, 12:01   #10
NocturnalGuy
Mecha+ Member

Oct 22 2003
5,197 posts
Age 47
Male
T.O.

Ditto all the above re shoutbox-type thing and Aarkie's. I also do occasionally dip into the old contest archives... it would be nice to have that stuff hosted somewhere. I'd certainly be cool with chipping in a few bucks towards whatever the new setup is!
Unread 2020-01-10, 12:06   #11
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
33,484 posts
Age 50
Male
On the trails

Maybe a Mecha imgur account as an archive? Also agreed on any $$$.
Unread 2020-01-10, 13:55   #12
Ved
Administrator

Feb 3 2003
4,685 posts
Age 42
Male
Dallas

Okay I got it set up - hop in and we'll see how it goes.

Discord can be accessed via browser or a PC/Mac/Android/iPhone app:

https://discordapp.com/

Everyone will need to create an account on the site above (it's free), and verify your email. I'd just suggest creating a name that matches or is similar to your Mechapixel username, but you can go with whatever you like and change your nickname anytime.

Then, join the Mechapixel discord here: https://discord.gg/DuwUqJZ

I already started moving over some emoticons but we have so many, will do more later and/or by request.
Unread 2020-01-10, 14:27   #13
Ved
Administrator

Feb 3 2003
4,685 posts
Age 42
Male
Dallas

Once you've joined the server, if you prefer not to use the app or have it on your phone, you can bookmark it just like you'd bookmark these forums in your browser. This is the direct link to the Mechapixel Shoutbox channel on Discord:

https://discordapp.com/channels/6650...67516908929057

I personally think the service makes it waaaay easier to communicate with each other. I know some of you check Mecha occasionally throughout the day, while others may only check it every few days, or even longer in my case. The message retention and features, plus ability to ping people (or ignore pings if you wish) is really neat.

Edit: and Chuck is the first victi member to hop in
Unread 2020-01-10, 16:38   #14
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
33,484 posts
Age 50
Male
On the trails

Not sure I'm in the right place... I only show AsMuch and FDT as members?

Click the image to open in full size.
Unread 2020-01-10, 17:11   #15
Ved
Administrator

Feb 3 2003
4,685 posts
Age 42
Male
Dallas

Ohh I see. It looks like AsMuch started a discord server and called it Mechapixel based on those messages in the screenshot from 2017. So it appears it has been there a while, and just has the same name as the new one. I am unsure how you wound up there!

To join the one I created today, just click my link above and it should add you to it. Actually I can send an invite to you, I see your tag there in the bottom left. Check the friends icon thingy in the top left
Unread 2020-01-10, 17:23   #16
Ved
Administrator

Feb 3 2003
4,685 posts
Age 42
Male
Dallas

Also Repo would you mind messaging AsMuch and FDT there to let them know we started this thing? I don't have a way to DM them (can't see their user tags in the screenshot) but you could since you're in that other Mechapixel server.
Unread 2020-01-12, 10:18   #17
NocturnalGuy
Mecha+ Member

Oct 22 2003
5,197 posts
Age 47
Male
T.O.

I think Discord is a great alternative to the shoutbox, but I'm not sure about how Aarkie's will translate... It's been nice to be able to pick and choose which threads to open, and to have each one self-contained with its comments. I guess we see how it feels once more stuff gets posted...
Unread 2020-01-12, 10:24   #18
RepoMan

Jun 24 2003
33,484 posts
Age 50
Male
On the trails

Ah I figured out what I was doing wrong. I didn't click the invite link, I was trying to go straight to the channel.
Unread 2020-01-14, 11:24   #19
Ved
Administrator

Feb 3 2003
4,685 posts
Age 42
Male
Dallas

Reposting here in case it gets lost in the Shoutbox...

I'm probably going to move the website to our new host this weekend, which will definitely cause it to break for a while due to old-ass software and compatibility issues.

Please be sure you've joined the Mechapixel discord if you want to keep in touch during the downtime, which could be a while. I posted instructions in this thread, a few posts up.
Go Back   Mechapixel Forums > Main > General > Mechapixel is moving......somewhere... need input
Post New Thread Reply